Shadows of Self Tour: Newcastle

Bort

So I've got back from the signing now, and whilst I did record the audio, I don't recall anything of major significance being discussed.

Unfortunately I only got around to asking 1 question, though I will be going to the Edinburgh signing tomorrow, so I should hopefully be able to ask more there.

Q. In Words of Radiance, the Stormfather refers to himself as a Sliver, how is this the case when he is apparently a splinter?

A. (paraphrased) The stormfather is a cognitive shadow, but he doesn't know the correct terminology. Terms such as splinter and Sliver don't really apply to him. 

A. (paraphrased) The stormfather is a cognitive shadow, but he doesn't know the correct terminology. Terms such as splinter and Sliver don't really apply to him. 

Heh, rookie. Still, it's interesting. Since he is Tanavast's cognitive shadow, this suggests that Tanavast himself wasn't all that Cosmere-aware. Maybe being a Shardholder means you don't get to keep all the knowledge you acquire pretty much instantly when you pick up a Shard. 

I recorded the Q&A session, but I haven't had a chance to look at transcribing it yet. I will do that probably tomorrow. Not much of it was about the Cosmere though, and I didn't have a great seat, so I'm not sure what the quality is like.

It was a really good evening. I got three questions answered. One was a slightly disappointing answer, but the other two I was pleased with.

Q1. In Alloy of Law, it is claimed that Wayne once stole a horse which can belch in perfect pitch. Is it true? Did Wayne really steal a Returned, or otherwise invested, horse?

A: There may potentially, possibly, maybe have perhaps been something going on, but it is more likely that Wayne was pulling your leg. This was my disappointing answer. I do have to admit though, the reaction from Brandon was great. I confused the Braize out of him, and most of the audience too. He did ask if this was some crazy 17th Shard theory.

Q2. Did Shardplate always have gemstones, or were they added later, after the Recreance?

A: They were added, but maybe not just after the Recreance. (Further clarification, and Brandon stated that they were added to Shardplate about the same time that the discovery was made that adding a gemstone to a Shardblade would allow it to be bonded. I suspect that before that, the Plate was form locked, and couldn't adapt to it's wearer).

Q3. Did Nazh retrieve Jasnah's belongings from the bottom of the sea by visiting Shadesmar, finding the correct beads, and moving them to land?

A: Yes, that would be the easiest way. Brandon also added Nazh spends a fair bit of time in Shadesmar, and that this would be the first thing he would think of when asked to retrieve Jasnah's stuff.

There is a definition in the Cosmere Theories thread. Apparently, it comes from the 10th Anniversary Elantris.

I know, but term is only used in reference and never actually clarifies the definition.

1) I'm happy you got this answered as this bugged me also, especially with Hoid's comments at the end of WoR. This also makes Jasnah's Elsecalling at the end of WoR even more more suspicious.

2) I'm in agreement with you. If the theory someone posted about the origins of Shardplate is true, then it would make sense that the plate would mirror the blades to an extent

3) This is intriguing, especially after the note in the new Elantris map although perhaps his method of travel is a device or requires a Shardpool instead of hopping directly into Shadesmar

Thanks Joe :)

I've not added a transcription, because the audio I recorded was of terrible quality. Next time, I need to get there earlier, so I can get a better seat.

I've been at FantasyCon over the weekend, where Brandon was a guest of honour. About the only question I really had answered was one about the Wheel of Time.

Q: In A Memory of Light, when you wrote the chapter for the Last Battle, were you deliberately going for the world's longest ever chapter?

A: Yes. The heroes fighting the Last Battle were fighting an all-in, end-of-the-world scale battle involving most of the known world's troops. By the time the battle ended, they would have been exhausted, and I wanted the readers to be able to reflect that in how they were feeling having just finished an epic, mega chapter. Brandon also commented that that single chapter was approximately 90,000 words.

When I responded with 'Well, thanks for that. The length of that chapter, and my inability to put the book down until it was finished meant I was late for work the next day and got a written warning for it', people (including Brandon) just laughed.

I thought it was quite an interesting answer, and I wasn't expecting him to answer 'Yes'.