Bavadin's Intent

Seonid

Foreshadowing that White Sand may soon appear from the tall grass and attac-...err i mean be on the horizon?

Isn't it supposed to release next year?

And yeah, I totally agree Chaos, this is why you have to push those RAFO questions sometimes- otherwise you miss the great ones that don't get RAFOed. ;)

Also, I need to re-read a certain very long Word document...

This is why I converted my file to pdf and put it on my Kindle. :) Found it a lot easier. I read it a couple months ago but this info makes me want to go back and re-read or at least skim and see what I can find. 

Edited by azninvasion99

Multiple WoBs. I am low on time (and high on caffeine), but it went pretty much like this:

• Is the author of the (The Way of Kings) letter Hoid? Yes.
  • Is the recipient of the (The Way of Kings) letter a dragon? Yes.
  • Who is the oldest character we know? Frost.
  • ???
  • Frost is the recipient of the Letter

Also, I am indeed confusing Frost and Khriss. Nazh works for Khriss. Frost is just a dragon Hoid knows.

"Oh, never mind him. He's just a dragon, no big deal."

Anyway. Always interesting to learn more about the enigmatic Bavadin, so thanks Seonid!

I don't think "keeping out of people's business" is necessarily something Autonomy would do. You can make a pretty strong case for him interfering with other worlds, pushing them towards independence. Making sure every Shardworld produces Braveheart...

Going back to this...

Autonomy would want to interfere as little as possible to ensure people are free. Once you've achieved freedom for somebody, interfering with them without their consent is definitely violating their autonomy. So far his Shard's intent is the closest to the doctrine we've heard that Frost and the 17th Shard are, to our knowledge, following, that worldhoppers should be observers and police to keep other people from interfering on too large a scale.

So he might, for instance, argue that you could divert an asteroid to save a planet that's not capable of diverting celestial bodies, as doing such a thing would preserve their freedom, and they have no ability to choose to divert it themselves. But he certainly wouldn't approve of modifying their behaviour without their knowledge to prevent the spread of a deadly disease. That would be violating their autonomy. It seems to me that a lot of what Hoid wants to do falls a lot closer to the second example I gave than the first- he nudges political events, participates in wars, and appears to be collecting very powerful Invested objects.

Interesting, does this info come from unpublished works or wob?

I'm informed she's from White Sand, which is coming out soon as a multi-part graphic novel.

Edited by Ari

So, I just got out of the midnight release event, and I asked Brandon what the intent of Bavadin's shard is. After converting with Isaac, he was willing to release it.

Bavadin's Intent is Autonomy

Major props dude.

So are we assuming Autonomy= Survival? Mainly because the strict definition of autonomy is "the capacity of a rational individual to make an informed, un-coerced decision."(I really love Wikipedia)

Autonomous magic would probably be about "freeing" things, if I guess correctly. Braveheart is probably the way to go, but it seems like their'd be more to it. Maybe something to do with bringing things to life? Similar to Awakening, but more permanent. Or perhaps the ability to sustain yourself? Lame, but possible. My favorite idea is that it gives the practitioners a random set of abilities, and they gain power by not relying on said power. Can't wait to see where this thread goes!

I'd read Autonomy more as independence, doing things for yourself and eschewing the will of others (so, an opposite to Dominion). Perhaps you could take it a step further and say Autonomy is somewhat related somewhat to anarchy.

I'd like to add that while the magic will certainly be about or relate to autonomy/independence/freedom, this does not prevent Autonomy himself from controlling people in order to bring it about. No more than Ruin has self-destructive tendencies (he doesn't).

He'd have to stop at some point to make the system truly stand by itself, but he's likely not above chessmaster-ing everyone until then.

I'd read Autonomy more as independence, doing things for yourself and eschewing the will of others (so, an opposite to Dominion). Perhaps you could take it a step further and say Autonomy is somewhat related somewhat to anarchy.

