17S Mistborn Adventure Game!

Mckeedee123

See, I was sad that one needed to be over zealous to get them in Australia (and I didn't think to post here to see if anyone else was getting them to pitch in for a set...). So, just putting it out there, I'd be interested in paying for a set if someone happened to have a spare (and ya know, was happy to send them to Australia).

Just went back and checked my notes. I actually ordered 2 with the intention of using them as birthday presents or somesuch (in addition to 5 for others and 6 for me). With the USD-AUD conversion it was just over $25 a set. So if you are happy to pay that much, + a few bucks postage, I can send you a set when they arrive.

(And yes, I know I changed my mind from my last post, turns out I was remembering the number of sets incorrectly.)

Just went back and checked my notes. I actually ordered 2 with the intention of using them as birthday presents or somesuch (in addition to 5 for others and 6 for me). With the USD-AUD conversion it was just over $25 a set. So if you are happy to pay that much, + a few bucks postage, I can send you a set when they arrive.

(And yes, I know I changed my mind from my last post, turns out I was remembering the number of sets incorrectly.)

12 sets was the base pledge, and you got more? o.O

If you're willing to part with them, I'd be happy to pay that.

Edited by Haelbarde

12 sets was the base pledge, and you got more? o.O

If you're willing to part with them, I'd be happy to pay that.

Sure thing. Will let you know when they arrive.

Actually 6 was the base international pledge, and I got 13. To be fair, 5 of that was proxy for other people so really I only got 8 right?

Alright. I posted the current heroes' profiles on the front page. Here's our first prompting (I'm not all that great of a writer, and it's written in 3rd person omniscient in the present tense, but I hope it's still readable):

---

Backstory:

Our heroes all came from different backgrounds, but they joined together when the human members were organized into a unit of the Skaa Rebellion named the Cobalt Mists. Joining the humans was Denpai, a kandra whose contract was gambled away in a poorly played game of shelldry to Ruseed Konsue. Their mission was to start a resource colony in the Eastern Dominance to help support the military units there. After finding a cave and secluded valley with soil non-alkaline enough to grow certain grain crops, they set out to do some raiding. A small convoy was attacked and exactly 23 skaa were "captured," along with some food and a pile of metal tools which they traded to a local warlord named Klerg in exhange for seeds. The scene begins soon after their party's return to their base, having been gone for several months. The skaa were sent down below.

The setting sun silhouettes the estate against the harsh eastern landscape as Denpai, Kady, Ruseed, Arsenowick, and Wilor peek their heads over the ridge.

The estate, newly built on the eastern side of the Seran Lakes, is more than a financial enterprise, it's a challenge. A challenge to the bandit groups occupying the salt flats in the far Eastern Dominance. We can build this here. Our soldiers and fortifications allow us to spread the Empire's influence even to these untamed lands. Eventually, we'll conquer the whole of the known world.

The threat is more immediate than that to these rebels. One of the exits to the bands' hideout is located near the site of the building, and it's only a matter of time before some taskmaster ventures deeper into the cave and finds the 23 would-be revolutionaries encamped within.

So what is everyone going to do about it? Discuss, then declare actions (probably having to do with intelligence gathering.)

Edited by Mckeedee123

Are we allowed to ask you questions about our circumstances? Or would that be breaking the 4th wall/ do we need to use actions to get a proper grasp of our surroundings?

Learning about troop numbers, the names of the nobles who are living there, etc. is based on actions. Basic geography and stuff that your characters could easily observe, though, you can just ask.

I edited in a little bit of backstory, so the post makes more sense.

Edited by Mckeedee123

Would do this, but don't want to be sued. 

I know the feeling, but Crafty do have a play by post section of their own forums, and I'm pretty sure they're aware of our gaming at Steel Ministry. As long as we're encouraging people to buy the game at every turn (which I would actually do anyway for selfish reasons; the more money they make from this, the more supplements we get, and the more likely they are to do an Elantris or Warbreaker or even Stormlight Archive supplement; I've considered buying redundant copies of MAG supplements for this very reason; Crafty's success helps us all), and not posting huge swaths of the rulebook (you'll notice I haven't laid out the rules of my stunt on my character sheet) I'm sure we'll be okay.

