Realmantic Identity, Bones and Hats

Quiver

So... random thing that occured to me while I was reading Shadows of Self. Wayne makes a comment to the effect that a hat helps you get into the same frame of mind as the person you are impersonating, which MeLann agrees with. 

Should their comments about hats and bones be taken as literal? Can a certain set of bones (or clothes) help influence someone's realmantic identity so much? After all, Wax chose his own clothes and acted a certain way to create his own image in the Roughs, so...

Yeah. I'm wondering how literal comments should be considered.

So... random thing that occured to me while I was reading Shadows of Self. Wayne makes a comment to the effect that a hat helps you get into the same frame of mind as the person you are impersonating, which MeLann agrees with. 

Should their comments about hats and bones be taken as literal? Can a certain set of bones (or clothes) help influence someone's realmantic identity so much? After all, Wax chose his own clothes and acted a certain way to create his own image in the Roughs, so...

I believe that was the same conversation that MeLaan accused Wayne of conning everybody about his apparent wisdom, so I'd take all of it with a grain of salt.  Wayne-thought theory is a strange, new discipline of science that nobody's quite got a handle on yet.  ;)

I believe that was the same conversation that MeLaan accused Wayne of conning everybody about his apparent wisdom, so I'd take all of it with a grain of salt.  Wayne-thought theory is a strange, new discipline of science that nobody's quite got a handle on yet.  ;)

Might be simpler than Advanced Realmatics, though.

Well, we have that comment in the annotations that Wayne is just a method actor, so I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that what he's doing has anything to do with realmatic identity.

As for Kandra and bones... bones for the Kandra are a handy euphemism for "beings I have eaten." It's the eating part that's relevant to taking their shape. The bones don't matter that much, although using the exact same bones probably makes it easier to die convincingly.

• Chaos locked this topic