Shadows of Self Tour London Day 1 (17-Oct-15)

Havoc

I jumped in a few places in the audio, and it sounds like at least most of it is going to be transcribable. With some effort. 

But those questions. Man! It feels like we don't get as much juicy information in a 3 hour event as you did in those 3 questions!

Thanks guys. Unfortunately, I was nervous enough to forget half my questions, so I'll try to ask the rest Monday.

Miles talks about the impending arrival of men in 'Red and gold'. Is this connected to Lightsong's colours?

Why don't the Rithmatists just build an acid-filled moat around the tower in Nebrask?

Is what happened to Shallan's family connected to the Gavilar's black sphere that Szeth buried in Jah Keved.

In the broadsheet in 'Shadows of Self' we see a picture of a mysterious person. Are we looking at a face or a mark here?

Hey guys, I'm planning on going to the 7pm signing tonight in London (my first time!). A few questions:

1. Are signings always really busy, ie. Need to get there really early? I finish work around 6 :/

2. Were there copies of Elantris 10 anniversary Ed on sale on Saturday (or exclusively SoS)? If so it gives me hope for picking up a copy to be signed :)

Thanks! Can't wait!

Is Autonomy the Shard who just wants to survive?

No, Autonomy is Bavadin. Survival Shard, IIRC, isn't on a planet.

Ehh, you are correct that the "Survival" Shard is not Autonomy/Bavadin but it is also not the Shard that isn't on a planet.

We know of both of them by people asking about Shards we hadn't heard about before.  (Therefore the "Survival" Shard isn't Autonomy because we already knew about Bavadin holding a Shard, and then we already knew about the "Survival" Shard when he told us about the Shard that isn't on a planet).

Ehh, you are correct that the "Survival" Shard is not Autonomy/Bavadin but it is also not the Shard that isn't on a planet.

We know of both of them by people asking about Shards we hadn't heard about before.  (Therefore the "Survival" Shard isn't Autonomy because we already knew about Bavadin holding a Shard, and then we already knew about the "Survival" Shard when he told us about the Shard that isn't on a planet).

I believe that's what he meant. Bavadin is Autonomy, "Survival" is not Invested, Autonomy is Invested, therefore Autonomy is not "Survival." Only the middle steps are not written out.

I believe that's what he meant. Bavadin is Autonomy, "Survival" is not Invested, Autonomy is Invested, therefore Autonomy is not "Survival." Only the middle steps are not written out.

The way it reads to me makes it sound like he's saying the "Survival" Shard is the same as the Shard that isn't on a planet, which it isn't (as I explained in my post).

Wow, so did getting ready to summon Pattern in that scene draw him a little more into the Physical Realm? That's what my guess is.

I was thinking that it was more that Shallan intended (key word) to use the Shardblade, which in her case means calling upon the bond.  Because of that intention, and lack of general training, it brought the Soulcast along as a package deal as it were, or perhaps Pattern managed to assert himself in a way that caused Shallan to Soulcast, much like how Jasnah ended up in Shadesmar with Ivory, that first time in WoR's prologue, as if he had somehow managed to pull her into there despite Jasnah not knowing a thing about Elsecalling or Soulcasting.

Edited by dvoraen

Q: Something about whether Elantrians are immortal or long-lived (difficult to make out)

A: [verbatim] Elantrians have no physical limitations on their lifespan. The power will sustain them, but it's emotionally and mentally exhausting to be an elantrian, so as far as immortality goes it's actually harder to be an elantrian than other forms of immortality that exist in the cosmere"

This is a nice answer!