Paalm and Her Spike

Blaze1616

Rust isn't even metal. I doubt it will burn.

And what did you think suspending the metal in alcohol was probably for besides washing it down?

Not entirely sure how aluminum of all things would matter here . . . Aluminum mistings are literally useless.

Rust isn't even metal. I doubt it will burn.

And what did you think suspending the metal in alcohol was probably for besides washing it down?

Not entirely sure how aluminum of all things would matter here . . . Aluminum mistings are literally useless.

Not completely, they can remove negative Investitures from their body too so that would definitely be helpful.

I don't necessary think of rust as in our reality - more like an analogy. This red "Whatever" could be the only new form of metal and is attacking one of the known metals - perhaps it's even imported.

Not oxidation in the normal sense - an aggressive form of metal acting like a virus or cancer.

The "red and gold" - gold isn't corroding.

I really don't think of rust as our normal oxidation, more like our basics transfered to the metalic system on Scandrial.

Why would we even call it rust anymore then? I mean rust isn't even really red enough to be mistaken for blood stains on metal. It's honestly closer to brown.

I feel like we're making this needlessly complex despite how little we know.

Why would we even call it rust anymore then? I mean rust isn't even really red enough to be mistaken for blood stains on metal. It's honestly closer to brown.

I feel like we're making this needlessly complex despite how little we know.

Seconded, I don't see the point in calling something rust if it has absolutely nothing to do with rust. And what are you proposing as an alternative? I'm still not entirely clear. Some other Shards god metal that's somehow alive?

After reading the second book I had thought that the new spike had actually come from Bloody Tan.

I had assumed being a mortician he had found it in another body and had somehow spiked himself. The voices had driven him mad and also driven him to experiment with hemalurgy.

When Paalm recovered/devoured the body of Tan she had been spiked and in turn was also driven mad and experimented with hemalurgy.

EDIT: With Blaze's idea on this with the extra bit of Ruin, but with a twist. That extra bit has become a Splinter.

We know that it is possible

minor Cosmere/Stormlight spoilers

for a Shard to be alive and still have Splinters, a la Cultivation/Odium/Honour (presumably some spren before his death were of him)

Granted we don't know what Saze has done exactly with that excess Ruin but I'm speculating he would most likely have expelled it early on after his Ascension as it would be taxing to keep trying to maintain a loaded balance. He could have done this early on, not fully realising the consequences of doing so, as demonstrated by his rookie-mistake(s) in SoS. Again, we also don't know how long it takes for a Splinter to develop a mind of it's own but given that the extra bit probably is a noticeable portion of Investiture, it's possible it could have taken say...a few hundred years or so? Not only that but it would also explain the extra few tricks Paalm's managed to do with Hemalurgy (using Allomancy/Feruchemy as a Kandra) as Hemalurgy is Ruin's art

If those red flecks are actually rust, and not of Odium, it certainly does make the curse Rust and Ruin interesting no?

Edited by ParadoxSpren

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got in touch with Peter regarding my question from the Chicago Shadows of Self signing about the number of spikes Paalm had (i.e. one from unknown metal, or one from unknown metal and one regular). The magnificent human being that he is, he got back to me pretty quickly: "Paalm was only using one spike at a time, all of them made from the unknown metal."

In addition, spikes damage the spiritweb.  On Roshar, such damage allows spren to come in and work their magic, what if on Scadrial the Shards can speak into the minds of damaged souls?

WoB to me in Houston last month confirms that all Shards can communicate to some extent with a spiked individual.

Me: (Stammering) Well, yes. hmm. We... we've seen someone with a hemallurgic spike communicate or under the control of Ruin or Harmony. Can other *Shards* communicate or control those individuals?"

Brandon: Yes. Good Question. Yes... *scribbles* They can certainly communicate...

me:To what extent?

Brandon: Not to the extent that Ruin did. The others could communicate but it'd be vague or faint, not as direct as Ruin was. He connects to us, well, them through the little bit of Preservation that he had or could touch. Because the spike pierces the soul.

Me: What about on other planets than Scadrial?

Brandon: It'd work the same way. but again probably vaguer or fainter. Might go unnoticed.

Back a way in this topic people were wondering how a Kanda could carry extra spikes so they would be available for use. They would do it like MeLann did. She just popped open her breast and pulled out a weapon. Why couldn't Paalm do the same with extra spikes?

She probably did, and made sure no bind-points touched them. We already know Kandra bindpoints are fluid...it would make sense. Just having a spike inside the body wouldn't really do anything if it didn't bind. (She just would get no benefit from it)

• Chaos locked this topic