Gaz's death

Zas678

The idea below seems like a very good solution to the problem (upvote!). It also inspired me to think of an alternate solution.

The one fly in the ointment that I see is that it would be logical for the salvage crews to be searched by more than one person for security and corruption issues.

A classic in the blackmail genre is the drop-message for protection. So Lamaril left the information he was using to blackmail Gaz with someone with instructions to reveal it to the most dangerous person in the event something untoward happened to him. Something untoward happened to him that Gaz was involved in. The information was revealed to the people Gaz least wanted it revealed to and some consequence befell Gaz.

This is also purely conjecture and involves too many loose ends to feel satisfying.

Personally, I think it's more likely that L was actively protecting Gaz in some way in exchange for the bribes, perhaps by suppressing rumors or just strongarming his peers and superiors to keep Gaz alive. He doesn't even need to have blackmail material, in that scenario: Gaz knows that L doesn't lose out on much if he drops his protection, but L likes to bully and extort money from Gaz. If L is ever in a tight spot, he's got a dependant to save him, and poor Gaz at least stays alive, taking out his cruelty and frustration on the bridgemen he is reduced to caring for.

• 2 months later...

"May I ask? Gaz hasn't been seen for some days now. Is he well?"
"No." Kaladin waited for further reply, but [Hashal] didn't give one.

It has been a while since anyone discussed this topic on this thread, but I think Hashal's response of "No" was to Kaladin's "May I ask?" question and not to the "Is he well?" question.  It is possible that she has no idea where Gaz is and this is why she responded in such a manner. This doesn't provide much, and the only thing I think it might do is possibly removing the theories that Hashal had something to do with his disappearance.

I see mention of Hoid, but has anyone mentioned the timing of Hoid's departure? In particular, there seems a gap between his farewell at the feast and his conversation with Kal. This could simply be narrative timing, but it seems like Gaz disappears between those 2 events, which seems more than slightly suspicious. I'd make a theory about Gaz being Hoid, but even I wouldn't believe it.

Szeth could not of killed Gas. He was told to kill as many as possible like in the prologue. Something g would have circulated about a slaughter of people with burned out eyes. Further, as said before what importance could he hold that Taravangian would know of, a lowly bridge!sergeant with debts. He could have held important secrets or be part of a group like the ghostbloods, but if he were high enough in any groups' standings he would not be afraid of things such as being made a Bridgman's.

• 2 weeks later...

This thread has become the most hilarious thing with knowledge of what actually happened to Gaz.

Gaz as a Herald?

Gaz killed by Szeth?

Gaz killed by Hoid?

Taravangian spelled "Taragavinian", "Taragavanivigan", and "Taverengavian"?

Better than any joke thread I could make.

WoR Spoilers

Considering what actually happened; I think it made great sense. Gaz was always unhappy with what he was doing to the bridgemen, deep down, so it's cool how he managed to redeem himself with Shallan. To me he represents the population of dark eyed soldiers that wanted a worthy cause to fight for and were just sick of the lighteyes being lighteyes. It saddens me to think of what he may of done on the road, but his redemption and re-entry into the story was awesome. I was expecting A LOT more when he first encountered bridge four, not some tame "grr lets hold him..oh let him go now? Okay!" 

Regardless, Gaz is a pretty cool character; he is definitely going to hit radiant status in book 3 or 4 by defending Shallan some way and grow his eye back! 

Either that or he'll die a heroes death; like taking a dart for her Brightness Radiant instead ;(

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • Chaos locked this topic