How may skaa are there?  I asked it last time, but I don't think I got an answer.  I don't know about the coordinated lynching being done by Phattmer and Creccio.  They got Ripple lunched, which was good, but then vote for the same person together again.  I will vote for Honey as well, though.  If honey isn't skaa, I will be suspicious of you, but at this time:  Good job!

How may skaa are there?  I asked it last time, but I don't think I got an answer.  I don't know about the coordinated lynching being done by Phattmer and Creccio.  They got Ripple lunched, which was good, but then vote for the same person together again.  I will vote for Honey as well, though.  If honey isn't skaa, I will be suspicious of you, but at this time:  Good job!

Apparently. 6 Skaa

Yeah, let's just go with Badger.

After this, (though hopefully there won't be an after this) I think we should go after Venture Mistborn, because he promised a list of suspicions that never appeared, and we were all suspicious of him for a while. Plus, he's the only other inactive besides Badger who's still alive, and I think we're fairly certain that Ripple was the last active skaa.

Though I'd love to figure out who Ripple was targeting. It wasn't me, since I didn't burn anything last night and I'm a Coppercloud anyway...anyone feel like speaking up? Anyone burning pewter/atium?

Conclusion: Grimms' (Scary) Tales

Grimm walked. Alone. Strung over his back, the pack jangled with each step. So many spikes to have fun with. Fools. Every single one of them. Did they really expect that the Inquisition would send out pretty little invitations when they wanted to swell their number? Well, obviously they did, because many had turned up at his doorstep. No, the Inquistion always turned up unexpected, and created full Inquisitors from their loyal servants among the Ministry itself. Usually, that was. 

He'd given himself new spikes, created from the stronger of his 'students'. As he burnt various metals, he could feel the additional strength now afforded him. He knew that he'd be more than equipped to take on any of his 'brothers', if it came to that, as he was sure he had more than any other living Inquisitor. With more spikes left over.

The blue lines pointing to the metal sconces embended in the wall of this part of the cave were getting more spaced out, telling him he was getting closer to the entrance of the cave system. A few minutes later, and he'd reached the exit. It was stilll blocked by the the stones that had fallen. Pulling a large metal plate out of his pack, he placed it against the large rock, before moving back and bracing himself against the wall. He flared pewter and steel, and Pushed against the plate. At first, nothing happened, the force just pushing him hard against the wall, the pewter stopping his bones from breaking. But as he continued to flare Steel, pushing harder and harder, the boulder started to shake, before suddenly giving way, the metal plate flying off over the top. Grimm strode out into the fresh air, not looking back. It was a job well done. No one had suspected that he'd been the one to set up the large rock, conveniently placed near the cave's one entrance for the skaa Mistings (that he had invited) to shut them in. The skaa hadn't know he had invited them for that reason either. No one had even once suspected that the whole situation had been just a fun way for him to produce some new spikes. He smiled. He was going to have to do this again some time.

"An admiral show, Grimm...." He stopped, looking around. He couldn't see anyone. "There's nothing to see, Grimm. But there are things I can show you. Things that Hemalurgy can do that have never even imagined possible." The voice cackled. "I'll be in touch..."

Honey Badger was lynched. They were a Skaa Tineye.

Vote Tally:
Honey Badger(4): Creccio, Phattemer, Polking, Meandbooks

Player List:

1. Venture Mistborn (Maxisum) - Inquisitor Tineye
2. Creccio (Inor Haze) - Inquisitor Rioter
3. polkinghornbd (Elijah) - Inquisitor Coppercloud
4. Phattemer (Axies) - Inquisitor Augur
5. Meandbooks (Ailyth) - Inquisitor Coppercloud

