Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JustSarah

Mapping Mountains

2 posts in this topic

When one is going for a more realistic effect when drawing mountains, is it considered more effective to use a gradient feature? In my original map, I actually draw mountains like points, that taper off semi-circularly. But when I did my elevator map (ground elevation other than mountains) I ended up creating a sort of gradient feature that a separate between low altitude to highest altitude with a color scale. (So darker shades would be the highest mountains, while lighter shades would be lower elevations.

It wasn't really intentional, but I ended up drawing a large mountain partially blocking access to the castle on the map. (In the original, elevation didn't really come into the picture. It was flat.)

I'm not artistically inclined at all, I can't draw worth crap. So for my map making Ive been using Campaign Cartographers 3. im still pretty new to it, and it seems pretty basic overall. I dont even think it has technical elevation mapping.

But mapping mountains always is hard for me. Trying to make a 'natural' looking mountain chain, trying to take actual geographical facts into account and whatnot (plate tectonics, etc.). And then mapping rivers that flow from mountains and lakes and stuff. I always take too much time trying to create that 'perfect' detail. Doesnt usually work.