Earring Origins (slight spoilers)

jacksoncoco

I keep imagining that the spike is the one that grants him the ability to store fortune. Miles mentions somewhere that Wax makes shots with a pistol that nobody should physically be able to make, so that's either Harmony helping out, some other supernatural aid, or just lots of dumb luck. The tarson-killing, bounce a bullet off another bullet shot to the head is just way too extraordinary for a marksman to make, particularly considering the accuracy of that type of pistol.

I keep imagining that the spike is the one that grants him the ability to store fortune. Miles mentions somewhere that Wax makes shots with a pistol that nobody should physically be able to make, so that's either Harmony helping out, some other supernatural aid, or just lots of dumb luck. The tarson-killing, bounce a bullet off another bullet shot to the head is just way too extraordinary for a marksman to make, particularly considering the accuracy of that type of pistol.

I've always thought that most Iron/Steel mistings should be pretty amazing shots, they have little blue guidelines pointing out most targets after all.

I've always thought that most Iron/Steel mistings should be pretty amazing shots, they have little blue guidelines pointing out most targets after all.

Though in his early Lawkeeper career, Wax was a pretty terrible shot.  I think it's a case of having to translate skills over; you can be an awesome shot as a Coinshot, but it takes practice to get good with a gun.

In Wax's case, I think he's probably using Steelpushes on his bullets as he fires them, possibly without realizing what he's doing.

I might not understand the physics here, but I'm pretty sure using steel to adjust a bullet's path is impossible.

It's not like a car, where you just point it in a new direction and it keeps going that way. A bullet has momentum all going in one direction, and a LOT of effort is put into making sure the pointy end keeps facing the way it's supposed to go. Pushing on the "left" half of a bullet will not make it "steer" to the right, it'll make it keep going forward but now it'll be tumbling, which will give it variable air resistance and a more random flight path.

A car can "Steer" because the wheels are constantly making it travel forward, whichever direction "forward" happens to be. A bullet gets all of its motive force at once and from that point on forces only act to slow it. Think of it like a car on ice. You're going super fast, but once you hit that ice, (doing the whole "a place where there is no air" assumptions as they apply to friction) it can't push itself forward anymore. If something nudges the car so that now it's facing to the right, that's not going to make it travel to the right, as anyone who has ever drifted over ice/snow in a car can tell you; once, on a very snowy road with a slight decline, I gently spun at very slow speeds for a good hundred yards until a snowbank stopped my momentum. I had traveled the length of a football field in a more-or-less straight line, and ended up facing back the way I came.

But, I could be mistaken. If someone wants to provide the physics to explain why a bullet will behave different than a car, I am all ears.

No, I'm pretty certain you've got it right. Within the limits of our understanding of Steelpushes and Ironpulls, someone firing a gun shouldn't be capable of using Allomancy to significantly alter the trajectory of their bullets after they've been fired. Pushes and pulls are directed at the center of mass so while Wax could make a bullet go faster (or slower if you imagine he can use Iron for purposes of argument) he couldn't alter its path in any other direction. Okay, we know you can push/pull 'off-center' because Kelsier does it but IIRC you have to be a Savant to manage that and even if you were able to, trying it with a bullet you fired wouldn't do much more than make the thing wobble.

In order to use Allomancy to actually adjust a bullet mid-flight you'd need someone else standing in another location who could apply a force at an angle. That could nudge a bullet sideways but it would probably do some funny things if it hit owing to the lateral motion. Problem is, that requires the pusher/puller to be standing in just the right place. You could probably do some interesting tricks with snipers if you had a well-trained team and a Slider to help the Coinshot/Lurcher with the timing (one of the members being a Spinner would help too) but that sounds like the kind of thing for the third era, maybe.

• 3 years later...
  • Chaos locked this topic