Nethseäar

Foreshadowing in Era 1 (SPOILERS)

5 posts in this topic

I just started a re-read of The Final Empire, and FORESHADOWING. I mean, everywhere.

So, I thought it would be fun to make a thread about the various hints I'm finally picking up on. I haven't seen anything similar in searches; hopefully I'm not missing anything. Basically this will demonstrate how blind I was to foreshadowing on the first read-through.

I will only include long-arc foreshadowing, I think, perhaps with a few exceptions. Though, I'll note that names of significance were dropped much earlier than I thought -- Kelsier references Lord Renoux in the prologue, for instance.

Henceforth there shall be spoilers for The Final Empire, The Well of Ascension, and The Hero of Ages. I'll be re-reading the whole trilogy, and intend to update the original post as I go. References to page numbers are for the paperback editions, and as there will be a section for each book, unspecified page numbers are for the book of the section they're in.

Mistborn: The Final Empire

Page 1, Epigraph to the Prologue:
They say I will hold the future of the entire world on my arms.

In reference to Sazed's copperminds, which contain the knowledge to restore Scadrial to its pre-Lord Ruler state. The end was foreshadowed from the very beginning! Vaguely, of course, but wow.

Page 29, Chapter 2:
If all went well, there would come a time when Kelsier would want to be seen and recognized.

In reference to Kelsier's plans to set himself up as a religious figure. No part of the plan he tells the others would call for widespread public recognition.

Page 32, Chapter 2:
Sometimes, Kelsier felt that a skaa Misting's life wasn't so much about surviving as it was about picking the right time to die.

In reference to Kelsier sacrificing himself to set up the skaa revolution/a religion.

Page 48, Chapter 3:
In her mind, she thought she heard a voice whispering to her. Reen's voice.

In reference to Ruin's influence over Vin. Note that just 2 pages prior (page 46) Vin put her earring in. Reen has shown up beforehand, but never with reference to an actual voice.

Page 65, Chapter 4:
"The mistwraiths are out there. They'll grab a man and take his face, sure as the Lord Ruler."

In reference to Kandra and their abilities. Cleverly mixed in with other absurd statements.

Page 77, Chapter 4:
"And the koloss?" Ham asked quietly.
Kelsier paused. "If he marches those creatures on his own capital city, the destruction it would cause could be even more dangerous than financial instability. In the chaos, the provincial noblemen will rebel and set themselves up as kings [...]"

In reference to half the plot of The Well of Ascension. Of course, the situation is different, since the Lord Ruler is dead, but that's basically the situation: Provincial kingdoms and koloss attacking Luthadel.

Page 85, Chapter 5:
Yet, overthrowing the Final Empire? They'd sooner stop the mists from flowing or the sun from rising.

Oudeis, on 01 Oct 2015 - 12:39 PM, said:

...Both things she, of course, eventually does.

Page 92, Chapter 5:
As he stood, the mists curled slightly around his body. They twisted and spun, running in a slight, barely noticeable current beside him. The mists knew him; they claimed him. They could sense Allomancy

In reference to the mists being Preservation's power, and able to power Vin's Allomancy at the end of The Final Empire.

Page 92, Chapter 5:
And you can't change how much you weigh -- you're an Allomancer, not some northern mystic.

In reference to Feruchemy

Page 104, Epigraph to Chapter 6:
I can feel our goal now, can sense it, though the others cannot. It . . . pulses, in my mind, far off in the mountains.

In reference to the Well of Ascension giving off Allomantic pulses when it is full.

Edited by Nethseäar

Yeah Era 1 has a ton of foreshadowing, it's because Brandon was still early in his career so Tor would wait a few years before him submitting a book and releasing it.  As a result he was able to write the entire trilogy and rewrite a lot of it before TFE was released.

Page 1, Epigraph to the Prologue:

They say I will hold the future of the entire world on my arms.

In reference to Sazed's copperminds, which contain the knowledge to restore Scadrial to its pre-Lord Ruler state. The end was foreshadowed from the very beginning! Vaguely, of course, but wow.

Yeah, Brandon seems to have been proud of himself for that one. ;)

Source:

Somewhere in the italicized pre-chapter blurb of the prologue here is the clue one needs to figure out the over-arching mystery of the entire series. If you figure it out, good for you! If you don’t, you’ll have to wait until the last chapter of the final book to get it explained. . . .

Edited by Kurkistan

I'll try to get an exact quote next time I'm at my home computer (which might be in a few days...)

When Vin first hears about the plan to overthrow the Lord Ruler, she thinks to herself, you might as well promise to turn day into night, or remove the mists from the sky!

Yeah Era 1 has a ton of foreshadowing, it's because Brandon was still early in his career so Tor would wait a few years before him submitting a book and releasing it.  As a result he was able to write the entire trilogy and rewrite a lot of it before TFE was released.

A fact for which I am grateful; such an incredible ending!

Yeah, Brandon seems to have been proud of himself for that one.  ;)

Source:

I'm proud of him for it. XD It's interesting what he points out in the Annotations; the mirroring situations and lines from The Final Empire in The Hero of Ages, and all.

I'll try to get an exact quote next time I'm at my home computer (which might be in a few days...)

When Vin first hears about the plan to overthrow the Lord Ruler, she thinks to herself, you might as well promise to turn day into night, or remove the mists from the sky!

I would totally have missed this! Thanks for pointing it out. I quoted you above, and found the reference (it's right where I'm at, presently).

Edited by Nethseäar