Tia knows Profs weakness

Voidus

Revealed in a recent SoS signing, Tia does know what Profs weakness is, which has plenty of potential for the events of Calamity and begs the question why he didn't immediately go after Tia when he became corrupted again.

Can Prof not know if Tia does?

Well Nightwielder didn't know for sure when David found out his weakness. So depending on the circumstances where Tia found out and how Batman she was about not letting Prof knew she knew, Prof could be unaware.

EDIT: Ah, you may be referring to Prof knowing his own weakness, rather than just if he knows she knows.

I'd still say it's possible that Tia could know Prof's weakness without Prof himself even knowing what it is.

Theoretically she could deduce it from observation about his past/character like David's been figuring out—highly unlikely, given that this seems to be a new approach.

More realistically, it depends to an extent of how aware Epics are of their powers failing. So if Prof wasn't actively using anything and lost his powers for a second, would he notice?

Assuming he'd notice, it's still possible that Tia could have observed some power-failure while Prof was distracted and/or insensate. So if Prof's weakness is melted marshmallows, then she could have noticed a marshmallow-induced burn not healing if Prof dozed off while making s'mores.

Another scenario is if Prof's powers fail and he notices it, but he's unable to figure out exactly what triggered it; meanwhile Tia does.

Edited by Kurkistan

I find it more likely Prof didn't go after Tia for love. I think as long as Tia doesn't actively try to kill Prof, he won't come after her. There still has to be some of Prof inside the high epic.

Incidently, where are the spoiler tags, I can't find them

I think that Prof's decision to go after David first was probably because he was potentially the bigger threat. If Prof knows his weakness and knows that Tia knows, there's a chance that whatever it is it's something David could figure out on his own. In that case, David is a bigger long-term risk because he's pretty good at figuring out Epic weaknesses, he's more dangerous in a fight and he's likely to have fewer hesitations about putting a bullet through Prof's head. If Prof doesn't know his weakness but knows that Tia knows it, he might still have seen David as more dangerous depending on when he realized that Tia knows what it is (ie, if it's something he thinks David could also have observed), for a similar reason. And if he has no idea that Tia knows his weakness then going after David first just makes sense from a 'who's potentially more dangerous to me?' perspective.

So I don't have too much trouble with Prof not going after Tia first regardless of what he knew or didn't know. Though I am surprised that David doesn't spare much time in the epilogue worrying about Tia's safety since she's got to be next on the list. Though with Tia monitoring events, she would have had some advance warning and I'm sure she had a few 'get the hell out of here' contingency plans.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Regarding Prof's weakness I have recently been re-reading Firefight and I think we may have a real clue as to what his weakness is:

In the scene where David is bringing boxes in after Prof saves the people from the burning building David goes to check on Prof and prof tells him about his trip to NASA after David inquires about the photo. A little later David mentions the conversation to Tia and she remarks that she had to bring Prof because he was jealous his coworker had won a contest to go train with NASA. She then says that Prof didn't even enter the competition and that he never participates in competition. I suspect that competition is Prof's weakness or maybe something more like the fear of losing.

Edited by Iron Eyes

The competition thing seems very likely, but it must be specific in some way. He got spooked and ran away when Firefight challenged him, which seems to point to his weakness. However, he fought Steelheart for a long time in the first book and never ran or fell victim to his weakness. 

I do have an idea. So, Prof should have been able to beat Firefight eventually, even if she was really powerful right after her resurrection. I'm not 100% certain, but I think that he was aware that he was more powerful than her. I also think that he was probably better qualified than his colleagues (at least in his mind) to win that NASA trip. He has an aversion to contests in which his opponent has a chance to beat him, even though he outclasses them. His weakness is based on his fear of being humiliated by losing to someone he should be able to beat.

Maybe.

The competition thing seems very likely, but it must be specific in some way. He got spooked and ran away when Firefight challenged him, which seems to point to his weakness. However, he fought Steelheart for a long time in the first book and never ran or fell victim to his weakness. 

I do have an idea. So, Prof should have been able to beat Firefight eventually, even if she was really powerful right after her resurrection. I'm not 100% certain, but I think that he was aware that he was more powerful than her. I also think that he was probably better qualified than his colleagues (at least in his mind) to win that NASA trip. He has an aversion to contests in which his opponent has a chance to beat him, even though he outclasses them. His weakness is based on his fear of being humiliated by losing to someone he should be able to beat.

Maybe.

I love the idea of abstract kryptonite-factors like this that can push Epics to making seemingly bizarre decisions.

Maybe.

Firefight is a full fledged reality-warper at resurrection, Prof is one of the strongest Epics but even he couldn't compete with that.

• 1 month later...

Prof mentioned the entire 5th grade classroom he taught was murdered by epics, and we see that it's easier to deal with his personality changes when he does science experiments that reminds him of them.

This is much like how Megan is less afraid when she is with David, hence being able to deal with the personality changes more easily.

I think that watching the people he deeply cares about dying is his weakness, which means that instead of killing Tia (which he can't due to his powers weakening when attempting to harm someone he cares about), it would be best to kidnap her so that nobody may harm her to use his weakness.

This would explain Tia's disappearance - He can't kill her, so he hides her instead.

Though it would be pretty funny if it was, and that was why Tia always kept so much of it around.

There's already Sourcefield who had a weakness to a drink so that would be doubling up on more or less the same schtick. Still, the idea of cola as Epic repellant is inherently amusing.

• 2 weeks later...

In one episode of Darkwing Duck, a superhero - who bore a suspicious resemblance to Darkwing's adopted daughter Gosalyn - died after falling into a vat of her weakness - Kookie Kola.

:P

On a slightly more serious note, I suspect that Tia's had plans for quite a while about what to do if Prof turned. Prof might have even forced her to make those plans without telling him the details. And since Tia tends to monitor Prof when he's in the field, she probably knew the instant he turned, and immediately went to ground.

Actually I think someone did nail it. I recall someone specifically saying

a fear of failure.

But I can't recall who.

I got pretty close:

Regarding Prof's weakness I have recently been re-reading Firefight and I think we may have a real clue as to what his weakness is:

In the scene where David is bringing boxes in after Prof saves the people from the burning building David goes to check on Prof and prof tells him about his trip to NASA after David inquires about the photo. A little later David mentions the conversation to Tia and she remarks that she had to bring Prof because he was jealous his coworker had won a contest to go train with NASA. She then says that Prof didn't even enter the competition and that he never participates in competition. I suspect that competition is Prof's weakness or maybe something more like the fear of losing.