Shadows of Self Chapter 6

Windrunner

Oh wow that's a doozy of a chapter.

I do wonder if there's a continuity there.  It's mentioned that Sazed didn't include any mention of Hemalurgy in the Words of Founding, but weren't the HoA epigraphs supposed to be excerpts from the Words?  Hemalurgy is definitely mentioned in the epigraphs.

Perhaps the epigraphs are different from the Words of Founding and Saze just left both.

Love this gem from Wayne:

“You didn’t promise to kill me,” Wayne said, pulling on his socks. “You promised to have killed me. That there be the present perfect tense.”

As an amateur linguist/Latin teacher, that's hilarious.

Also, Hemalurgy strikes. I still think it's a Kandra, likely Bloody Tan. Given that Kandra can manipulate their bindpoints wherever they want, it seems to easy for one not to use Hemalurgy.

When did Sanderson say the thing about no one knowing how to spike Kandra?

Oh wow that's a doozy of a chapter.

I do wonder if there's a continuity there. It's mentioned that Sazed didn't include any mention of Hemalurgy in the Words of Founding, but weren't the HoA epigraphs supposed to be excerpts from the Words? Hemalurgy is definitely mentioned in the epigraphs.

Maybe the first document addressed to Spook that had "I am, unfortunately, the Hero of Ages" in it was the epigraph and more of a personal message, while the other pile of books in the grass was the publicly known Words of Founding?

Back in chapter 4 some of the dead criminals appeared to have been killed by "a knife in the back." Could hemalurgic spiking have been mistaken for that? I have in mind that it would have been messier than a stab wound, especially given the way Idashwy was described, but the targeting of those individuals seemed more important than the characters credited it.

I believe that might be Spook's idea. Says in AoL that while Harmony drew up the plans, the Lord Mistborn was the one who named Elendel. He might be responsible for the rest of the conspicuous names. Chapter 10, I think.

Speaking of Spook, I see he decided to go back to being Lestibournes for official purposes. Lord Spook would be too hard to take seriously.

Edited by natc

I guess he needed "Lestibournes" as housename, or? "Lord Mistborn" for sure is an honorific.

I believe that might be Spook's idea. Says in AoL that while Harmony drew up the plans, the Lord Mistborn was the one who named Elendel. He might be responsible for the rest of the conspicuous names. Chapter 10, I think.

Speaking of Spook, I see he decided to go back to being Lestibournes for official purposes. Lord Spook would be too hard to take seriously.

I guess he needed "Lestibournes" as housename, or? "Lord Mistborn" for sure is an honorific.

The thing is, I could've sworn that wasn't his real name either. It comes from street slang for "I've been abandoned". Coppermind is saying that his real name is Jedal, like his father. He just hates it enough to rather live as that abandoned kid.

And yeah, that's what I meant. Spook doesn't work as a noble's name. But with the number of people apparently in his line and him apparently having a lot of kids, did he even have a single house?

Huh, the thick plottens.

I want to find out what the deal is with Bloody Tan. No combination of Metallic Arts would allow him to survive Wax killing him in the prologue of The Alloy of Law, but he would have to be some kind of Metalborn to know to move Lessie. What's our current stance on kandra with Hemalurgic spikes?

Remember the earrings that the followers of Harmony put in when they pray? I'm pretty sure that it has a slight Hemalurgic charge that allows Harmony to communicate with them.

Wax has his earring, so the question is, was he wearing his Hemalurgic earring when he saw Bloody Tan? Perhaps someone is hijacking Harmony's Earrings and making Wax see things like Ruin did to Vin.

Edited by Baine

An excellent thought: here I was thinking of how you'd have to do some shenanigans to get your potential targets spiked, but every Pathian is already going to be spiking themselves every time they pray, giving them the Flaw and opening themselves to influence.

From the way Wax and Wayne discuss Idashwy's body they are placing her time of death before the killings :“The killer used a spike to steal Idashwy’s Feruchemical talent, then employed that ability to kill Lord Winsting and his guests."

However, From chapter 1 " Aren’t you frightened, Winsting?”... He didn’t recognize her. Slender, with short golden hair and a doe-eyed expression, she was uncommonly tall. As someone else stated that her body was not digested, therefore, she had to commit the killings (or at least some of them, perhaps she thought she was exacting revenge for her brother's death and unwittingly provided someone with information about her abilities) and that someone, broke into her home and Spiked her.

