The only page I see with actual papers cited was http://www.ptsd.va.gov/professional/PTSD-overview/epidemiological-facts-ptsd.aspwhich was a link from the bottom of the second page. Got it bookmarked and will take a look at it when I have time. Thanks man. My career goals involve research into psychopathology so I become immediately interested whenever any form of mental disorder is brought up.

Also, re: women get less support from their community.

That is actually wholly incorrect and the reverse is the accurate observation. This has even came up as a discussion during several classes of mine in the past. Men are often conditioned (by women) and raised to bottle and repress their emotions, to essentionally become 'stoic', and are instantly stigmatized any time they speak of any similar types of problems they may have (for example: depression.) It is viewed as a sign of weakness and is usually met with responses such as "cheer up!", "pull yourself together!", so on and so forth, typically causing the male to be looked down upon.

Granted, this isn't a thread about psychopathology so I'll refrain from typing too much but it's all very fascinating to observe. Societal norms can be a disappointing beast.

I was more talking about the institution factor actually. For women, sexual assault and childhood abuse are probably the primary sources of trauma. They are isolated incidents. Women choose to go to support groups and therapy or not, rely on their friends and family or, again, not. War veterans, which I would imagine make up a big chunk of PTSD victims among men, on the other hand are conditioned to feel like a cog in the machine. When they return home, they have counselors to transition them to civil life and free psychological support. It might make a difference. I'm just speculating on the spot here, though.

Mental disorders fascinate me, too. But yeah, let's shut up. PM me if you want to chat.

Considering bridgemen assault contested plateaus pretty much weekly (those plateau assaults are like the quintessential PTSD trigger) and they have no community support whatsoever, I'd expect it to be much more common among them than soldiers. Then again, maybe they just don't live long enough for it to be a problem. Or maybe the Alethi are magically immune to PTSD. Who knows?

Or perhaps most Bridgemen have survived multiple traumatic events leading up to becoming bridgemen. Most of them are slaves or criminals. Most of them have been caged and mistreated for weeks prior to arriving and being assigned to bridge duty. If they're not already catatonic from seeing slaves beaten or criminal co-conspirators executed, perhaps marching into a hail of arrows won't break them because they are resigned to their fate.

Sure, some percentage will buckle... but my question is if a Knight Radiant must capital B Break like an Allomancer Snaps, why is Kaladin the first Knight Radiant to emerge from the Bridges. What do y'all think the chances are of seeing a few more?

Anyways, I know I'm getting really off-topic. It's the thing in WoR where bridgemen find comfort back running bridges. That really rubbed me the wrong way. I though that was an unrealistic response for people like them.

Not at all. Would you like me to introduce you to several of my friends who are medically-retired Airborne or Special Operations? 7 out of 10 want nothing more than to be back in the fight. Many of them felt they excelled best in the worst situations and they wanted to be outside the wire protecting people more than sitting around the FOB watching DVDs and sweating for no reason.

Blaze, I'm so jealous!  I'll be there tomorrow night, too, but I have been having the hardest time coming up with questions!  The only thing I can think of is "Who the heck was Nakomi (I've been a WoT fan for 15 years)?"  and A.  I know he's not going to answer, and B. I want something good about Stormlight.

I'll be the 30 year old lady with curly hair and glasses, all by her lonesome.  If you recognize me, please stop and say hi!  It would be so nice to actually meet another fan.  I'm a lonely nerd in a world full of non-literates.

Awesome! I'll try to find you. I'll be the overweight, middle eastern looking man with a goatee, and I'll be wearing all blue; Blue overshirt, blue Stormlight Archive T-Shirt, and blue jeans. I too have no friends who enjoy reading what I do.

As for questions, I suggest doing as Weiry said and looking in the Ultimate Questions thread, but if not you can always snag one of mine, as I'm sure I'll be able to think of something on the spot if needed  ;)

Or you could try to finish my questions, which I couldn't, because too bloody many Sharders showed up :P

Too true. Why, back in my day (March) Argent and I had Brandon all to our selves for the lightning round.  <_<  (:P )

Sure, some percentage will buckle... but my question is if a Knight Radiant must capital B Break like an Allomancer Snaps, why is Kaladin the first Knight Radiant to emerge from the Bridges. What do y'all think the chances are of seeing a few more?

