Hello board,

First off Moderators if this is in the wrong place I'm sorry but this seemed the most appropriate place to ask.

So I'm working through making a bridgeman costume and was having some trouble with the leather vests. At first I figured they might lace or tie down the front, but two references from WOK have thrown that out.

1. Before going to the honor chasm Kaladin is mentioned lifting the vest over his head

( maybe this just seems weird to me, but a vest implies that the open seam is at the front, and lifting off a garment that way is rather awkward, is it maybe that the seems are down the sides more like armor?)

2. Later he mentions oiling not only the leather but also the buckles...

(again it strikes me as strange that bridgeman have buckles, seems a little over classed for them)

I guess what I'm trying to say is, anyone have a better idea of what these vests may have looked like/ how they are closed because I am having a time wrapping my head around it.

Thanks again

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, first off thanks to both of you for those suggestions :-) 

As far as the rigidity of the shoulders, I'd already been leaning towards making the additions out of a thicker and heavier leather, and the life jacket reference is neat because they also buckle in the front.

I also like the look of the laser tag vests, they are much more in line with what I had imagined the leather spearman turned parshendi corpse armor might be built like.

When you guys read the books, how long did you imagine the vests being? I flip flop between longer (more mid thigh) and shorter (just below the belly at the natural waist.