Mirroring Movements [spoilers?] (Some Questions)

Glaring at the Survivor

So, I was wondering a few things.

1) Does anyone know if, if you have a robotic arm or something (and assuming you had hundreds of thousands of Breaths) which would consist of many pieces, would you have to Awaken each piece, or the mechanical arm as a whole?

2) If the above answer is that the arm could be Awakened as a whole, would it be possible to Awaken a mechanical arm using the phrase "Mirror/Copy my right arm" or something, and doing the same with a set of legs and another arm, (again, you'd need a lot of Breaths) and then weld them together onto a core, to make some sort of robot that mirrors your movements?

3) If the above answer is yes, then would it be possible that if a modern-day version of Warbreaker was made, instead of electricity inanimate objects would be run on Breaths? I mean... you'd be using the Breaths of hundreds of generations... but would it be possible?

1) Does anyone know if, if you have a robotic arm or something (and assuming you had hundreds of thousands of Breaths) which would consist of many pieces, would you have to Awaken each piece, or the mechanical arm as a whole?

I think it would depend on whether the cognitive aspect of the arm "sees" itself as a single object or many pieces.  I would say yes, when someone awakens a tapestry they don't have to awaken each individual thread so I think it work the same way here.

2) If the above answer is that the arm could be Awakened as a whole, would it be possible to Awaken a mechanical arm using the phrase "Mirror/Copy my right arm" or something, and doing the same with a set of legs and another arm, (again, you'd need a lot of Breaths) and then weld them together onto a core, to make some sort of robot that mirrors your movements?

3) If the above answer is yes, then would it be possible that if a modern-day version of Warbreaker was made, instead of electricity inanimate objects would be run on Breaths? I mean... you'd be using the Breaths of hundreds of generations... but would it be possible?

2) Maybe. Vasher does some really interesting thing with his own Awakened clothing ("become my fingers and grab that which I must" is pretty darn sophisticated). If you can make a few tassels mirror your fingers' movements - intelligently too, so they don't just mirror you one-to-one but attempt to grab things - then surely you can Awaken a robotic arm (or leg) to mirror your entire arm. So yes, I believe you can make an Awakened robot this way. But wouldn't you build the robot first, and then Awaken it with the "fight for me as if you were me" Command (which Vasher uses on a couple of sets of shirts + pants)?

3) Maybe, again. It would create a really interesting world. At first I was skeptical, because I thought you'd run into issues where people would Awaken their household items, but wouldn't be able to recover all of them before their death, ultimately wasting Breaths on technology that would become outdated in a several decades, potentially. But no, if technology moves quickly enough, you would Awaken, say, a car and then retrieve your Breath after only a few years. Or even reAwaken it every so often. The real question is, how advanced of a technology can you create using Breaths and Commands? I can't see anyone creating Awakening a computer, for example. 

Edited by firstRainbowRose
Watch the language, please!

But wouldn't you build the robot first, and then Awaken it with the "fight for me as if you were me" Command (which Vasher uses on a couple of sets of shirts + pants)?

The real question is, how advanced of a technology can you create using Breaths and Commands? I can't see anyone creating Awakening a computer, for example.

I was thinking some other uses. Although I do suppose you could just give the being as a whole a command, or as a "move how I move" command or something at the expense of less Breaths. Huh. Idk.

Good point.

All else being equal, more humanoid objects are easier to Awaken.

I'd expect this sort of thing to always remain relegated to short-term tactical use or artistic/scientific curiosities, though. They'd be really breath-intensive to set up and not terribly flexible. Let's say you wanted to make one for a factory. At a minimum, you would want to be able to tell it to become inert when the operator is done for the day, and probably you'd want to switch who is controlling it so you can have multiple shifts. You might also want to only allow authorized personnel to use it, but then again modern bulldozers don't have any usage controls. Still, you need at least two conditional statements. You could withdraw the Breath at the end of each shift, but Vasher's Commands are actually rather difficult and very few people would be able to use them. Furthermore, transferring Breath in sub-units is a rather complex and time-consuming process requiring multiple Commands, and finally enough Breath to activate an industrial robot would be valuable, portable, and untraceable, thus tempting workers to walk out the door with it and never come back.

That said, they'd be pretty useful for a lot of research and rapid-prototyping applications by allowing people to assemble very small/large objects "by hand", so I would expect to see them around high-end labs.

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with everything name_here just said.

Also, I brought up once the idea of ancestral Awakened things, and someone told me we have WoB that Breaths used to Awaken aren't necessarily eternal; that if they bond to something that was never human (like a rope, however much it looks like a human) that it will eventually lose Breath until it powers down, and that things that aren't even organic (like metal and stone) shed Breath that much faster; Nightblood and Lifeless, obviously, being special cases.