To the risk of hijacking this thread, I will say we tend, on average, to put too much emphasis on the requirement of being "broken". It is the least of the requirements to be chosen as a future knight as the most important is the ability to withhold the oaths of a given order, to live up to its doctrine no matter what life throws at you. Being broken is merely a necessity to allow the Nahel bond to install itself and it does not have to be a traumatic event: cracks in the soul are also said to be sufficient.

So no, simply because most bridgemen would likely befit the requirement of being "broken", none befit the requirement of being "worthy". Before Kaladin's arrival, they had all given up. They needed him to push themselves back on their feet. If they were Radiant material, they would have done it by themselves. This being said, it is not excluded former bridge members may grow into proto-Radiant in a near future.

Simply because an individual is broken by events does not mean he will be chosen as a Radiant. Reversely, an individual who is not broken can still be chosen, providing he can manage to grow the requisite cracks.

They needed him to push themselves back on their feet. If they were Radiant material, they would have done it by themselves. This being said, it is not excluded former bridge members may grow into proto-Radiant in a near future.

Not all had given up.  For my money, I'm looking at Rock and Lopen... mostly because they're my favorites.

Not all had given up.  For my money, I'm looking at Rock and Lopen... mostly because they're my favorites.

Well, Lopen didn't really have the time to give up... and he never did a bridge run. He was put on water duty from the start. He never carried the bridge, he never knew the squad before Kaladin. I agree there could be something more about him, but it has not blossomed yet.

Rock had given up, but he was one of the first to come back.

All right. Sorry Maxal, but I'm reclaiming my thread in all its glory. To begin, the signing was awesome. Aside from meeting Brandon, I felt like a bit of a celebrity myself considering about 5 different people approached me across the night with "Are you Blaze?" and "Thanks for the Perfect State pages on the Coppermind!" I was the only Sharder there aside from the wonderful ReesaB and a handful of lurkers, as well as one knowledgeable young lady who isn't a Sharder, but is a part of #Sanderson'sArmy.

The downside of being the only actively contributing Sharder, though, is that I'm pretty much the only one who asked juicy questions. One of the aforementioned lurkers asked an interesting question in the hopes of furthering one of his theories, and aside from that it was just me. One other woman asked a Cosmere based question, but it was one we already knew the answer to.

Aside from small parts of the pre-signing and about the first 10 minutes of the signing itself, I was able to hear every question, since my seat was within 5 feet of Brandon. So here's what you're all wanting to know:

Status of the Recording: I recorded all of it. Literally from before the first pre-signing question until I left the signing area as Brandon walked off, I recorded everything. Unfortunately, that means there's two periods of silence during waiting periods, and it's all one big file. I don't know how to separate and cut up the file, so until I figure that out, or until the signing tour is over, I will not be sharing the recording. The other downside is that during the shuffle of the table top between his reading and the signing, my phone got shuffled to the opposite end of the table as Brandon, and the side of the table that the phone wound up on was occupied by one of the staffers who not only spoke louder than Brandon, but often spoke at the same time as Brandon as he tried sorting out the next person in line's books for personalizations. This means that the recording might be useless. I have not given it a listen to, and don't plan to for a while as I don't have time. But it does exist.

(un)Luckily, as I said, I'm fairly confident I was the only one asking juicy questions, so if the recording is useless, we'll still have all the information in a paraphrased format (my memory is good, but not that good). The only times where a particularly interesting question could have been asked without me hearing was during the times mentioned before: parts of the pre-signing while I socialized in-between taking people's picture with the man, and during the first 5-10 minutes of the actual signing line while I ran out to my car.

Highlights:

I'm going to format the highlights in the Theoryland style, but know that everything below is paraphrased. If I update it with the verbatim question and answers I'll update this statement as well, or at least mark the updated questions/answers. I'll leave my comments upon reflection in red for easy removal.

Blaze1616

You've revealed that the Shard Endowment is female, and in the book the Idrians refer to Austre as a male. Are they the same being?

Brandon 

*sly smile* No, they are not.

