Shadows of Self Tour: London Forbidden Planet signing

ParadoxicalZen

Uber psyched for tonight! Going to get there for 6ish, as if the Gollancz event on Saturday was truly like what Havoc had said it was, I fear the queue will be storming huge. Still not settled on all of my questions but going to see if I can swipe an extra five min or so after, see if I can get a few juicy Ultimate List questions done.

On my list at the moment though;

Why would Hoid be tempted by Endowment?

Can you describe the Dor physically? Is it like a fusion of Devotion and Dominion or is it more one than the other/patchy in places? Or perhaps a combination of the above?

Is there a gemstone in the Moon Sceptre that is related to Selish Investiture?

Did the separation of the Rose Empire and the Jindoese people have any connection or lead up to Devotion and Dominion's shattering?

Can you give us the actual Intent of the Shard that want's to hide and survive, or perhaps the name of another holder?

I'll be the guy in the Halestorm t-shirt so say Hi :D

Edited by ParadoxSpren

Now for the good one; 3) In what way is the Moon Sceptre linked to the Dor?

Brandon - I think we can canonise this. So the Moon Sceptre-...so the sceptre is kinda like the Rosetta Stone. You can use it to translate the symbols from one system to the symbols of another and can use it to understand their meaning (paraphrased a bit, but simply put Moon Sceptre = Seliash/Selian Investiture Rosetta Stone) Almost thought I was going to get RAFO'd but I didn't

:D

Ooooohhhh... Shiny.  :o

So the Scepter lets you understand the meaning of other symbols...

How exactly does it do that? I mean, couldn't you do that if you studied them all?

Also, does it allow you to achieve the same effect in a different symbology? For instance, could it allow you to use Forging to achieve the same effect as an Aon you are studying with it?

How exactly does it do that? I mean, couldn't you do that if you studied them all?

Maybe it strips away requirements for its use (location based aon's for example) and supplies a direct link to the Dor?

Also, does it allow you to achieve the same effect in a different symbology? For instance, could it allow you to use Forging to achieve the same effect as an Aon you are studying with it?

Havoc, can you help with any building on it? I can't quite remember if Brandon said you can translate the symbols for use or not. On another note, perhaps this is how Hoid is translating between Shardworlds. His Babel Fish as Argent so aptly named? Edited by ParadoxSpren

We knew previously the scepter was involved with the "proximity problem" of Selish Investitures. It sounds like you need to use different symbols on different planets to use Investiture there, as many have speculated.

Basically, I'm thinking to use AonDor off-world you:

• Need to get some Investiture into the Cognitive Realm, (we know some already exists there, so this may be a non-problem)
  • Determine a set of symbols for that geography as a translated version of the Selish system you want to use,
  • And then find some way to interface with the non-Dor Investiture and your presumably Spiritweb-attached abilities to use said Selish system (much like finding a way to use Stormlight to power Allomancy).

Some ability in your Spiritweb would be related to AonDor's abilities. The ability an Elantrian would have is "program Investiture", and the specifics of how to do that would be different between different types of Investiture/geographies.

It would seemingly just be like using a different programming language which is compiled to a different instruction set, or that's how I'm thinking of it in my head. It's still programming, even if it's wildly different in the low-level details.

Maybe my mind is just frazzled from doing too much assembly lately, but I do not see this as being too different from, say, bypassing the use of metals in Allomancy by directly using Stormlight to power your abilities.

To re-ask your question, what about using Stormlight to power Allomancy is actually doing Allomancy? You're not burning metals. I'm not sure on the answer, but I'm basically just going on "well something about the power set is just encoded on your soul" and thinking with enough hacking it might work.

Edited by Moogle

I actually think most of the Selish magic can't be used in other places is because there's none/hardly any left in the spiritual realm, which is the same everywhere. It only works in areas where there is a buildup of power in the cognitive realm. To access the Dor in other places, I think you would have to actually move some of the Dor to where you want to magic, or somehow put some back into the spiritual realm. 

Or am I just grandly missing things?

Edit: Perhaps there is some Dor tied to the staff in the cognitive realm, and bringing it somewhere would accomplish what I said above?

Edited by Khyrindor

First post on here... 

As I was at the very front of the queue I decided to ask very simple and quick questions.

1) Is there anything to Wayne's inability to hold guns and bullets?

Brandon: No, it's all psychological. It's post traumatic stress disorder really.

2) What is Wayne's effect/perk from being a Twinborn?

Brandon: I haven't actually written it yet so you will have to wait for that one.

3) Is there anything special about Wayne's ability to imitate others?

Brandon: No, that's definitely just him. He just understands people really well.

I wish I had audio, but unfortunately Sophie (the publicist) had my phone for pictures... Next time!

Also, I know question number 3 had been answered already, but I wasn't sure if it had been answered since SoS came out and I thought he might have changed his mind about it... :) 

I had a few questions for Brandon as well, and since I'm writing this 4 hours after the fact, these might not be the exact answers. But here's what he said:

1) You mentioned at a previous signing that we have already met a member of every order of the Knights Radiant. Have we met two Edgedancers, and has the Dustbringer been a POV character?

Brandon: Well it depends on whether you consider the Heralds members of their order. They are part of their respective orders, because they are the head of the order. If you take out the Heralds, you actually haven't met a member of every order yet. I'm pretty sure that you have met two Edgedancers.

2) Have we met a Dustbringer yet?

Brandon: The Dustbringers are a bit of a special case, so let's shelve that one for later.

As you might be able to figure out, I was trying to get a hint as to what order Adolin may one day belong to (there's been some debate on Dustbringer/Edgedancer). Considering Brandon's answers, I'm going with Edgedancer, because there are only very few characters that fit the Edgedancer characteristics. 

I had a few questions for Brandon as well, and since I'm writing this 4 hours after the fact, these might not be the exact answers. But here's what he said:

1) You mentioned at a previous signing that we have already met a member of every order of the Knights Radiant. Have we met two Edgedancers, and has the Dustbringer been a POV character?

Brandon: Well it depends on whether you consider the Heralds members of their order. They are part of their respective orders, because they are the head of the order. If you take out the Heralds, you actually haven't met a member of every order yet. I'm pretty sure that you have met two Edgedancers.

2) Have we met a Dustbringer yet?

Brandon: The Dustbringers are a bit of a special case, so let's shelve that one for later.

As you might be able to figure out, I was trying to get a hint as to what order Adolin may one day belong to (there's been some debate on Dustbringer/Edgedancer). Considering Brandon's answers, I'm going with Edgedancer, because there are only very few characters that fit the Edgedancer characteristics. 

Wow that's great, but the second Edgedancer could be Ym... so it may not mean much for Adolin. Also, since he currently is not a Radiant, I dunno if he would count anyway.

The Dustbringer answer is quite interesting and more or less kills of the "Adolin becomes a Dustbringer" theory. It does not look as if we met one yet.

Wow that's great, but the second Edgedancer could be Ym... so it may not mean much for Adolin. Also, since he currently is not a Radiant, I dunno if he would count anyway.

The Dustbringer answer is quite interesting and more or less kills of the "Adolin becomes a Dustbringer" theory. It does not look as if we met one yet.

I'd say it is still ambiguous because Adolin has the potential to be both but is actually neither, if going by the wording of the question. It only deepens the intrigue