Shadows of Self signing report: San Jose/Menlo Park, CA

Cosmologist

Hi all, I'm a long-time lurker around here who just went to his first signing! Got Brandon some Magic cards (he pulled both a foil Island and a mythic rare planeswalker out of the same pack, he called it the coolest pack ever) and recorded everything from then until the end of the signing (I was the ~20th person in line out of 300 so got most of it). Didn't get to ask a question in line because of the cards and me going all giddy fanboy...

Before the signing there was one interesting question in the general Q&A: would Brandon finish Patrick Rothfuss' series if asked? He talked about how he would be a bad fit, he could do the viewpoints and narrative style but their prose is very different. The topic moved unto A Song of Ice and Fire, and Brandon remarked jokingly that while he could probably match George's writing style, their content was very different: he said that if he finished that series, everybody would be a lot nicer and they'd all settle down and get married.

Not as many Cosmere questions were asked as I expected, quite a few writing questions, but many people asked nothing at all (while I was standing there with a long mental list of them, frustrating!). The signing went until midnight and then he left almost immediately, but I did get one question in at the end which is not on the recording:

Me: Now that Ruin and Preservation are Harmony, are there still two Shardpools (on Scadrial)?

Brandon: Great question, here's your RAFO card!

Oh well.

My recording.

And my transcript (sorry forgot to note times in the beginning, also skipped some writing questions and such).

I only got got halfway with transcribing the audio, hoping to finish it this weekend, but if someone else wants to go right ahead. EDIT: Thanks Argent for doing the last bit! It's now complete.

One interesting tidbit that's not in the transcript: Brandon has not only sold movie rights to Mistborn, but now also to Way of Kings and even *the entire Cosmere* (as one). That shocked even Jason Denzel who was standing next to me... Well done, Brandon.

Edited by Cosmologist

Me: Now that Ruin and Preservation are Harmony, are there still two Shardpools (on Scadrial)?

Brandon: Great question, here's your RAFO card!

Oh well.

That...was actually something I was wondering too but I was thinking in terms of Devotion and Dominion in regards to the Dor.

Huh....I think we can definitely say for sure there's at least one, as the pool forms as a by-product of a Shard's Investment in a planet...IIRC

I wonder if he has the option of dividing the power into two or perhaps an image reminiscent of Yin-Yang

I like that Yin-Yang image. You've got a black and white pool, symbol of balance/harmony... Missed opportunity if that's not the route Brandon's going! :)

It'd have to fit in with how Shardpools work, but I think we know so little about them at this point that Brandon can still change his mind about that... For example, does every of the 16 original shards have a pool? What happens to the pool when the shard is shattered, or moves to a different planet? If they are a by-product of the Shard's investment then that would probably mean they're not created with intent, so can a Shard even intentionally influence their Shardpool?

I like that Yin-Yang image. You've got a black and white pool, symbol of balance/harmony... Missed opportunity if that's not the route Brandon's going! :)

It'd have to fit in with how Shardpools work, but I think we know so little about them at this point that Brandon can still change his mind about that... For example, does every of the 16 original shards have a pool? What happens to the pool when the shard is shattered, or moves to a different planet? If they are a by-product of the Shard's investment then that would probably mean they're not created with intent, so can a Shard even intentionally influence their Shardpool?

Moving to a different planet when you're heavily Invested is apparently very hard to do, and not without ramifications, but not impossible. My idea is if they fully detach themselves then they'd be able to reclaim the rest of their Investiture in the pool (via WoB, if Ruin did manage to win, then he'd have to physically manifest to reabsorb the Atium) or the pool is something of an inadvertant anchor, given it can be used to enter the Cognitive Realm physically and is quite potent. The fact that Preservation's refilled after 1000+ years means it doesn't go back to the Shard's active resource, or if it does, it drains again (albeit slowly)

It's hard to say what happens after a Shattering event as the only pool we've seen in that scenario on-screen is Elantris, but it seemed alright. We'll see.

That is a really good question and one i might consider asking at the SoS signing

Edited by ParadoxSpren

Oh, this is a really nice audio, very little background noise. Let me transcribe some of it...

EDIT: And as I say this, the 80s background audio spikes...

Alright, I transcribed the last 40 minutes or so. There were a couple of short bits I couldn't quite hear, if anyone would like to go over them. 

Edited by Argent

Thanks Argent!

Yeah they were playing an 80s soundtrack all night, it occasionally got pretty loud. Several people including Brandon remarked on that, but the bookstore people didn't take the hint.  :rolleyes: Anyway, the audio turned out better than I'd hoped. I'll try and see if I can decipher some of the unintelligible bits.

So I can't edit the transcript because of my stupid iPad, but there were two things that I particularly wanted to point out. (Though if anyone can't understand a particular bit, I feel reasonably certain I understood basically all of it).

First, the part that is marked as unintelligible sounds to me like Brandon or the signer deliberately paused it, possibly because it was a quiestion about Dragonsteel. But we already know whatever the thing is, so it shouldn't make much difference.

Second, one of the last questions spells "heritability" and "inheritable" wrong. So if someone could fix that before I degenerate to convulsing on the floor, that would be great.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all, I was the other person recording and completely forgot to post my audio and transcribe anything new. I caught a bit of the beginning of the signing line before Cosmologist reached the table. Awesome job Cosmologist on the recording and transcription! There wasn't really anything new in that extra bit, but I transcribed what was there and added it to the doc. 

Signing Line:

Q&A and reading: 

The reading is included in this audio, but since it is up on tor.com I think it's ok to post it:

[00:01:45] His experience signing in the UAE

[00:06:20] Korean language

[00:14:35] Geek shaming

[00:20:15] Q&A

[00:20:55] How did the idea to have a cross-dressing female character come about?

[00:23:15] Mistborn video game?

[00:24:05] Where did the name Bridge Four come from?

[00:25:45] Career a straight line?

[00:28:40] Favorite and best character?

[00:29:50] Is the blank page terrifying?

[00:31:40] What's Adonalsium and do you intend to use him in a later book?

[00:32:45] Do you feel like the book is spoiled when Tor puts so much of it up online beforehand?

[00:34:45] How to network as a new author?

[00:37:50] Would you finish Kingkiller Chronicles if Pat dropped dead tomorrow? (interesting discussion of writing style)

[00:40:00] "My prose is much closer to George Martin's but my thematic content is *way* different. They say "Let's just give it to Sanderson." I'm like, "Really? Do you want all of these Game of Thrones people to stop swearing and get married?""

[00:40:40] Designing magic systems?

[00:41:25] Background of the Rosharan magic system?

[00:43:00] Working on another project; what makes you excited?

[00:44:55] Announcements

[00:45:20] There's a new scene in the 10th anniversary edition of Elantris that will be of interest to sharders

[00:49:20] When's Stormlight 3 come out? (Nov) 

[00:49:47] What else do you have coming out?

[00:51:10] Will the Alcatraz cover be completely irrelevant to the content of the book?

[00:52:20] Reading