[Spoilers] Elantris Anniversary Reactions

Chaos

About the Ars Arcanum

Vax should be a new planet. The best guess is that it is where Dark One takes place.

About the bonus stuff

That Hoid chapter is really a big surprise, just like an Easter egg appearing at the end of a movie! It's amazing that he talks with a skaze XD

Agreed, Vax must be a planet (despite what this thread thinks http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/46195-new-hoid-scene-ars-arcanum-elantris-10th-anniversary/#entry337112). It is mentioned in the same breath as Taldain, another Shardworld.

Another factor to Vax being a planet is that I asked what series Vax was associated with, directly with the understanding it was a Shardworld. If Brandon wanted to keep the mystery he could say "Why do you think it is a Shardworld ;)" (yes, he says those emoticons). He didn't. I am certain it is a planet.

It may or may not be Dark One, though. He wouldn't even tell me if it is one of the ten core worlds, of which there are still some unknown ones.

I bought an ebook of elantris that was supposed to be the updated version but alas was not... sigh.

That situation depends entirely upon whether you think Amazon is being greedy or merely stupid. If greedy: They intentionally pasted the new cover over the old book to get you to spend more money. If stupid: They neglected to follow the directions regarding the new file. There's a whole thread of people who share your situation, but I can't link it because phone.

I think people are confusing Taldain and Tanavast

(the guy with the diagram....jk that's Taravangian).

Too many Ts!

Oh now I understand the post thinking they uncovered Cultivation's name. 

Basic context dictates that Vax is definitely a planet, by the way. It says "on Taldain and Vax."

Wait, I'm confused, is the general text of the book updated/changed? I thought it was just bonus material (but I'm really out of date on my Sanderson stuff these days...). I bought the new edition but didn't plan on rereading the book itself.

I don't think so but I haven't done a reread. There are four new main things:

1. Updated (and accurate) maps

2. An Ars Arcanum (which was missing from the first)

3. Deleted scenes from Elantris

4. A bonus scene both related to Elantris (and the Cosmere).

There are corrections within the text. He talks about on his blog: http://brandonsanderson.com/elantris-tenth-anniversary-edition/

As for the changes, we went through the book with a fine-tooth comb, and gave it a copyedit more along the lines of what we do these days, fixing many small grammatical and continuity errors. There are no substantive changes, however, unless you count things like moving a building from one side of the city to the other in order to make distances and scale work for the visuals.

So I really need to know the context of that Hoid scene, like now.  Why did Hoid think he was going to become an Elantrian, why is he working with a skaze, what exactly was he supposed to be doing for them?!?  (Also: oooh skaze)

So many pretty, pretty new Aons.  Seriously I love these symbols.  Though I am a little frustrated that the proportions were subtly changed 'cause now it's going to be much harder to recreate them for the wiki.  But new Aons!  YAY!  (And I may or may not have spent so long looking at them that Chaos yelled at me and told me to go and read the Ars Arcanum already...)

The Ars Arcanum is really interesting, there's some information on the history of the Aons, and Aonic linguistics which is fun.  Some new terms like "Initiation"  which is a great term that we really needed, plus the interesting tidbits in that section.  What does "a specific Shard's Decision" supposed to mean anyway?

Also Vax.  My first thought was this has to be the electricity-themed Dark One world, though I believe Chaos pointed out that it could be the setting of Skyward as well.

So I really need to know the context of that Hoid scene, like now.  Why did Hoid think he was going to become an Elantrian, why is he working with a skaze, what exactly was he supposed to be doing for them?!?  (Also: oooh skaze)

So many pretty, pretty new Aons.  Seriously I love these symbols.  Though I am a little frustrated that the proportions were subtly changed 'cause now it's going to be much harder to recreate them for the wiki.  But new Aons!  YAY!  (And I may or may not have spent so long looking at them that Chaos yelled at me and told me to go and read the Ars Arcanum already...)

The Ars Arcanum is really interesting, there's some information on the history of the Aons, and Aonic linguistics which is fun.  Some new terms like "Initiation"  which is a great term that we really needed, plus the interesting tidbits in that section.  What does "a specific Shard's Decision" supposed to mean anyway?

Also Vax.  My first thought was this has to be the electricity-themed Dark One world, though I believe Chaos pointed out that it could be the setting of Skyward as well.

WW, what is this Dark One and Skyward i've seen mention of, any links?

Skyward is a YA cosmere story that Brandon mentioned in the 2013 State of the Sanderson.  We really don't know anything about it.

Dark One is also a YA cosmere story, the Coppermind has an article about it, but basically it's the story of the person destined to destroy their world.

Skyward is a YA cosmere story that Brandon mentioned in the 2013 State of the Sanderson.  We really don't know anything about it.

Dark One is also a YA cosmere story, the Coppermind has an article about it, but basically it's the story of the person destined to destroy their world.

Hmm, thanks. I'd go with Dark One most likely

In addition to this, I'm very curious as to why the Skaze are so organized? Seons seem completely individual, loners if you will, but that section seemed to imply that the Skaze aren't. 

Maybe a Shard's Decision is the in-world term for our Principle of Intent? Though the Decision sounds more on purpose than the Intent is. 

I'll swing by the bookstore tomorrow to see the context.

Also, it's very very interesting to me to see that Hoid seems to have some measure of belief in the God Beyond.

I'd say the Shard's Decision is exactly what it sounds like. The Shard decides who gets to be a magic user.

Warbreaker Spoilers

In Endowment's case, she decides who gets to Return.

Also, I think the skaze run a lot of stuff in the Fjordell Empire behind the scenes. They certainly advised Dilaf on Elantrian at least. I've always felt that they are more politically minded.

In addition to this, I'm very curious as to why the Skaze are so organized? Seons seem completely individual, loners if you will, but that section seemed to imply that the Skaze aren't. 

My guess is that's because Seons are Splinters of Devotion (they are utterly devoted to their owner, which a young Raoden confuses with slavery) while Skaze are Splinters of Dominion (and therefore seek sovereignty/control, which would unite them together).

The Hoid scene is a totally separate little scene at the very end of the book, past the Ars Arcanum and everything. I'm not going to type it up or copy and paste because I think it's one of the selling points of the book, and I don't feel comfortable doing that. Bookstores will probably have it, you don't even have to buy the book. It's quite short, two pages long at most, but probably closer to one and a half.

How long is the Hoid scene? Any possible chance of someone typing the scene for those of us who don't have the new Elantris copy, or uploading the pages, or something similar? I could probably procure a .pdf but that requires effort.

I don't think this should happen.  For now let it be an exclusive to the Anniversary Edition, if you want it either buy it or go to a bookstore and read it on the shelf (it's only a couple pages long).  Perhaps in a year or few Brandon may post it on his website like he did with The Eleventh Metal but that is his prerogative.

Also the ebook version should be fully updated, no matter the source, and Kindle at least will auto-update the book if you bought it before the rerelease was, um, released.  

As for the actual additional content:

It's funny, the Hoid scene read much more like an MCU stinger than anything else.  Hoid, talking with a skaze about the failure of his Shaod experiment, then swan-diving into the Shardpool?  Enticing, to be sure, but not as meaty as we might like.  The Ars Arcanum, on the other hand... That was interesting, especially for someone such as myself that considers themselves cosmere-aware.  I could expound at length on what we've been given there, but I don't want to waste people's time with things they presumably have already recognized.