Well, let's get a proper Cosmere dissection thread for Shadowsilenceforesthell

Pechvarry

So, this might be a bit random. But I think I've seen mention of a WoB about Nazh being from Threnody, and even if it isn't a WoB, we can safely assume he's at least spent a great deal of time there to pick up the language from that world. (Referring to his use of "Shadows" as a curse in one of the pictures in Words of Radiance).

Now, I think we may have actually, briefly, barely seen him in Shadows for Silence. Whenever I read that story, something always sticks out at me.

Nearby, a greasy-looking fellow rose from his meal and shuffled out of the front door, looking half-drunk already, though it was only noon.

This is at the end of the short story, after the whole resolution of everything. Like I said, this just kind of sticks out to me. Now, we know Brandon picks his words rather carefully in his stories, especially, I wonder, why would he particularly mention this offhandedly?

If this isn't Nazh, then I'm fairly certain it has to be some sort of Worldhopper. If not, someone better call of Kurkistan, because I'm going to make the "If this isn't the case, I will go and buy a hat just so I can eat it" bet. :P

Edited by Gamma Fiend

Can I revive my "Sometimes silver isn't silver" theory?

-

So we know via WoB that Aluminum has weird effects on most (if not all, I can't recall the WoB exactly) of the magic systems throughout the Cosmere. On Scadrial it's resistant to Allomancy, for example.

-

We also know that sometimes Sanderson calls things by names that don't actually correlate to what they would be called in real life. (See WoB about wine on Roshar. It isn't actually wine.)

-

Aluminum is silver-ish in colour.

-

This silver metal has a strange effect on Threnody's magic system.

-

Coincidence? I THINK NOT!

-

This is mostly just a crack-theory with a little bit of merit behind it. I like it, though.

Now, I think we may have actually, briefly, barely seen him in Shadows for Silence. Whenever I read that story, something always sticks out at me.

This is at the end of the short story, after the whole resolution of everything. Like I said, this just kind of sticks out to me. Now, we know Brandon picks his words rather carefully in his stories, especially, I wonder, why would he particularly mention this offhandedly?

If this isn't Nazh, then I'm fairly certain it has to be some sort of Worldhopper. If not, someone better call of Kurkistan, because I'm going to make the "If this isn't the case, I will go and buy a hat just so I can eat it" bet. :P

I always just assumed that this was another wanted criminal that Silence poisoned. His "drunk" demeanor was actually what she'd slipped into his drink, so she could find him later and kill him for his bounty.

It's mid-cosmere:

[41:25]

Q: Shadows for Silence, cosmere-wise timeline where does that fall with the rest of the books.

B: Shadows for Silence, cosmere timeline, where does it fall with the rest of the books.  It is middle cosmere, a little on the late side but not-- It is pre-Stormlight Archive, so yeah.

(source)

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't remember why or what I read that gave me this impression, but I thought that SSFH was set on a large moon, not a planet - which would mean that Threnody would be a moon. Something about the planet it orbits being destroyed (Braize?), and survivors holing up on a moon. So that when Silence's grandmother told her about re-taking "homeland," she was actually talking about the planet, But maybe I am way off base and confusing this with one of the (too many!) other fantasy/sci-fi series I read. Sure is an interesting idea, though...

• 4 weeks later...

So, this might be a bit random. But I think I've seen mention of a WoB about Nazh being from Threnody, and even if it isn't a WoB, we can safely assume he's at least spent a great deal of time there to pick up the language from that world. (Referring to his use of "Shadows" as a curse in one of the pictures in Words of Radiance).

The guy does have a silver knife in his trophy case...although...I guess he's from that planet isn't he? Here's a question...how would someone from from a barley invested world end up as a world hopper? Maybe there is some truth in the post about shades being the result of the cog realm bleeding over into the physical on threnody.

• Chaos locked this topic