Wayne's Goldminds

Oudeis

So, Wayne doesn't heal when Bleeder grabs him because she pulls off his goldminds. Then later he's hobbling around on crutches because there's no point in storing up health just to use it to heal his leg.

... Where did his goldminds go? Did Bleeder actually destroy them? Were they hidden somewhere so far away, and so well, that even Wax (or Ranette, or one of the conner Coinshots) couldn't find it?

I really feel like the fact that he never gets his goldminds back is odd. Obviously not pivotal to the plot anymore at that point, but still really weird.

I just kind of assume he's going to have to get new ones if he hasn't. I think it says that he can't use them yet because it's not good to be sick while still healing from his leg wound, so either he has new one's or has yet to get them and is just waiting.

Looked at it and it says on page 368,

"Wayne sauntered over on crutches. He couldn't heal without storing more health - and he couldn't do that while healing from his wound, or it would defeat the purpose. For now, he had to deal with the fragility of the body, just like a normal person."

Edited by Platysaur

That... does not address my question. What happened to the old ones? Why can't he just use all the health he's been storing all book long? Or the reserves he had before the book started?

I don't see why it wouldn't answer it. Either they were recovered but he can't use them(I'm pretty sure you have to fix the wound immediately or very soon after it happens), or he got new one's and he can't use them regardless. Probably the later, because he'd need to store up health to heal it, and if they are new metalminds he'd need to take time to be sick.

I'm almost sure he had no health stored at this point—I remember it was foreshadowed a couple of times. Bleeder might have not known he exhausted his reserves. She was careful, but not omniscient.

Edited by Sera

Yeah, he was out of bendalloy. A quick search, though, suggests he wasn't out of health yet. Not sure if it's the last we read about his metalminds, but he said to MeLaan in the shack scene (where she talks about human flesh taste, and they're accompanied by Marasi):

"Maybe I'm different. Wanna gnaw on my arm a bit? It'll grow right back, least once we find out what that monster did with my metalminds..."

It's implied he had health. So, now I'm curious too. I can't see feruchemical gold being terribly useful for a kandra. I wonder if she simply discarded it when fleeing, if she gave it to someone, or if she burned it at some moment (though it's a very narrow window of time there).

He went out of his way to establish that Wayne ended the book unable to heal himself. It's a mystery whether it's a continuity error—Sanderson forgot to establish Wayne hadn't enough health stored to fully heal such injury—or despite wanting to end the book with Wayne wounded he thought it wasn't necessary to wrap up the metalminds' fate in the epilogue.

The third alternative is that the missing metalminds are actually a tiny hook for the next book. Either something mildly relevant for some plot point, or a red herring.

In that case, I just assume they never found them. 

But why not? They're super valuable; not only are they large amounts of gold, they're the store of weeks and weeks of health, which he clearly needs right now for his leg. Any Lurcher or Coinshot should be able to find them pretty quickly.

It's pretty minor and I figure it was simply a small continuity error. It just bugs me.

I believe that the metalminds are lost, however I doubt that Sanderson is just going to leave it at that.  We've seen Harmony take steps to get items/people into places where they can cause the most good.  For example getting Wax to move back to Elendel, or getting Wax's chest with all his weapons to the final fight with Miles.  I don't put it pass Harmony to of taken Wayne's metalminds and to have them at the ready for when Wayne will really need them.  That and having Wax and Wayne both needing to recover after the story allows for a nice break before their next adventure.

Someone just randomly came upon the window outside of the Governor's private study while it was surrounded by constables...

Or a constable did, but yeah there would have still been some people who could, basically any of whom would have taken it.

Oh, Sanderson doesn't do that. It's part of the plan. Promise. 

Except for minor issues where the sun rises in the wrong place, or when a character runs from a point A to a point B that don't match with the given evidence, or a character dies by perforation when he should have died in the grand tradition of most Disney villains.   :P

Except for minor issues where the sun rises in the wrong place, or when a character runs from a point A to a point B that don't match with the given evidence, or a character dies by perforation when he should have died in the grand tradition of most Disney villains. :P

But even then, he'll fix it ten years later!

Wayne spends the first half of the book storing health while out and about, which he said in the previous book he HATES doing, but we never see him recover from a major injury. I too got the impression that he never recovered his metalminds after Bleeder tied him up.

Edited by Tellingdwar

Wayne also Brawls with something like 12 of the Governors guards, and escapes a mob rioted by Bleeder and Allomancers... I'm thinking he lost some health through all of that. He's an excellent brawlers, sure, but he's also just a man with a lot of hit points. Bendalloy seems to work best when he can isolate people, and both circumstances here were crowded. Although knocking people out of the speed bubble could induce nausea, working to Wayne's advantage.

Except that while they're searching for the goldminds he expressly mentions, twice, that if he had them he could heal. Once talking about the injury Bleeder gave him when she took the goldminds, and once talking about how MeLaan should eat him.

I'm not following your problem with them being lost. Even if Bleeder didn't carry them far, you'd be hard pressed to find a common man or woman who'd leave solid gold jewelry laying in a street. Even amongst the constables, if one found them, Wax and Wayne aren't exactly popular, so I wouldn't be surprised if an individual quietly kept them for resale later. If you really think it's an error, you should probably mention it in the errors thread, if you haven't already.