Wayne's Goldminds

Oudeis

I don't necessarily think it's an error, though since no one has offered a viable alternative, I'm starting to lean that way.

I don't buy someone picking them up. The viable spots it could be are just outside the Governor's window, or within his private study. Since martial law was just declared, and the study is probably due to be combed for evidence of the Governor's corruption and crimes, I have difficulty believing Aradel assigned as guards the kind of constable likely to pick up anything he finds especially shiny to sell later... Also, the constables have access to coinshots, probably Lurchers, too, and Wayne really wants these found, and within hours there's nothing else pressing going on. If absolutely nothing else, surely Ranette, who is right in the house with them, would be willing to find them if only to shut him up.

There's no reason they'd be especially far away. Not only was this a fly in the ointment of Bleeder's plans, meaning she can't just leave the office empty for a while so no running to the canal to throw them in, but as we see she's nearly at the end of her stored speed, so it seems counter-productive that she'd decide to run super-far away to hide goldminds when putting them... more-or-less anywhere in a house will make them at least as hard to find as Wayne himself.

It just rings false to me. Wayne speaks about getting his metalminds back so he can use them, and practically the next scene they're simply gone forever, without any explanation as to why we went from assuming they'd return to accepting their loss. What happened? What changed?

Still not getting where you're coming from I'm afraid. Why couldn't Paalm have simply stashed them in her body and dropped them somewhere during the chase? MeLaan keeps a gun in her chest cavity easily enough. And I do think you overestimate the constables' desire to help Wax and Wayne. If I were your average constable and I came across some gold in the bushes belonging to a pair of men who make a fool of the police force on a regular basis, I'd keep a hold of them and think it served them right too. Those are worth enough money to change an average man's life. I think any of these are "reasonable alternatives".

But even a semi-decent throw could put them pretty far away, or for that matter she could have pushed them far enough that they'd be incredibly far away.
I just really don't see it as any kind of an issue.

Yeah I don't see this as an error at all. Paalm took his metalminds, he mentions that he hasn't been able to find out what she did with them, and later we see him very un-healed. She could have gotten rid of them in a hundred different ways and we don't have the information to speculate on which of those ways are feasible and which aren't.

• Chaos locked this topic