RippleGylf (Marie Lepinceau) - Inquisitor Soother
Mailliw73 (Milon Bulvier) - Inquisitor Rioter
Alvom Halbin (Andierre Reynaud) - Inquisitor Pewterarm
Araris Valerian (Arad Penrod) - Inquisitor Seeker
Sart (Mar) - Inquisitor Lurcher
Shallan (Citona Vinid) - Skaa Coppercloud
The Only Joe (Joel Tormander) - Inquisitor Tineye
Orlok (Locke Tekiel) - Inquisitor Pewterarm
Alvron (Jak) - Inquisitor Lurcher
TheMightyLopen (Kellam Lyre) - Skaa Seeker
Wyrmhero (Wyrm Heron) - Inquisitor Seeker
Kipper (Kipper) - Inquisitor Lurcher
Alfa (Ashbringer Fadraux) - Skaa Pewterarm
Deathclutch10 (Shi Kuratchi) - Inquisitor Coinshot
Zephrer (Serech of House Huxer) - Inquisitor Augur
Clanky (Lan) - Inquisitor Coppercloud
Winter Cloud (Sophia Erikell) - Skaa Soother
IrulelikeSTINK (No Name) - Inquisitor Soother
Nicocoberru (Coco) - Inquisitor Coinshot
Kasimir (Koschei Jerzy) / RippleGylf (Marie Lepinceau) - Skaa Rioter
The Honey Badger (Dagbert Honerion) - Skaa Tineye

Quick Links:

Well, that's it, folks! The Inquisitors won! (Mostly)

Congratulations to those who technically survived. Hopefully a good time was had by all. 

Dead/Spectator Doc
Skaa Doc
Spreadsheet

Edited by Alvron

What did it mean to receive your spikes?

It meant dying; it meant lying spread-eagled on the obsidian platform, perfectly still, a martyr, as the spikes were pounded through you, as the Inquisitors watched serenely if you twitched and cried.

Everyone did, they said, eventually. The first spike was the most painful of all: it was meant to prepare you for the true initiation. That would come later.

It was like dying, a little, Koschei thought. The pain…the way the world receded and turned black and stars danced behind your eyes…

He forced himself to meet the spike-heads protruding from Grim’s eyes with a disinterested attentiveness. Every fibre of his being screamed that he was dealing with a dangerous man; one, if he knew what Koschei was, would utterly obliterate him with about the thought one gave to swatting a fly.

There was no sign Grim knew, he told himself. The man was an Inquisitor, but he was not a god. He could not read minds: if he’d survived as a bastard son of Zadeth Jerzy for years in the Steel Ministry, there was no reason Grim could tell.

Still, he felt the nervousness; the tingling down his spine.

Finally, Grim spoke; his voice rough and raspy, as if calculated to induce more fear. “You have been found wanting.”

“Oh?”

Abruptly, he found himself kneeling, flattened against the cavern floor by the raw, primal force of Grim’s Soothing. Grim moved, slowly. Koschei struggled to breathe, to flare copper, to counter the Soothe. Gravel pressed into his palms. He could not so much as twitch.

Grim paced, languidly, around him; perfectly in control. “You see?” the Inquisitor whispered, in the cavernous darkness, his breath tickling Koschei’s ear. “Weak.”

“If I am weak, then what am I doing here?” Koschei forced himself to demand. “Why did your Canton send me an invitation?”

Grim did not blink. He could not, Koschei thought. Not with the spikes driven through his eyes. He felt the pain, once again, of the hemalurgic bronze spike pounded through his ribs.

Finally, the Soothing let up. Koschei crawled, painfully, to his feet. He did not ask for help. He locked his trembling legs and ground his teeth together. Grim, he sensed, was the sort of creature to which showing any trace of weakness would be fatal.

He shut off his copper and met Grim’s gaze again. “I’m still waiting,” he said. Almost laughed at his own boldness: was he tired of life? Perhaps. Perhaps he was tired of dying a little, each time they pounded a new spike through him. And perhaps he saw nothing to live for; not after he’d been torn away from the Canton of Finance, and with it, any hopes of alleviating the woes of House Jerzy.

No. He didn’t believe that last part. As long as he lived and breathed, there was hope. The pain from the spike was a reminder of that. He clung on to it and fought, determined to find a way. Determined to survive.

Eventually, Grim stated, “Mistakes happen. An Inquisitor was punished.” He eyed Koschei, his disdain clear, even despite his lack of expression. “We do not like to punish our own.”

“You’re saying this was a mistake.”

Grim nodded. “An invitation was meant for a Kendrick Erikell.” His lip curled. “Who is now a High Prelan in the Steel Ministry. The Canton of Finance is…displeased.”

“And me?”

Grim closed in on him and yanked. The spike ground against his ribs, and Koschei could not help screaming in pain. Grim laughed and licked his lips. “Weak,” he said, again. Koschei could almost feel it: metal slipping against bone, blood welling at the insertion site, until the spike gave way before Grim’s preternatural strength and came free.