Wax saw Bloody Tan just before they got the tip to Idashwy’s location, this is the secondtime he has seen him. I remember in HoA that people who are on the edge of sanity are easier for Ruin to gain control over. Even if there is another force that is tapping into the magic of Hemalurgy, it would stand to reason that the magic itself would follow most of the same rules that it did in the pre-Catacendric world. Which would have made Tan an

easy target, so perhaps he had been spiked prior to AoL, and had an atium Spike (is that a thing? is that stuff still around?) which could explain how he knew where to move Lesie. If he has a Gold spike he could easily heal himself from the bullet to the head.

Sorry, getting long and making a lot of assumptions, I will stop...for now.

Love this gem from Wayne:

“You didn’t promise to kill me,” Wayne said, pulling on his socks. “You promised to have killed me. That there be the present perfect tense.”

As an amateur linguist/Latin teacher, that's hilarious.

Also technically it's really a perfect infinitive. But it's easy to see how Wayne mixes that up. ;)

I realize that this is extremely unlikely, but maybe someone is gathering Hemalurgic spikes for the Southern Scadrians.

Well apparently Marsh has been gallivanting about down South for the last while, so him coming back and suddenly deciding that Wax needs to know about Hemalurgy certainly seems suggestive.

From the way Wax and Wayne discuss Idashwy's body they are placing her time of death before the killings :“The killer used a spike to steal Idashwy’s Feruchemical talent, then employed that ability to kill Lord Winsting and his guests."

However, From chapter 1 " Aren’t you frightened, Winsting?”... He didn’t recognize her. Slender, with short golden hair and a doe-eyed expression, she was uncommonly tall. As someone else stated that her body was not digested, therefore, she had to commit the killings (or at least some of them, perhaps she thought she was exacting revenge for her brother's death and unwittingly provided someone with information about her abilities) and that someone, broke into her home and Spiked her.

Wax saw Bloody Tan just before they got the tip to Idashwy’s location, this is the secondtime he has seen him. I remember in HoA that people who are on the edge of sanity are easier for Ruin to gain control over. Even if there is another force that is tapping into the magic of Hemalurgy, it would stand to reason that the magic itself would follow most of the same rules that it did in the pre-Catacendric world. Which would have made Tan an

easy target, so perhaps he had been spiked prior to AoL, and had an atium Spike (is that a thing? is that stuff still around?) which could explain how he knew where to move Lesie. If he has a Gold spike he could easily heal himself from the bullet to the head.

Sorry, getting long and making a lot of assumptions, I will stop...for now.

I think that Wax was making faulty assumptions based on the fact that he doesn't believe (or want to believe) that a Terriswoman like Idashwy would have been involved.  Had she been killed before the massacre; well, let's just say that there would be obvious signs of decomposition by the time the boys found her.

Well apparently Marsh has been gallivanting about down South for the last while, so him coming back and suddenly deciding that Wax needs to know about Hemalurgy certainly seems suggestive.

That interview is crazy and I can't believe I'd never seen it before today. So much cool stuff in that short interview.

I must admit, I skipped over the second page due to time constraints, so pardon me if this point has been brought up before.

Technically, Sazed has been holding Harmony for 341 years now. So by now, it's really starting to influence his decisions. I'm beginning to wonder now whether his Shard is beginning to act more like "Harmony", a.k.a. whenever he does something aligned with Preservation's way of thinking, he's then forced to do something similar for Ruin's way of thinking. This would explain why he tries not to intervene very much, as it would cause Sazed to act in a manner which he disagrees with. (I'm trying to work out whether it's worth putting up a theory page for it, seeing as it will either be confirmed or debunked in 6 days anyway.

Hemalurgy and Cosmere stuff aside, how about the industrial revolution themes in this chapter? Harmony tried to create a place where everyone could be safe, where soil would always be fertile and food plentiful, and this prompted rapid technological advancement. Now, workers are becoming obsolete and food prices are skyrocketing.

And now that Harmony is feeling the Intent of the Shard more fully, he can barely intervene in a society which has advanced faster than the people can keep up. Attempting to make a better world for humanity has created a new set of problems. Interesting, and relevant with all the increasing automation and self-driving cars and stuff we have on our horizon.

Edited by Tellingdwar

I don't know if Harmony's role in this new Scadrial is what caused the problems we see in the series so far. I think it's just a natural response of a society that's undergoing significant changes. I am a poor student of history, but I expect we can see similar effects around the time of our own industrial revolution.