Dalinar's request from the Nightwatcher and the Kholin surgebinders

Solitary Recluse

Don't you say such things!!! :ph34r:

I don't want Szeth to redeem himself, nor do I want Amaram to do the same. I mean, we have to keep on some villains.

Though the new chapter had me wonder over the fact Dalinar did not seem to have paid any price for his crimes against humanity... He was an awful person and by all rights, he should have faced justice. How can he try to enforce it now on other people when he got a free-pass? My heart already hurts over the thought a nice person such as Adolin guilty who lost control over himself may end up paying the ultimate price when a monster such as Dalinar who was not even able to feel anything akin to sadness towards his victims get to be the world most acclaimed man. Just wow.

I mean, even Szeth felt bad for those he killed............. :ph34r: I can't believe I have just said that. :ph34r:

Szeth has been brainwashed by a mad isolationist cult since he was born, he does not deserve so much hate. Also, in my opinion redemption just means a change of heart towards good, not getting into the heroes good graces.

EDIT: plus, I didn't say they had to be redeemed, only that Mr.T and Amaram could become a little less obviously villanous. Moraly grey villains are a thing.

On Dalinar: the purpose of punishing criminals is to prevent further crimes, so I have no problem leaving Dalinar unpunished, considering we can be sure he will not become the Blackthorn again. Actualy, I am completely against older Dalinar not paying for the crimes he commited when he was praticaly a different person.

Edited by CognitivePulsePattern

Since the war in the flashback takes place while Gavilar and Dalinar's father is still alive, that not only puts Dalinars arrogance in further perspective (the second son of a major princedom, not the brother of anybody important yet), but also makes the comment 'Gavilar chooses, I just go where he points me' even worse, since we don't know what Gavilar's ambition was in waging this war (for a legitimate reason, shouldn't it be the Kholin highprince who declares war and points Dalinar in any direction?).

In that regard, it's quite strange that Dalinar doesn't really think about whether he is justified in passing judgement on the other highprinces, whose behaviour pales in comparison to what Dalinar used to do. The Alethi highprinces in WoR are engaged in war against the Parshendi, declared by the king, and show coordination in fighting the Parshendi. The Parshendi know why they're being attacked and the only vaguely questionable war conduct shown by the Alethi would be Sadeas' refusal to let anybody who surrendered alive.

Since the war in the flashback takes place while Gavilar and Dalinar's father is still alive, that not only puts Dalinars arrogance in further perspective (the second son of a major princedom, not the brother of anybody important yet), but also makes the comment 'Gavilar chooses, I just go where he points me' even worse, since we don't know what Gavilar's ambition was in waging this war (for a legitimate reason, shouldn't it be the Kholin highprince who declares war and points Dalinar in any direction?).

In that regard, it's quite strange that Dalinar doesn't really think about whether he is justified in passing judgement on the other highprinces, whose behaviour pales in comparison to what Dalinar used to do. The Alethi highprinces in WoR are engaged in war against the Parshendi, declared by the king, and show coordination in fighting the Parshendi. The Parshendi know why they're being attacked and the only vaguely questionable war conduct shown by the Alethi would be Sadeas' refusal to let anybody who surrendered alive.

We don't know much about the Kholin patriarch... only that he suffered from delusions at the end of his life, thinking himself back in the war. Since Adolin was old enough to recall as much, we can safely say he lived for quite a few more years. We also gather he was a soldier as well and was likely alive at the time of the war of unification. 

We don't know what kind of war they were conducting, but the simple fact their opponents did not even know why they were attacked tells me it was not a very good reason... I suspect Galivar, being the oldest, was put in charge of this particular war effort and he deployed his brother to attack this village. In his arrogance and petulance, Dalinar did not even bother to figure out what was the purpose. 

I have also to wonder about the age difference between Dalinar and Galivar. Considering their love/hate relationship and they competitiveness, I have always assumed they were very close siblings. However, having Galivar in charge of a war effort and directing his brother indicate he may have been a bit more older than I assumed. The reading took place 30 years ago (this is the information I got, so correct me someone if I am wrong), which means Jasnah was born, Galivar was married to Navani and Dalinar was in his early twenties.

I agree the war with the Parshendis does not even compare. They killed their king, a riposte was warranted. The Alethi are mildly justified to conduct this war, though they have pushed it too far in trying to annihilate the Parshendis. I don't know why Dalinar is so harsh with behaviors he is guilty of having had, not so long ago, but again he is not the most understandable person. He speaks and he expects to be obeyed without questions.

My thoughts are he is going to miss Adolin once he throws him out... He was the only one standing up to him, the only one daring speak his mind... Dalinar will severely miss his older son at some point. And how about him laughing at dying men calling for their mothers? You know what I thought about when I read it? Oh Dalinar, what are you going to say if one day, it is your wounded son who calls out for his mother? Are you going to soften then? Is this what it is going to take before you see your own hardness?

• Chaos locked this topic