I agree with the Autonomy ----> Indipendence and we make some Speculation about its Manifestation of Investiture.

PS: There is any place in the forum to talk about White Sand ?

I'd like to add that while the magic will certainly be about or relate to autonomy/independence/freedom, this does not prevent Autonomy himself from controlling people in order to bring it about. No more than Ruin has self-destructive tendencies (he doesn't).

That does not make much sense. Ruin does not want to destroy itself because the intents do not apply to the shards themselves. Autonomy would be about making others autonomous, even if the shard itself had to become dependent on something else.

Of course, it could still play the great godly game for the freedom of the many, just like Ruin could create to destroy. But like Ruin only created destructive things, Autonomy probably can only manipulate people by putting them against perceived opressors.

Edited by CognitivePulsePattern

That does not make much sense. Ruin does not want to destroy itself because the intents do not apply to the shards themselves. Authonomy would be about making others autonomous, even if the shard itself had yo become dependent on something else.

Of course, it could still play the great godly game for the freedom of the many, just like Ruin could create to destroy. But like Ruin only created destructive things, Authonomy probably can only manipulate people by putting them against perceived opressors.

You just . . . agreed with my point, basically.

Maybe with your final point, but not with the exemple used. Ruin not being self-destructive had no bearing on that point.

I think that we know to little about how Bavadin himself sees his shard to be thinking about this. He could see autonomy as wanting everyone to be autonomous, or he could perceive his shards intent as wanting to bring about autonomy in other by any means necessary. We just don't know yet. I however, think that he sees his shard as the latter, based on the hints provided in SoS.

That does not make much sense. Ruin does not want to destroy itself because the intents do not apply to the shards themselves. Autonomy would be about making others autonomous, even if the shard itself had to become dependent on something else.

Of course, it could still play the great godly game for the freedom of the many, just like Ruin could create to destroy. But like Ruin only created destructive things, Autonomy probably can only manipulate people by putting them against perceived opressors.

The intents apply to the shards at least a little- see Odium wanting to be hated, for instance. Ruin was an Avatar of Ruin- and probably wanted people to see him that way, which is as far as his intent applying to him went.

Likewise, Autonomy would want to be seen to be ending paternalism, interference, slavery, and unjust rule over others. (He is probably okay with power structures that are sufficiently opt-in, as that would be an autonomous choice. But things like kingdoms would not sit well with his Intent) That could very easily bring him into conflict with any Shard who is guiding their world a little too actively, not just Dominion.

Edited by Ari

The intents apply to the shards at least a little- see Odium wanting to be hated, for instance. Ruin was an Avatar of Ruin- and probably wanted people to see him that way, which is as far as his intent applying to him went.

The thing is, that is not the intents applying to the shards themselves. That is the shards acting on their intents. Odium hates everyone else and wants people to hate one another. Ruin wants to... well, ruin. Autonomy could want to be autonomous itself, but it also wants to bring autonomy to others.

And again I agree with someones cinclusions but not their exemples.

At least that was what I remember me wanting the point to be. Posting at 2 past midnight probably wasn't the smartest move :ph34r:

Yeah, Ruin was a poor example. Honor works better. Autonomy is closer to an ideology than a phenomenon in some ways. Getting 10 people to honorably doom themselves to eternal torture is something you'd think would be going against every honorable principles out there.

At least that was what I remember me wanting the point to be. Posting at 2 past midnight probably wasn't the smartest move :ph34r:

Yeah, Ruin was a poor example. Honor works better. Autonomy is closer to an ideology than a phenomenon in some ways. Getting 10 people to honorably doom themselves to eternal torture is something you'd think would be going against every honorable principles out there.

A lot of the shards are closer to ideologies than end-goals. Arguably Preservation, Ruin and Odium are all pragmatic. But Intents like Dominion, Autonomy, Honour... those are definitely the "journey before destination" types who might care more about how things are done than what you're doing. It's like Adonalsium is holding one very unorganised election, and there are sixteen active political parties. ;)