Shadows For Silence - Reactions

Windrunner

In other stories, Hoid is a catalyst. He gently shoves the story along. In SSFH,I can only think of one action that could fit the bill, and it's decidedly un-Hoidly

the crossbow bolt, which is more obviously Theopolis

This leads to a pretty basic conclusion: this planet is so unimportant, so forgotten, it provides nothing for Hoid to further his own goals. Or perhaps, with nothing left of deific power, there's simply nothing for him to push on to save them. But who knows? Maybe all the evil in the world is thwarted of screen

I'd personally love to confirm whether or not Hoid is there, as I wish to know if Shadesmar even connects to "unimportant" shardworlds.

Hoid isn't there, according to Brandon, but I'm with bart in saying that I think Shadesmar still connects just about everywhere with enough life to have people.

I've seen a few things from Mr. Ahlstrom that made it look like Mr. Sanderson may or may not have changed his mind on that.

For all we know, without the power of a Shard, the Cognitive Realm isn't safe to travel, or doesn't even extend there. We know "cognition" is one thing it requires; we don't know that this is ALL that it requires. That I know of, we have no textual support for either case. If Hoid did show up, that would be confirmation. Your speculation is valid, but doesn't actually help us.

Lol. I get to do this. I'm so excited. See here for why that may not be true.  Alternatively, scroll up (it's even a response to you!)

Yes, I noticed. Sorry for not responding to you directly, Peter, but I thought that was a rather clear statement that "well, if Brandon doesn't even remember it, it probably isn't him being all ninja-sneaky and sneaking Hoid in under my nose". So Peter's reply is further evidence of Hoid's absence.

Holy fast response time, Peter!

Here is my question: does Peter have some sort of alert (read: bat signal) that informs him when someone mentions him here, or does he spend as much time here as the rest of us? ;-)

My theory is that Peter has a implant in his brain that zaps him with electricity anytime someone writes about Hoid.

• 1 month later...

Just finished this story... I liked it, but man was it ever dark! I didn't mind the Shades/ghosts, I love that people have mostly learned to co-exist with them... it is such a spooky and weird thing that people do, adapt as best they can to the environment in which they live. 

@jasonpenguin ... that would be very harsh Justice indeed. 

i think it must be a dark Shard if the Shard is still present.