Diaemus Project - Maps and Cartography

Young Bard

For the main Diaemus Project thread, see here.

Greetings, residents of Diaemus. This is where you can come to select your lands to rule over (and later, where you'll tell me what empires, cities and land features you have in your allotted space).

This is the map of Diaemus, as created by Sir Jerric, and up to date as of 1 October 2015.

(Coming Soon!)

Now, because I have no sense of beauty whatsoever, I decided to scrawl right over the top of what Sir Jerric has done, crudely carving out the sections that people wanted for them.

This is the most up to date version of mine.

post-12805-0-48148600-1460631370_thumb.j

So, if you would like to claim a piece, this is the place to ask.

Edited by The Young Bard

47U0hWl.png

Can I claim these parts of the northern continent in the name of the Sorukaana, their human/Skitch slaves, the Haornithi, and any other cool ideas I come up with?

If that's too much, I can shrink it down a little, but since almost nobody's been claiming Northern continent stuff...

Let me know if you want any modifications of the base maps. I'm trying to concoct a black-and-white map that would do well for a under-layer of political, cities-and-roads cartography, but I'm having issues with the utter lack of landmarks (beyond the grid). I am also considering up-scaling techniques for cases of people wanting maps focused on their regions.

But, yeah. Any map-modifying type requests can be posted either here or in the main thread, or even sent directly to me via PM. I'm gathering notifications through all of the above channels.

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing as everyone seems to have more or less settled by now on what areas they want and not many people seem to be joining, I think I'll claim my area now.

@Sir Jerric: What would a subterranean Dwb / H area be like (besides cold... I've worked out that much). Specifically, what would it be like if you were living underground in a region like that? (By the way, I know it's a fairly specific question, so If your answer is "I have no idea", then that's fine. I'll just improvise a bit.)

Edited by TheYoungBard

I'm going to try creating my own as well, and I found this useful. It's Isaac Stewart (part of Team Sanderson) talking about how he got into map-making, and how he creates maps. (Only partially relevant to me in this case though, seeing as I'm creating a city map, not a world one.)

Edited by TheYoungBard

@Sir Jerric: What would a subterranean Dwb / H area be like (besides cold... I've worked out that much). Specifically, what would it be like if you were living underground in a region like that? (By the way, I know it's a fairly specific question, so If your answer is "I have no idea", then that's fine. I'll just improvise a bit.)

Climatic types are defined by average temperatures and precipitation.

Subterranian has no direct solar influence, eliminating the primary warming influence.

Subterranian has no solar-heated water bodies, removing the temperature "reservoirs" and humidity input.

Subterranian has no wind to stir the air masses.

Subterranian has no clouds to provide precipitation.

Thus, the surface climate has no significant impact on the subterranian climate in any given area.

However, given knowledge of what determines a climate, one can make creative substitutions.

Geothermal activity will provide almost all of your heating (chemical decay can also be a heating resource).

Undergound seas and lakes will become significant heat sinks.

Heated water bodies will create humid caverns.

Cooler stone above can provide ccondensation and ""precipitation".

Wind is created by differences in pressure. High altitude vents can create chimney "draws" that pull from low altitude vents.

Consider where the water table might be in the area, and if the layers of stone contacting your caverns are porous or not. An impermeable boundary layer may be necessary to prevent complete flooding. Also note that an impermeable floor may make a good basin.

A migrating or fluctuating water table could provide a measure of the seasons. It would also carve new caves during drainage.

In summary, my answer is "I don't know, but here are a bunch of tinker toys to build with." =)

• 1 month later...

Sir Jerric if it is possible do you have a map of the world without the grid and the numbers?

If not then i will try to remove them from a little bit of the map i am working on.

Edit: It is turning out to be a very easy task but if you have such a map please post it since mine is far less precise. Also i mean the green-white map

Edited by Ookla the Unfreezable