Why is TES "book 2" of Elantris??

Thealps

I love his writing, have read mistborn twice, and most of his other works once, and like 4x on wheel of time. And I enjoyed Elantris and TES, but really I feel gypped. Book 2 of something, in my mind, means its a continued story not just some completely different story in the same world... And a 170 page book (about 1/3 the length of Elantris) isnt a "book 2" either, book 2 again to my mind, connotes a second equal installment... Mr Sanderson, I love your creativity and stamina and skill, but this reeks of gouging your fans with an almost bait and switch feeling. I expected more from you

Just to clarify, TES is not Elantris 2. Brandon Likes to do different books between his huge series, and so he came up with an interesting magic system, and decided to put it on a part of Sel that we haven't seen before. TES is not related to Elantris in any way, other than being on the same world, and possibly introducing the magic system for later books on that world. But mainly, this was a project that Brandon wanted to do to take a break from other books that he enjoyed writing, and published. Brandon is an author that writes because he enjoys writing, not for money or fame, so the bait-and-switch won't be a tactic that he would use.

P.S. I do notice that this is your first post, so Welcome to the Shard! I hope you enjoy your stay.

Well you guys need to contact Kindle, which lists it on amazon and at the end of reading Elantris as "book 2". I bought it after reading Elantris and got the popup ad in my kindle app on iphone for tes - elantris book 2. I was reticent to spend 5 bucks on 170 pages, but i was saturated with the rich characters and plot of elantris and so i bought tes expecting some continued (albeit short) story around Elantris. I know its got to be tough marketing all the menagerie of brilliant ideas coming from mr sanderson, but i do feel misguided. Anyway, tes is a good read, and while i dont buy novellas (as they reek of readers digest comic books) I am happy I read this one :)

Well you guys need to contact Kindle, which lists it on amazon and at the end of reading Elantris as "book 2". I bought it after reading Elantris and got the popup ad in my kindle app on iphone for tes - elantris book 2.

Yeah, that is super misleading. It is set on Sel but is a very short, elegant work, and is not really the standard epic fantasy scope of Brandon's adult works.

I'm very sad this happened to you. Emperor's Soul is phenomenal, but the way you like a story has a lot to do with expectations. If you expect the Era 2 Mistborn books to have that huge epic scope, you're always going to be upset that they are smaller thrillers.

The real sequel to Elantris, that has characters that were in the first one, will come eventually. Apparently, before the Era 3 Mistborn books (the modern ones). But that will probably be after SA5.

I'm sorry that hurt your expectations and opinion of the book. I'd be pissed too. But I am more sad that you won't think that TES is as awesome as I do. I love that book. I think it's a highlight of Brandon's writing.

This situation seems quite similar to what might have happened if AoL was the 4th book in Era 2 Mistborn rather than the first. For those of you that have not read Mistborn, first of all I recommend that you immediately leave the job or school you are already neglecting, go to your nearest bookstore, and order a copy of The Final Empire. It's worth it. Second of all, AoL was a short story turned novel, and it shows. It is of course a great read, as are all the Sandersonian novels, but it is a very singular story line, lacking some of the story depth present in other Cosmere books. I'm sorry this is turning into a book report, I'll get back on track. Anyways, the difference is that AoL had to be expanded in order to introduce Era 2 Mistborn, while TES is simply a stand-alone novella. 

Which you will need to hire the worlds longest truck to deliver :P

Let's be fair here - "the world's longest truck" comprises quite a bit of space.  I'd be deeply impressed if Brandon's collected Cosmere literature, from Elantris all the way to whatever ends the saga, each and every volume jam-packed with all the bells, whistles, and gimmicks he signs off on,  fills a U-Haul.  (Hell, I'm already deeply impressed by the length, breadth, and depth of the stuff he's already written.)

• 4 weeks later...

It's a graph that I made a few months ago so technically it is a repost - of my own post. If anybody with graphics design experience wants the original Visio file, I'd be glad to send it to them so they can pretty-it-up.

Oh, no no no. I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't pretty. It's very simple and organized. My only passing comment was meant about updating or adding in the couple of one-off standalones that we know the (working) names of but it's likely best to leave it as it is. It's fine. Good graph, man.