So, could someone like Vasher possibly do it? Maybe. Will it become mainstream? Unlikely.

• 2 months later...

Nightblood requires hundreds of Breaths to operate. This is the only Awakened metal object we've encountered, so in all possibility, it could be the case for all stone and metal Awakened objects. If you think gas prices are bad, imagine having to give up thousands of breaths to drive a car.... Though it'd probably be -insanely- fast.

Also, who knows, people might come up with new commands to Awaken metal much more cheaply (Like with Lifeless). They also might figure out how to make the objects -not- drain their users like a tube of toothpaste under a steam-roller. We can only hope.

Edited by cris34b

echanical arm as a whole?

3?

Vash makles clothing fight like it is him taht is fhitng so it MAKES SENSE yes you can do it since you can do thigns less complicate

• 1 month later...

First off, that all sounds extraordinarily plausible, and second, is anyone else thinking that it would be really cool to do this to a suit of armor with the command "Do as I would"? It'd be a Breath-powered Iron Man!!

EDIT: Or, even better: "Protect things I would," and imagine him fighting people trying to kill you while you're inside, as well as people around you, and kinda helping out otherwise. And, assuming he'd be like Nightblood and obtain Sentience, you'd be able to explain to him what you'd protect. Slightly complicated, but definitely worth the Breath.

Edited by akasketch

It might be possible, but we are dealing with complex, though human shaped, metal objects (because they've never been alive). It would be easier to encase something organic (like bones) in a quasi-mechanical arm though and make use of Breathes that way... As WeiryWriter mentioned, one of the problems would be cognitive, and I think the easiest way to overcome that issue might be by making this kind of thing by encasing a skeletal arm in bones. It probably also would work for an Iron Man like suite, though that would still take a lot of breathes to accomplish...

Haven't read Emperor Soul (there are reasons for that), but while I guess it might be possible, that is kind of a different world's Investiture and magic system's do weird things when trying to fuel things that don't exactly belong (like forging).

It would work on Elantris' world, I think, but it might not work well on Nalthis, but yeah, not exactly an expert on forging things yet. :P

It might be possible, but we are dealing with complex, though human shaped, metal objects (because they've never been alive). It would be easier to encase something organic (like bones) in a quasi-mechanical arm though and make use of Breathes that way... As WeiryWriter mentioned, one of the problems would be cognitive, and I think the easiest way to overcome that issue might be by making this kind of thing by encasing a skeletal arm in bones. It probably also would work for an Iron Man like suite, though that would still take a lot of breathes to accomplish...

What if you attached a coat-body to the inside of the armor/robot casing? That way, you would have a Breath-powered suit that cost only as much as Vasher used when he Awakened the clothing to fight for him, but it would be twice as deadly.

The only drawback I see is that the suit wouldn't have a mind of its own, and thus would not be able to point things out to you that you wouldn't have noticed otherwise, as Nightblood did when prompting Vasher to use Kalad's Phantoms.

What if you attached a coat-body to the inside of the armor/robot casing? That way, you would have a Breath-powered suit that cost only as much as Vasher used when he Awakened the clothing to fight for him, but it would be twice as deadly.

The only drawback I see is that the suit wouldn't have a mind of its own, and thus would not be able to point things out to you that you wouldn't have noticed otherwise, as Nightblood did when prompting Vasher to use Kalad's Phantoms.

Yes, I've wondered though if you could enough breathe in a nonmetallic thing and make it a IV form or not. A bit like a Lifeless but...more advance, since I think the fourth form of BioChromatic being I'd something that wasn't alive... Anyway, perhaps this could be solved by making it a skeletal Lifeless...

Like the phantoms. Vasher said that they were of the old variate that does use ichor alcohol (at the end of the book...) So yeah, the solution is learn to make old fashion Lifeless with the old command and in case it in metal if we want something with half a wit (though not half a Hoid)... Or go your route, I guess.

Also since Lifeless intelligence seems based partially on the strength of the Command phrase used, I wonder if there's a way to make smarter Lifeless with more Breathe...maybe we could use one of those for our BioChromatic Iron Man suit. ;P

• 4 weeks later...

If you were at the 8th Height as Shashara was, and you Awakened a Lifeless using 10,000 breath, Like Nightblood was, Could you make a new Person?

Nightblood took a thousand Breaths to create, not 10,000 (I think, I'll look this up later). I honestly don't know, though. Can you make a person out of Investiture like that if you're not a Shard if you have enough?

Every Breath makes you more similar to Endowment, after holding enough you would presumably become the new Shardbearer. So yes, with enough Breaths you can theoraticly do everything Endowment does. The question is only how many Breaths you need and for that I have no clue.

• Chaos locked this topic