Blaze1616

*eyes widen*

Brandon

Who do you think Austre is?

Blaze1616

Well, my best guess would then be some ancient Returned.

Brandon

*smiles again* That's a good guess.

Blaze1616

Now that Wax's old earring is gone, could you reveal what it was allomantically charged with?

Brandon

*smile* I'm not going to reveal which allomantic metal it was charged with right now.

He seemed to hesitate before answering, and I immediately mentally hit myself for using the word allomantic, in case it's feruchemically charged, but then he repeated the word allomantic in his reply. Again, the above is paraphrased, but his response pretty much solidifies that the charge is allomantic in my mind.

(this next question is during General Q&A) 

Question

I don't know how you feel about spoilers right now but-

Brandon

*cuts the kid off* Please no spoilers during the General Q&A.

Question

Okay. During the chase scene in Shadows of Self, it seems that allomancy follows conservation of momentum.

Brandon

Allomancy does indeed follow the conservation of momentum.

I thought this was obvious because Brandon's magic systems almost always follow physics unless noted otherwise, but I couldn't remember if it was ever confirmed for sure, so I figured I'd include it here.

Question

Did you write all the pieces in the broadsheet?

Brandon

No, actually I let a lot of my friends write the different pieces. *lists names both from Dragonsteel Ent. and others* It's really cool. Actually, Isaac, one of my artists, wrote the Allomancer Jak piece for Bands of Mourning, and it'll be the first time something he's written has been published. It's really good. You'll like it.

Question

Will Spook ever return?

Brandon

*long pause* Spook...Spook left a lot of little things around. His influence is in a lot of things. If you read a bit more carefully, you'll be able to pick out things he left behind.

Blaze1616

Can you tell me anything about the downfall of Oregon?

Brandon

Well, I've revealed before that Night's Sorrow was in Oregon during the destruction.

Blaze1616

Yes.

Brandon

Well, Night's Sorrow...Night's Sorrow is the one who destroyed Oregon.

As someone who partakes in the What Happened In Oregon RP, this was an exciting answer.

Blaze1616

This is about fabrials. In Elantris, you mention that the Elantrians have these Aon Tia plates. Using the same technique to make those plates, is it possible for Elantrians to make portable fabrials?

Brandon

That...yes, that would be possible. But remember, the plates would get weaker the further from Elantris you get.

Question

Are you thinking about making the Soonies and selling them in your store?

Brandon

Hah, actually yeah. What I hope to do is make a dog shaped doll, that you can flip inside out. And when you flip it inside out it turns into a Mistwraith. *people all around who heard flip out (this was late into the signing, not much other background noise anymore)*

For the record, this was asked by one of the lurkers mentioned, and I told him to join and participate, so if you were planning on posting this yourself, sorry to steal your thunder!

Question

If a feruchemist charges a metalmind full of identity, and then someone awakens that metalmind, would its personality be that of the identity stored in it?

Brandon

*laughs aloud for a few seconds* Wow. I haven't even revealed what storing identity does yet! Okay. When you awaken it, how are you doing it? A simple awakening? Or Nightblood awakening? Like, are you giving sentience as well?

Question

Sure.

Brandon

Well, see, the stored identity would definitely mess with it, but it wouldn't ultimately be the same identity. It would definitely have an affect.

Blaze1616

*to questioner* I wonder if the Command would have a greater affect, or if it's simply because the metalmind is charged with investiture-

Brandon

I haven't revealed what charging investiture does either.

I think Brandon misunderstood me. I meant that because the metalmind was charged, the investiture would obfuscate the awakening, which we already know. I think he thought I meant the metalmind was charged with investiture, as in it's a nicrosilmind, which it can't be if it's charged with identity (or at least that shouldn't be possible). And for the record, this was asked by one of the lurkers mentioned, and I told him to join and participate, so if you were planning on posting this yourself, sorry to steal your thunder!

Blaze1616

Who would win a game of Tarachin, Hoid or Lightsong?

Brandon

Hoid. Even if he had to cheat.

Blaze1616

I thought so.

Brandon

Plus, Lightsong wouldn't really care.

