Wayne's Understanding of People

Argent

Eh, technically kandra were human too. When Rashek took the power of the Well, he turned all Feruchemists into mistwraiths, offering his buddies a kandra upgrade.

Kandra are humans modified into blobs outright and then spiked. Koloss are (were, at least) just humans spiked way too much for their own good with strength.

Koloss definitely still need spikes. Brandon wrote Pits of Eltania, didn't he? I suppose you could argue "Allomancer Jak" as a non-credible reporter (pun intended) but it lines up with what else we've been told.

I am very hazy on remembering the details.

P.S. with alll his understanding of people, I wonder why he hasn't figured out ranette.

I believe that's a case of Wayne existing in a state of extreme denial.  There may also be some other issues at play; staying hung up on Ranette is "safe".  He knows exactly what to expect, so there's no risk in actually falling for someone who would return his affections.  Maybe it's tied up in the guilt he still feels about the man he killed when he was a teenager, that this is part of his self-punishment, sticking to someone he knows he doesn't have a chance with.

Or I could be over-analyzing and it's just Wayne being inexplicably Wayne.  :lol:

I guessed this in reply to your other thread, but I'll repeat myself here.

I was struck by how well Wayne and MeLaan seemed to get along.  In particular, she seemed to understand his ideas about imitation, and the importance of accents and small things.  And we note that the kandra have superhuman (more correctly, inhuman) healing ability.  It's a bit harder to connect the actual temporal ability, but kandra are immortal and can manipulate their bodies at very high speed.

I think it makes sense that they get along; he's unusually skilled in an area that the kandra usually consider to be their domain.  "Oh, hey, look at the cute little clever human!  Who's a good human?  You are!"

I was at the London Forbidden Planet signing last night and asked Brandon about this. He said that it is just him, Wayne is just really good at understanding people, and there really isn't anything more to it.

This actually makes me happy.  I don't like the idea that every cool/interesting thing about a character has to be attributed to a power.  It's far more interesting when they're just things that make them people.

This actually makes me happy.  I don't like the idea that every cool/interesting thing about a character has to be attributed to a power.  It's far more interesting when they're just things that make them people.

Yup, just inherent awsomeness. Now his ability to add two and wo to get a pickle... clearly there's Soulcasting at work. :ph34r::P

Yup, just inherent awsomeness. Now his ability to add two and wo to get a pickle... clearly there's Soulcasting at work. :ph34r::P

Pickle magic is the best magic.

Well, almost.  If he could only put that to work on cupcakes...

I mean, there was no indication of lassie being a kandra, but that was because readers should absolutely not figure it out in advance; i can't see something similar done for a spike on wayne.

What's that you say? Little Timmy fell down the well?

Sorry, had to be done. :D

P.S. with alll his understanding of people, I wonder why he hasn't figured out ranette.

Extreme denial, Wayne somehow having a Ranette-shaped hole in his understanding of people, Kaymyth's idea that it's 'safe' for him to be hung up on her, or he knows deep down and just likes annoying her because he's Wayne.

Edited by Weltall

• 1 month later...

I just re-read Shadows of Self and at one time, Paalm says (paraphrasing) that Wayne is Hamony's creature, just like Wax. It made me wonder if Wayne is spiked somewhere and we just don't know about it. He's not a Pathian, so he doesn't have an earring.

It could also be as simple as Wayne being loyal to Wax, and so he's Harmony's by default/extension.  Wayne himself obviously isn't very religious, strictly speaking. ;)

Harmony likes the juxtaposition of preservation and ruin. Wax is roughly one fourth Ruin, by his slightly vigilante methods of neutralizing criminals, but Wayne is about three-fourths Ruin. He 'trades', goes where he shouldn't, generally says to the world, "I reject your laws, and follow my own." He has few personal rules, Rule Number One being 'Never get on Wax's bad side. Unless he's going to come around later.' Most of what Wayne does is either noble in its own way, or just follows different rules. That's his Preservation. Between Wax and Wayne, they have Ruinous Harmony.

Now excuse me, I need to make a 'Lawful Good' meme.

• Chaos locked this topic