Grim licked a drop off blood off the slickened spike, casually.

Koschei found himself kneeling, despite his promise not to; each breath coming out in a heavy gasp.

“You?” Grim said. “You are an experiment.” His mouth twisted with distaste as he went on. “An experiment in inter-Canton cooperation. Why those pen-pushers felt you were so important, I’ll never know.”

“What happens, then?”

He was still bleeding; part of Koschei wondered if he shouldn’t staunch the wound. Sod it, he decided. He ripped off his shirt and started wadding it contain the bleeding.

In a lightning-fast motion, Grim grabbed him by the shoulders; the other hand whipped around; Koschei saw something glittering in it.

He barely had the time to scream as the spike slammed through his heart.

Just like dying, Koschei thought, dimly, as the world faded to a ragged scream at the edges of his senses. He realised he was the one screaming; he wondered what the others would think. The others: he thought of Wyrm Heron, of Ashbringer Fadraux, of Kellam Lyre. Willed himself to say nothing.

“You?” Grim said. “The Inquisition does not release its own. Not willingly.” He laughed, and licked the blood off his fingers, casually. “Like it or not, you’re ours now, and you’re going to do what we tell you.”

Abruptly, Koschei realised the pain was fading; he was still breathing, somehow, still living, despite a spike rammed straight through his heart. Each heartbeat came; strong, and steady. The pain from the wound his ripped-out spike had caused was gone; his probing fingers found sealing flesh, as if the wound was several days old rather than freshly-inflicted.

How? he wondered.

He did not ask.

Grim loomed over him. “Try not to die,” Grim said, dismissively. “Go back to the Ministry, tell them we didn’t want you. Eventually, we’ll speak again.”

“You want me to be your spy?”

Grim tapped the blunt head of the spike with a single finger. “This comes out, you die,” he said, bluntly. “I can kill you at any time I desire. Remember that. Go.”

Koschei went. There was nothing more to be said.

I wrote the above segment as a challenge to myself, and for when Gamma mentioned to me he'd let Koschei live in the write-up so I could recycle him in future, for which I thank him ;) Just thought I'd post it, at the end of the game. Anyway.

M'Hael, Great Lord, thank you for running this! Fellow Skaa, sorry for bailing :/ Exams went relatively okay; I acquitted myself later on, so that's fine. I def. had fun!

Edited by Kasimir

Can i have said doc to said actions?

Okay, I've edited a link into the OP.

Now that I'm not GM'ing this game any longer, I can comment about things!

Polking (with Stink and Meandbooks agreeing with his sentiment), said the following:

My problem with these games isn't that there are two going on, it is that everyone else seems to have vastly greater reasoning skills than I do, so I don't know who to agree with.  That has lead to most of my inactivity, just not knowing what to say

Just wanted to comment on that.

Even if you don't think you can reason stuff out to the same degree as other players (though I'm quite sure everyone is capable of sound reasoning), there's still things you can do.

Posting a bio on each of the players in the game, giving an idea of your views on that player (and links to stuff they've said, when possible), can be quite valuable. You might pick up on something that another player has missed, allowing them to make a connection they otherwise may have missed. Alternatively, your thoughts might highlight an unjustified assumption someone else has made.

Have a look back over the rules. In some games, things can get a bit complicated, and people forget stuff. For example, LG15a - the village forgot about the eliminators win condition of 'Lynch the GM'. Or in this game, a few of you were confused by the fact that Ripple thought there was meant to be a Skaa kill, while I hadn't put anything in. You had a few thoughts, but the reason for it was that in the first few sentences of the rules, it says that the Lynch comes first, and then actions and the skaa kill. Because Ripple had put in the skaa kill order, by being lynched, the skaa kill was blocked. The same thing happened this cycle. 

Another thing you can do is go through the player list and ask the question 'What if they were an eliminator', and consider their actions in that light. In my first game, I did that, and I came up with a compelling case for how The Only Joe had opportunity to be an eliminator. I had no evidence, and his actions seemed to help the village well enough, but they would also serve an eliminator just fine. And that's exactly what he was. Now, it doesn't always work (I tried it with Meta in LG12, and he was in fact the village scanner. That being said, he did like the theory I came up with, and said it was something he'd have tried if he had been an eliminator). 