I figure Wilor, coming from a noble family, would be the natural choice for someone to impersonate a noble while trying to gather some info. Thoughts?

GENIUS! Maybe you could suggest that in character?

Ok, here's my initial thoughts:

1. Fighting the estate head on is not an option, if we bring attention to ourselves by causing a scandal- we'll have the steel ministry and an army down our necks to deal with and lose the caves anyway. Our solution has to both cause the invaders to leave us alone and not reveal that we are here- or we could look into relocation, moving further east.

2. While having one of the cave entrances exposed may seem like a big issue, it plays into our favor as well- as it means we have an easy entrance/escape route that the nobles don't know about yet, making infiltration a lot easier. We'll simply hide the entrance with some rocks & bushes, and start a guard rotation. The guards will need to be camouflaged and armed well enough to take down anyone who gets too close (a bow should suffice). If we do have to kill anyone, we can move the body elsewhere to draw attention away from the caves and frame other people for the murder (for example: our Warlord friend, or an abusive noble)

3. Since I own DenPai's contract, I guess that means I decide who he impersonates? Having a Kandra is going to make the "not revealing ourselves" aspect a lot easier, so where we place him is crucial. We could have him take the place of the taskmaster who patrols our part of the field, so that there's no chance of us being discovered by the people who work there (we could even liberate some of the Skaa working in that part of the district). Alternatively, we could place him among the nobility to spy on them and gain the authority to give commands in our favor (If we place him high enough, perhaps we could convince the Nobles to leave through diplomatic means). Or, we could place him amidst the local Warlord to have some influence over their responses to the estate (ie: spark a war: this will lead to less attention being drawn to us (so we'll be less likely to be discovered), would persuade the nobles to leave- and if the armies are called in, they won't be after us).

4. Since the estate appears to be a plantation, the best thing we can do to persuade them to leave is to sabotage the farms. We could do this by sowing the fields with salt, stealing crops, and starting fires. If we do so in parts of the plantation far away from our cave, we can draw attention elsewhere- thus making the caves less likely to be found.

5. We only have so much food, sooner or later we're going to need to raid more convoys- and presumably this estate is going to be sending out & sending in a lot of those... Perhaps we can use that to our advantage? 

How do the military units we're supposed to be supporting come into this? Are they in the caves with us, and if so can we make use of their weaponry, etc? Can we give them orders? How is Klerg responding to the situation, and if possible, can we organize an alliance with him to overcome our common enemy?

***I'm the new guy, my character sheets on the first page. Unodus I like your thinking. If our mission is to start a resource colony then we want to eventually control the plantation as close to functional as possible. So no salting fields. 

If Wilor goes in the front door to get a tour we can send DenPai to impersonate the task master or who ever you chose. We can even lure them in to the cave to take them.

Do we post actions here or in the PM?***

-How do the military units we're supposed to be supporting come into this?

-Are they in the caves with us, and if so can we make use of their weaponry, etc?

-Can we give them orders?

-How is Klerg responding to the situation, and if possible, can we organize an alliance with him to overcome our common enemy?

-There's one unit about 5 kilometers south, on the northern coast of South Seran. There's a cove out there where they operate some ships. Another is about 7 kilometers east, and it's growing a little bit too big to support itself on its own, which is why you were assigned to help.

-You've met with both of the leaders of these units, and they seem more like bandits than rebels. They will, however, answer the call for reinforcements if it comes from a higher authority, or if you can provide some incentives. The unit to the east is happy you exist, but the one to the south is afraid you're going to cut into their profits (understandable, since that's their main source of metal and money.)

-No one in your unit has authority to command them, but you can try to convince them to help.