Blaze1616

The Dor. Is it gaseous investiture? *Brandon pauses for a long moment* If not, then is it plasma instead?

Brandon

You got it. It's not exactly plasma, but *proceeds half explanation that pretty much describes plasma* You get it?

Blaze1616

Yeah. *Brandon looks satisfied*

Blaze1616

Does being an Elantrian make one feel like how Szeth describes holding Stormlight, or like how Vin describes holding the Mists?

Brandon

*grins* No, no it's a completely different feeling.

Blaze1616

I...see...

Brandon

*still smiling* You know, no one asks about the Dor or Elantris. More people should be asking about the Dor. It's very important, and there's a reason why it's so different from the other systems.

Blaze1616

*shocked face*

Brandon

It's not...It's not some huge thing. It's not mind blowing. But there's a simple reason, and it reveals things about the Cosmere.

He seemed very happy that three of my questions that night revolved around Elantris. I wanted to ask a couple more, such as if Hoid felt he should have been made an Elantrian because of the Moon Sceptre, but Brandon seemed to want to leave since the signing finished just a little after 11 rather than sometime after 12, so I said goodbye and left.

All in all, nothing Earth-shattering, but some useful insight and tidbits. I asked most of my questions revolving around the books of mine he was signing at the time, and of the list in the OP, the only one I didn't ask was about kandra mating with humans, as well as the Paalm question, but Argent got an answer for that one in Chicago.

Secondary Highlights:

I'm adding these in because they resurfaced into my brain after I posted the rest of this. These are less important than the main highlights above, but I'm adding them in case someone finds them fun or important, or perhaps we never got official word. I'm not going to bother placing these in approximate order of when they occurred during the night like I did above.

Question

Are you ever going to show us nicrosil and chromium?

Brandon

Yes I will.

The kid who asked this question was, at most, 11 years old. Brandon employed him to run prizes around during the General Q&A to those who asked questions, which got the kid super excited.

Question

Does Steris sit somewhere on the Autistic scale?

Brandon

Yes she does. Good catch.

Question

Why does Glys hide? Does it have to do with his bond or magic, or is it just his personality.

Brandon

It's a little of both. His personality plays a big part, but there's something else too.

When I do bother listening to the recording, I'll be looking for this one. I'm not confident I'm remembering the answer correctly, so take it with a grain of salt for now.

Question

When will Stormlight 3 come out?

Brandon

I'm hoping next Christmas. My original plan was to turn in the book by Spring so that Tor has 9 months to finalize it, but then the other day I got a call from Tom Doherty, the founder of Tor, and he told me that I could take till June if I wanted and it would still get a Christmas release. So I've got until June if I need it.

This surprised me, as Peter has said on here that the process of taking a book's first draft and turning it into the product that sits on shelves takes about a year. So hearing that Tom Doherty said it could be done in 6 months for a book that's easily 2 or 3 times as large as normal, everyday books, was a bit surprising.

I think I touched on everything I wanted to touch on. The whole experience was awesome. I'm going to end with a shout out to all the wonderful people I met there whom I encouraged to join and actively participate on 17th Shard. I hope to see all of you posting soon!

Edit: I added the Secondary Highlights section for the little things I remember as time passes. I also fixed up the original Highlight section to actually mimic Theoryland, since I said I would and then didn't...whoops.

Edited by Blaze1616

@Blaze:

Nice job! I particularly like the Dor as plasma question.

On the recording front, you can download Audacity, plug the file in, and cut out the silence pretty intuitively if you're used to playing with computers. There's plenty of tutorials floating around on Google as well.

Exciting stuff though, good questions. I think it's time we sunk our teeth in the Dor pretty hard.

I've begun to for the past couple of weeks, and now that the 10th anniversary is out I'll probably give Elantris a reread, which will help. It excites me to know that Brandon's very first book still holds secrets we've yet to uncover.

On the recording front, you can download Audacity, plug the file in, and cut out the silence pretty intuitively if you're used to playing with computers. There's plenty of tutorials floating around on Google as well.