I don't think any of those 3 things is necessarily that hard, and neither are they necessarily done too frequently either, but they each have the potential to be quite useful, and allow you to contribute to the game. 

Do any of you more experienced players have any suggestions?

Edited by Haelbarde

Yay, we won!

Thanks for the clarification on the lynch/kill thing - that makes a lot more sense. I didn't really think we had another pewterarm among us, so I was a bit surprised.

And yeah, about the analysis...a huge limiter really is time. It's hard to keep track of everything and not have to continually go back and read all the threads, which takes a while. Maybe next time I should take notes.

Time is a thing, yes... I guess if you have little time, just being present and sharing your reactions to what has been posted so far is worthwhile. If there's no posts, then spend a few minutes looking at something instead. Do that enough times, and maybe you'll be able to build something up. I dunno... :)

I find notes really hard to keep up with... This is why I like the quicklinks I post upon occassion. Because often I'll have a fair idea of where to find what I'm looking for, and being able to jump to cycle 3 to find something is useful.

The other thing to help with finding stuff is making use of the search bar to find all of the posts a player has made. To do this:

1) Press the gear to the right of the search bar. This takes you to the 'Advanced Search' screen.

2) Type/copy the name exactly into the 'Find Author' field

3) In the 'Find in Forum' box, scroll down and click on 'Sanderson Elimination'. This will restrict the search to just posts they've made in the SE forum. While if they're in multiple games, it'll display all of them, it at least cuts out any posts from elsewhere in the forum

4) Click the 'As posts' option next to 'Display results'.

5) Press 'Search Now'.

This will then list all the posts that the particular user has made in the Sanderson Elimination sub forum. It should work on mobile, though would have to check to be sure if you can do it the mobile mode.

Kae's Story (Part 1)

Kae was crying. 

Sophia Erikell was a skaa. 

And she was dead. 

The two words, dead skaa, surrounded him. They wrapped in a thick fog. He couldn't stay here. If he did, he might try to kill Grimm. And that probably would end up with him killed too. Killed like Sophia. Grimm had murdered her. She was the first important thing that had ever happened to him and he'd murdered her. 

Yes, she was skaa. 

He found himself not caring. He knew this wasn't good. He had to care about something and that something should be who was skaa or not. Being skaa was just wrong. 

But she was the most emotion that had ever come into his life. 

Can't think, won't think. Can't resist, won't resist. Skaa are wrong. Inquisitors are right. 

Kae didn't want to think about the emotionless time. He'd never felt this way about anyone, ever before. And Grimm had killed her, like she was just nothing. He wanted that something back. 

Sophia... 

Gone. 

Emotion...

Gone. 

Life...

Gone. 

Everything was just wrong. Words of fear and hate spilled around the room. Skaa lover. He shouldn't mourn her death. He shouldn't. It was wrong. But everything... it was just wrong. She was falling. She was falling forward. He reached for her, but she vanished. 

Hello, Kae. 

Words in his head. 

Had he finally cracked? Had the years of being an Inquisitor, in addition to Sophia's loss, finally driven him insane? If he was, then that was good. He deserved it. He was a monster.

She had been scared of him. 

She had been scared of Grimm. 

He'd promised to protect her. 

I'm Ruin. 

"Ruin?" Kae had heard of him. From the Lord Ruler himself. From Grimm. 

Yes. Now, I have a present for you. Some more spikes. 

"I don't want some more spikes. I want Sophia." 

I know, I know. Then should I just take you? Make you forget? 

"Forget?" 

That was too good for him. 

"No. I'll go with you." 

• 5 weeks later...

I really do love games where the good guys and the bad guys are flipped around like this. 

Congrats to the Inquisitors for pulling off the win! It was getting a little touchy there for a bit. 

But the real MVP for this game would be Hael, IMO. Everyone really owes him a big thank you for stepping up and taking over for Gamma when Gamma was pulled away for RL stuff. So thank you, Hael. It is truly appreciated. 

Now, as always, if anyone would like to try your hand at running a game, please get a hold of GammaWilson or myself. Not only will we get you added to the list, but I'm sure we'd be more than willing to help out in any way we can as well!

You can also ask questions and get some hints and feedback from everyone over here in our Art of Game Creation thread as well. With all the games that we've run so far, we have plenty of experienced GMs that can help you refine any game you're thinking about!

Thanks again to everyone that played and we look forward to seeing you in future games!