Spoilers - The Relationships

Sirscott13

Ok given the tragic ending I think we can all say for certain that the Lessie and Wax thing is officially and one hundred percent over.

Having said that, did anyone else grow to really love Steris as a compliment to Wax? After the scene where they go to the governors party, I really started to feel something between them. Then there was the ending, I honestly want to see more Steris and Wax scenes. I hate to say it but I hope they work it out and get married.

The Marasi and Wax dynamic just doesn't hold any sway with me anymore. I felt a connection in Alloy, but now it seems like they would be way better as friends. Anyone else agree?

Wayne and Ranette is an interesting relationship and I honestly want to hear what people think of it. I love the way Wayne sees Ranette and it's a sweet way to think of someone trying to shoot you. I just don't feel a spark.

Wayne and MeLaan however I did feel something. Yes she is Kandra and far older than him, but the way they went back and forth was cute and it felt like they had a connection. Anyone else get that impression?

Any other relationships you saw?

Wayne and MeLaan was definitely great. Especially because it's not going to happen. That seems to be a theme--potential relationships that are never going to work. AoL pushed the Wax/Marasi chemistry so hard, only to conclude that the relationship just isn't in the cards. Now, we have Wayne really clicking with MeLaan. But Wayne loves Ranette, and that's that (even if that isn't going to work out, either). 

Wayne and Steris working out is really growing on me, too. It's a good thing, too. Wax is devastated over Lessie all over again, and Steris seems to be right there for him. I really want that to work now. Wax deserves some happiness.

seems wax and steris is working out. I still don't feel like it fits. i have much more respect for steris after this book, but still i wouldn't propose her for romance. I still think he'd fit much better with marasi, even though he'd fit much less than he did in the first book.

Wayne and Melaan were really cute. I hope wayne figures out ranette is lesbian and leaves her alone, if nothing else because he's quite embarassing.

I felt that Steris really stepped up as a partner for Wax, rather than a love interest.  And I think that's what he wants from a marriage.  

I don't think he'll recover from Lessie and I think he's just fine with his wife being a woman he can work closely with.  

Wayne and Melaan's chemistry was so much fun to read! Maybe he'll get the concept of homosexuality through his thick skull, seeing as Ranette referred to her girlfriend by name. Probably not, though, due to all the literal banging his head against a wall...

I agree with everyone here on liking Steris a lot more.

Edited by duladen

She does namedrop a girl in this book who would supposedly be worried. At least, I think it was a girl's name.

Wax had suspicions in AoL already anyway.

Wayne will just use Wayne logic to deny it.

Edited by natc

(I can't believe I'm posting in a shipping thread... :lol: )

We have a WoB stating that Ranette is a homosexual character, so I think that pretty much settles it, yes?  No Ranette for Wayne. Now, Marasi, however... (trails off)

I was very happy to see Steris really come into her own in this book.  Instead of being just a cold, calculating facade, to me she seemed to really be... ok, still extremely calculating, but at least not "cold." And she really gained depth to me in her interactions with Wax and Wayne. She's making a 100% all-out effort to "be the perfect wife/betrothed" for Wax and to reach out to Wayne as more than just a comic foil. Wayne seems to honestly not like Steris, but maybe he'll eventually get over that (or not, who knows). 

However it works out, though, I came out of this book really, really liking Steris.  (It also helps that I identify with her social awkwardness, so there's that, too.)

We do have the WoB? Well sorry Wayne that's the end of that. Maybe MeLaan will comfort him through the realization :P

I really hope we get more Steris out of the next book, because honestly her scenes were some of my favorite in the whole book, I was shocked by how much I wanted to see it. Like really shocked. I'm not saying it beats some of the other love relationships Brandon has wrong. Stormlight still has one of my favorite dynamics. White Sand too, but this Steris-Wax one is working for me...

(And yes I do apologize for starting a Shipping thread, but honestly I needed to discuss it with someone haha)

Just to be Ruin's advocate- Wayne's deep dislike of Steris is a manifestation of his secret longing for Wax, which he dares not acknoledge, even to himself.

Nah.

I really like Wayne and MelAan's chemistry. I hope Marasi can meet seone cool in the next book. Perhaps some dashing and mysterious woldhopper will sweep her off her feet?

We do have the WoB? Well sorry Wayne that's the end of that. Maybe MeLaan will comfort him through the realization :P

I really hope we get more Steris out of the next book, because honestly her scenes were some of my favorite in the whole book, I was shocked by how much I wanted to see it. Like really shocked. I'm not saying it beats some of the other love relationships Brandon has wrong. Stormlight still has one of my favorite dynamics. White Sand too, but this Steris-Wax one is working for me...

