The broken city in the clouds [Group project]

Alfa

Maybe the different types of clouds grant different powers, and that's how Arem gets his powers in my little story. Maybe abusing the powers that have been granted can lead to loss of power, while using them correctly leads to power increase and increased efficiency with clouds. Basically, the source of power can be any clouds, but they get power from the statues.

How about this.

Cloud magic itself doesn't require statues, but the statues can grant increased mastery to Cloudsmiths. The statues also create different kinds of clouds with different effects. Using these clouds causes you to become more attuned to the ideal. So someone using love begins falling in love or somesuch. The aspect of powers becoming more powerful if you use them correctly Stormgate mentioned can be atributed to the statues simply giving more power to those who focus on their ideal.

Let's talk about Cloud Magic.

We have seen two things that can be accomplished with it:
1) Freezing people in motion. (Wisdom-associated?)

2) Making people feel, what they do to others (I'll call that "Compassion") (Justice-associated?)

I think the energy for it comes out of the clouds (probably you inhale them?), and can be granted by the statues. Also, one person can be granted the powers of more than on one statue.

Let's say each statue can give a given set of abilities, which can be or can be not shared between any amount of statues.

Healing, for example, shall be associated with Love and/or Hope and/or Wisdom.

Ooh, ooh I got an idea.

How about each statue having 3 powers? One body based(the two seen so far), one emotion based, and one cloud construct based. And one aditional for each pair. I got another Wisdom power.

Sight- allows you to see through clouds.

Edit:aaaaaaaand ninja'd by three posts

Edited by ChickenPlague

Okay. Justice makes you feel guilty, Wisdom makes you more practical. Do you have any ideas for cloud constructs? I got nothing.

I meant simply cloud based. So the see-through one is wosdoms cloud power. Justice could allow you to lower the temperature of clouds.Edit: actually could allow you to make constructs that have weight but are far harder. This is more about justice since justice is about laws for example the law of gravity.

Edit number 2:What level of tecnology is this city supposed to have? I thought medieval but someone wrote spraypaint so I am confused.

Edited by ChickenPlague

Okay, random brainstorming about powers:

Body-based:
Healing, Pain-creating, Enstrength, Compassion (as in the story, or is this mental?), Invulnerability, Weight-changing, Shapeshifting, Teleportation...

Mental based:

Mental speed, Telepathy, Emotion manipulation, Compassion (probably it belongs here), Mental healing, Prophecy...

Cloud based:

Sight through clouds (but why? Is there anything outside the city?), Flying (Probably freedom, but not Anarchy), Cloud hardening, Temperature changing, Windcalling, Water out of clouds...

And yes, 50% are stolen from Brandon.

Courage powers

Emotional- Bravecall- makes people more determined.

Body- Powerlink- allows you to link the strength of bodies together. Anyone can freely tap the strength if connected.

Clouds:

Active- Explosion- pushes ALL nearby clouds away from you.

Passive- Roughing- allows you to make your constructs sticky.(not like honey but more rough)

Cloud appearance- light orange/light brown

Edit: Active power added after writing story about James. James' encounter no longer cannon.

Edited by ChickenPlague

Okay, random brainstorming about powers:

Body-based:

Healing, Pain-creating, Enstrength, Compassion (as in the story, or is this mental?), Invulnerability, Weight-changing, Shapeshifting, Teleportation...

Mental based:

Mental speed, Telepathy, Emotion manipulation, Compassion (probably it belongs here), Mental healing, Prophecy...

Cloud based:

Sight through clouds (but why? Is there anything outside the city?), Flying (Probably freedom, but not Anarchy), Cloud hardening, Temperature changing, Windcalling, Water out of clouds...

And yes, 50% are stolen from Brandon.

Ok so a couple things. Instead of body and mental I prefer body and emotional. Body might also include mental, but emotional would work by absorbing that kind of cloud giving that emotion. You can use this on others by pushing the cloud into them.

Seeing through clouds includes cloud constructs so you could see through them. I think that construct tools and houses would be common since they are quick to build and clouds are everywhere.

Also flying was intended to be useable through manipulating clouds around you to carry you.

The question is: How many people have cloudsmiths powers? In Stormgate's story it seemed not very common. Also, handle flying with care. The Wis/Just part is uninhabited.

Edited by Alfa

Ok so I might have given you the wrong idea of what I meant. Normal Cloudsmiths arise randomly (about one in a 100) and originally have a weak version of one of the three standard powers (cloud state changing, weight changing or cloud moving). Normal Cloudsmiths can ingest more clouds than they need to unlock the other powers.

However there are also the Ideal powers used by Cloudpriests. Both normal people and standard Cloudsmiths can become Cloudpriests, although the previous Cloudsmiths are more powerful. These CPriests are made by the angel statues. A person must be close to the statue when they're chosen. The statues also require these CPriests as the statues require both faith in their ideal and cloud power to survive. They get the cloud power from their CPriests. The CPriests must follow the ideals or the power will not reach their statue and the statue will take back it's powers.

So this is my idea of magic in this world explained horibly.