Shadows of Shipping

Kobold King

This is kind of a useless topic, but since we've had epic shipping discussions about Stormlight and others of Brandon's series, I found it odd that nobody's hopped onto the most applicable ship from Shadows of Self:

Wayne / MeLaan.

The kandra and the one mortal who might rival her in imitation prowess. Not to mention their personalities compliment each other perfectly. And of course, as we learn from the end of the book, 

Kandra/human relationships are by no means out of the question. They can be quite blissful, actually, unless a meddling Shard gets in the way.

Anyone else got a ship that they're proud to sail? :ph34r:

The nice thing about SoS is that I actually want Wax and Steris to end up together, now. Not exactly a ship, since they're betrothed in the books, but close enough.

I really thought that Wax / Marasi was still going to happen at some point, but after SoS I'm not so sure. Especially after that heartbreaking epilogue. :(

I too am hoping for a Melaan/Wayne combo. They were way too good together. Sorry Tensoon. 

Marasi was pretty annoying in this book IMHO with her constant self righteousness and "following every hunch and being right every time". I also don't like how she treats Wayne considering the guy is almost as BA as Wax himself.

This is saying a lot for me considering I had a huge crush on Marasi in the last book. 

I too am hoping for a Melaan/Wayne combo. They were way too good together. Sorry Tensoon. 

Marasi was pretty annoying in this book IMHO with her constant self righteousness and "following every hunch and being right every time". I also don't like how she treats Wayne considering the guy is almost as BA as Wax himself.

This is saying a lot for me considering I had a huge crush on Marasi in the last book. 

Yeah, I thought she idolized Wayne too, his legendary deputy. You'd think she'd give a bit more respect.

I'm really liking how the Wax / Steris relationship is moving, and really kinda hope that Marasi finds her own boyfriend. Maybe one of the other "dirty conners".

Wayne...He does have some chemistry with Melaan, but I think I'd prefer he became a worldhopper and met Shai.

I think in this book, Marasi lost a lot of her infatuation with Wax. Before, she saw him as this gallant figure who brought law to the lawless, but now she sees him as the sort of guy who doesn't have a real respect for institutions and lets other people clean up after his messes. Which is mostly true.

I don't actually know whether this makes the Wax/Marasi ship less likely though. There's something to be said for a romance that comes about when a person gets over the idealized version of their Chosen One. That would still leave the question of what to do about Wax/Steris, but that's nothing that Steris nobly stepping aside (or dying) couldn't solve.

The problem is that if Marasi doesn't ship with Wax, I can't fathom who she would ship with.

I like Steris/Wax. But I don't want it to be a romantic relationship. I really like the way they are right now. Partners with a healthy respect for each other.

I guess, I just got tired of the /oh-my-god-I'm-having-an-arranged-marriage-I-hate-my-life-and-my-wife/husband-and-will-act-like-a-brat-because-of-it/ trope. I really like this take on marriage of convenience.

As for the others. I get why people would ship Wayne/MeLaan, I just haven't jumped aboard yet.

Can we ship Aradel and Marasi? I've forgotten whether he has a wife or not. Or what his age is.

Marasi / Ranette this is just like the days of Kora.

Well, Ranette already has a girlfriend (Misra).

I really won't mind if Marasi doesn't end up with anyone. I think part of her "quest" is to become known as her own person, not just some nobleman's bastard, not just a convenient connection to a celebrity lawman, not just a prospective wife. Just Marasi Colms. I guess if she gets into a relationship with an unimportant side character, that would be okay, but it might be interesting to see her reject the need for a romantic relationship.

You know I see everyone pairing Wayne with MeLaan and I loved how they interacted, but for some reason I was thinking of another person as Wayne's future romantic interest: Sophi Tarcsel.

Also I truly hope that Wax/Steris works out for the best as I really like the woman since I read Shadows of Self, in fact I think they might be good for each other and also because it would defy tropes on the arranged mariages which can grow tedious at time.

Claude Aradel, constable-general of the Fourth Octant, picked through the scene. In many ways, he didn’t look like a constable should. His rectangular face had a few days’ worth of red stubble on it; he shaved when the mood struck him. His leathery skin, furrowed with wrinkles, attested to days spent in the field, not behind a desk. He was probably pushing sixty at this point, though he wouldn’t divulge his true age, and even the octant records had a question mark next to his birth date.

Close enough. Maybe.