My main issue is that I lack a home computer that's of any use, as it's slow as all get out and runs on Vista...Most of my Sharding occurs at work during short breaks. Last night was one of the few times I sucked it up and used my home computer to type up the report because work was too hectic to get on long enough to type that yesterday. Thanks for the advice though, I'll try looking into it. Is there a website where you can edit .wav files without having to download anything?

I've editted the report post above with addition things that surfaced in my memory after I made the post last night. Just a heads up for those who may have already read it.

Edited by Blaze1616

Question

When will Stormlight 3 come out?

Brandon

I'm hoping next Christmas. My original plan was to turn in the book by Spring so that Tor has 9 months to finalize it, but then the other day I got a call from Tom Doherty, the founder of Tor, and he told me that I could take till June if I wanted and it would still get a Christmas release. So I've got until June if I need it.

This surprised me, as Peter has said on here that the process of taking a book's first draft and turning it into the product that sits on shelves takes about a year. So hearing that Tom Doherty said it could be done in 6 months for a book that's easily 2 or 3 times as large as normal, everyday books, was a bit surprising.

Yeah, Brandon said basically the same thing in Chicago. I feel more than a bit bad for Peter & Co. if it does have that fast of a turnaround time, though, as I'm given to understand that it's quite a punishing process to get everything done that quickly.

Thanks, Blaze, amazing job! One thing...

I think he thought I meant the metalmind was charged with investiture, which it shouldn't be if it's charged with identity

Surely, a metalmind fully charged with anything, Identity or health or anything, is full of Investiture? Unless you're saying you think he believed you meant a nicrosilmind specifically and that this would change anything.

Surely, a metalmind fully charged with anything, Identity or health or anything, is full of Investiture? Unless you're saying you think he believed you meant a nicrosilmind specifically and that this would change anything.

I think that's what Blaze is saying. Also, I would guess that "full of Investiture" is not the same thing as "charged with Investiture". I don't know the difference, though. Edited by Limelleth

I think that's what Blaze is saying. Also, I would guess that "full of Investiture" is not the same thing as "charged with Investiture". I don't know the difference, though.

It's the same as batteries. A battery can be full of charge, at which point it can take no more, or it can be merely charged, which puts it anywhere between 0% and 100% power.

Thanks, Blaze, amazing job! One thing...

I think he thought I meant the metalmind was charged with investiture, which it shouldn't be if it's charged with identity

Mm, you are correct, I'll edit the post to make my thoughts more clear. My comment was referencing that since the metalmind was filled with Identity, the investiture within could possibly be what's interfering, but his response clearly showed he thought my use of investiture meant that the metalmind was actually stored investiture, implying a nicrosilmind.

Ah, I think I see what you mean now. Sorry for the confusion.

Hey, not a problem!

Oh, and because I haven't posted it yet, my new most prized possession:

wRk2yuK.jpg

He laughed when he saw it. I had it printed on card stock, so it's not flimsy and has a bit of weight to protect from damage from things like wind.

I'm thinking of framing it and hanging it on my wall.

My main issue is that I lack a home computer that's of any use, as it's slow as all get out and runs on Vista...Most of my Sharding occurs at work during short breaks. Last night was one of the few times I sucked it up and used my home computer to type up the report because work was too hectic to get on long enough to type that yesterday. Thanks for the advice though, I'll try looking into it. Is there a website where you can edit .wap files without having to download anything?

I'm afraid my experience in this front is limited beyond Audacity; perhaps some other kind Sharder knows?

I'd be willing to edit the file myself if it's no trouble for you, though if there's a Dalinar reading I suppose that's troublesome. Maybe someone who's already heard the reading could remove it.

I'd be willing to edit the file myself if it's no trouble for you, though if there's a Dalinar reading I suppose that's troublesome. Maybe someone who's already heard the reading could remove it.

Yes, the reading is there, as well as Brandon's talk. The thing is, given the vague description of the excerpt read at Chicago, the one he read in Lansing was different, so I don't know which excerpts he read where.

I strongly doubt you got a different reading. If yours included young Dalinar (17, I think?), a battle, and an archer, then we have the same one.

Okay, I must have somehow missed mention of "Blackthorn", given your trivia in the Chicago thread. Well then, anyone who attended the Chicago signing know how to/have the ability to edit a .wav file?