-Klerg is content to let the plantation exist. Attacking it would probably be costly, and there'd be plenty of shipments of grain and metals to raid, as well as slaves to acquire (his fields are tilled by captured skaa, and a few nobles whose families couldn't pay the ransom.) Klerg's family has lived as bandits in the burnlands for as long as he can remember, so he's used to shifting tides of power. He'd also be open to bribery, however.

Do we post actions here or in PM?

Both are fine, now that I think of it. Just highlight your specific action in blue.

Edited by Mckeedee123

Wilor observed the plantation, trying to think of a way in. Nobles liked fancy dresses and balls, would they maybe host a ball he could sneak into?

"Can we get a nobleman's suit? I still remember some of my training as a child and I could fake being a noble long enough to gather some information," Wilor posed to the group. He spun his knife around absentmindedly. This was a case when his mask, however pointless the others thought it, would come in handy. He could be dashing Lord Zerrung by day, and a masked Lurcher by night and the other nobles would never know.

"That could work," Asenowick pauses to spin the ring on his left hand. "Although i think we should entertain the idea of removing them by force...We could use some more information on here troop and disposition and how well fortified they are. I am going to scout the plantations perimeter see what i can find out.

Arsenowick scouts the planation from a distance keeping to the shadows. (Action) ***My browser wont let me change it to blue, ill switch after this post*** 

***I'm the new guy, my character sheets on the first page. Unodus I like your thinking. If our mission is to start a resource colony then we want to eventually control the plantation as close to functional as possible. So no salting fields. 

If Wilor goes in the front door to get a tour we can send DenPai to impersonate the task master or who ever you chose. We can even lure them in to the cave to take them.

Do we post actions here or in the PM?***

(Whats with the asterisks?)

Good point about aiming to control the plantation. Although, if we're going to go as far as to try claim the plantation, perhaps we can get them to give it to us legally? Suppose if Wilor, impersonating a noble house, were to "buy" the plantation- we could use the estate as a front, and use it to produce food for our units. Best of all, this wouldn't alert the steel ministry (although I imagine we'd need to keep up appearances, etc) 

When I say "buy", I know there's no way we can afford for the estate, but if the said lord we were buying from were replaced with DenPai- we could fake a transaction between Wilor and the noble in charge, take control of the property, and then get DenPai back by staging an "accident" where the noble is "killed" so DenPai can sneak back to us.

Our main issue in such a plan is getting the bones to begin with, although I'm sure with our misting group we could impersonate a group of "traveling prefomers" to lure the nobles out of the estate (Not that we'd blatantly reveal our powers to the nobility so they'd call the steel ministry, but little tricks which they presume as a matter of practice)- we'd then call over the lord who owns the estate to "discuss with him privately", and use that opportunity to replace him with DenPai.

After that, we stall so we can get a grasp on the current politics in the nobles (as well as making sure our caves aren't discovered), then have DenPai introduce Wilor as a "rich distant cousin, interested in purchasing the property", so Wilor can go through the business of "buying" the property (this will be staged, so we won't lose anything in the transaction)- then get DenPai to relocate his relatives & anyone we can't trust back where they came from (before staging his death so he can come back to us),  and we'll move in with our 20 Skaa.

Hows that for a plan?

Also, how long would it take for DenPai to make a copy of the nobleman? We'd only have a matter of minutes, I assume 
Edited by Unodus

Hows that for a plan?

Also, how long would it take for DenPai to make a copy of the nobleman? We'd only have a matter of minutes, I assume 

Wait let me check... uh unless I get to start with a stunt (which I don't think I do) hours (depending on his physique attribute). Then there's also the problem of getting to know the nobles mannerism and the like from observation beforehand.

Edited by Edgedancer

In that case, what if we kidnapped him during (or before) the show and then over the next few days demanded a ransom for him? It's a little risky, but having a hostage will make the nobles less likely to call in the inquisition- plus we'll get a little money to play around with. It'd give us all the time DenPai needs to become the noble, and if the other nobles find him behaving oddly- they'll blame it on the trauma of being kidnapped.