Vending Machine: Sanderson edition (game)

Brandon Sanderson

You wanna know a cool story, guys? When I was just, like, fourteen, maybe twelve, we went to Jackson Hole and you [Brandon's dad] bought me my first ring. I don't wear a lot of jewelry, but you bought me a ring that had a big topaz in it. (Big for my age.) And when I started writing my very first book, I named a character Topaz. Which is still one of Hoid's aliases, that's where his first name came from, was the topaz that my father bought for me.

If any of you have read Dragonsteel (someday, I'll let everyone read it), that's why he's named Topaz in that. Well, he had a topaz, that's where he got it in-world. But name came from my father buying me a ring that was a really cool looking ring that I always kind of thought about and then named a character after.

Adam Horne

People want to know if you still have the ring.

Brandon Sanderson

I do not still have the ring. I wish that I did. We had a rough time where we moved from Nebraska to Idaho, and a lot of things got lost. A lot of my items (I was not there, I was in Korea at the time) got carefully and delicately packed up my brother, who was very, very kind. But somewhere in that, the ring didn't make that transfer.

YouTube Livestream 7 (May 7, 2020)

3 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Gets a very angry and a very trapped-in-a-gold-loop Hoid.

No one ever remembers Topaz is a Hoid alias. :( 

*Inserts :ph34r:*

Gets :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:.

I know Topaz is a Hoid alias. Topaz rings are significant too. 

*inserts quilt*