(And yes I do apologize for starting a Shipping thread, but honestly I needed to discuss it with someone haha)

Probably could have linked it in my other post, but I was too lazy to google it then.  :) 

Here are the two links from Theoryland that establish Ranette as a gay character.

Ok given the tragic ending I think we can all say for certain that the Lessie and Wax thing is officially and one hundred percent over.

Having said that, did anyone else grow to really love Steris as a compliment to Wax? After the scene where they go to the governors party, I really started to feel something between them. Then there was the ending, I honestly want to see more Steris and Wax scenes. I hate to say it but I hope they work it out and get married.

The Marasi and Wax dynamic just doesn't hold any sway with me anymore. I felt a connection in Alloy, but now it seems like they would be way better as friends. Anyone else agree?

Wayne and Ranette is an interesting relationship and I honestly want to hear what people think of it. I love the way Wayne sees Ranette and it's a sweet way to think of someone trying to shoot you. I just don't feel a spark.

Wayne and MeLaan however I did feel something. Yes she is Kandra and far older than him, but the way they went back and forth was cute and it felt like they had a connection. Anyone else get that impression?

Any other relationships you saw?

I felt like Wayne and MeLaan were just good friends. If Wayne is going anywhere with anyone, it's the inventor's daughter who he's going to bankroll IMO. ;)

I actually hope Marasi doesn't get paired off due to completionism. She strikes me as having a particular type and I don't know if a random worldhopper would fit it.

And yeah, until we found out who Paalm was, I was actually on team Steris/Wax. I don't know how they'll do with Wax's fresh emotional wounds, but I like Steris a whole lot more after the middle of the book, and I hope they can work it out.

I wonder why Ranette doesn't tell Wayne, unl Es maybe she is a bit bi?

I'm pretty sure that if Ranette were on the bisexuality spectrum Brandon wouldn't have labelled her as gay. I got the distinct impression that Ranette was aware of Wayne's delusions about her and found trying to dispel them pointless or impractical.

we don't know how socially accepted homosexuality is in alloy-era scadrial. maybe she don't tell because it's considered shameful. or maybe because she think wayne won't stop for that. I mean, she actually did shoot him at times. if wayne can't take that as a hint that his attentions are unwecomed, then i have no idea what will work.

I felt that Steris really stepped up as a partner for Wax, rather than a love interest.  And I think that's what he wants from a marriage.  

I don't think he'll recover from Lessie and I think he's just fine with his wife being a woman he can work closely with.  

Yeah. I think Steris being supportive of Wax in this situation is going to be something that really solidifies their relationship. I don't think it was ever going to be a  witty romantic fling (in spite of Steris's surprising interest in playing Loise Lane flown through the air in superman's arms), but I think by Bands of Mourning they're going to be closer.

I think it depends on what extent of "recovery" we're talking about. Wax eventually came to terms with Lessie's death on his own, so even though this is arguably even more of a psychological blow, I think with Steris he can partially come to terms with the melancholy and depression (squaring things away with Saz is an entirely other story). 

Frankly I figure she IS fond of both Wax and Wayne in a platonic sense. Wayne is just the annoying little brother whose tough enough that you can get away with shooting him to get him to stop bothering you. And I don't think she quite feels Wayne's puppy love necessitates her disclosing her orientation.

we don't know how socially accepted homosexuality is in alloy-era scadrial

A thousand years of the steel ministry generally not caring about such things (they only cared about skaa/noble interbreeding) might make it, if not openly accepted, privately tolerated behavior in many circles. I'm sure some of the new religions have invented doctrine on the matter of course.

I originally didn't like Steris for Wax. I think she might be a little on the autism spectrum with all of her need to plan things out so precisely and not being very emotional (as stated in writing from previous suitors). After SoS I would not mind seeing them together. I like her so much more because she was actually there and supportive of him.

I am sad for Marasi, I hope that she grows up more, which we did see a great deal in this book.

Yes I see a possible future for Wayne with the inventor's daughter. OR is he just feeling that he can live vicariously through her because someone killed her daddy?

I doubt he'll have a thing with the inventor's daughter. You're right about the living vicariously thing. He killed someone's father, and he can't ever make it right, so he was hit really hard when she accused him (or rather, the character he was playing) of killing her father. This is his chance to do right by someone who accused him of killing their dad. If they did have a romantic relationship, the psychological implications would complicate things. Not that it absolutely couldn't happen, but there would then need to be a scene where he came clean about why he approached her to begin with, or it would be pretty messed up.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. If he does have a relationship with this girl that seems to be so much younger than himself he would eventually have to tell her the truth...

As far as Milan (I am spelling it wrong sorry) and Wayne 1) doesn't she have a thing for TenSoon? 2) she is not rough enough for him 3) very good friends is what I predict for them

Edited by SweetLift