NEW INFO: Renarin's Spren

FeatherWriter

Hey, Marianmi, for future reference, it's considered common courtesy to edit posts instead of double posting. :)

What do you mean in your lactose-intolerant post? You say we cant consider lactose-intolerance an illness, but you also say we can. I'm confused as to what you mean.

I consider Adolin to be somewhat prideful and if Renarin was suddenly more powerful than him, I think he would be resentful. I think it's just more in his personality more than Renarin's.

And this:

Just a hunch. Probably mainly because he's irritating.

haha I totally agree, he has his shining moments but mostly, I'm not attracted to his character development. He's not near as bad as Sadeas, but not near as good as Renarin. Edited by Mailliw73

Hey, Marianmi, for future reference, it's considered common courtesy to edit posts instead of double posting. :)

Sorry, did not mean to be rude, the posts were about 2 different things, so it made sense to me to be disassociated.

What do you mean in your lactose-intolerant post? You say we cant consider lactose-intolerance an illness, but you also say we can. I'm confused as to what you mean.

I mean that people were all lactose-intolerant in the past. Some of them (especially in western europe) developed lactose-tolerance after domesticating cattle. So, even if you want to say lactose-intolerance is an illness, that would not be technically incorrect. Because that's the "normal" state of a human. So you can only use "lactose-tolerance" as an illness in the example above, since it deviates from "normal" behaviour.

I consider Adolin to be somewhat prideful and if Renarin was suddenly more powerful than him, I think he would be resentful. I think it's just more in his personality more than Renarin's.

I think Adolin has had a tremendous character development throughout WoK. We've seen him think about his actions and consequences, we've seen him obeying, we've seen him coming to peace with himself, we've seen him do the right thing. Nothing gave me the impression that this will change. And we've seen him having a great relationship with Renarin, and this makes me believe he would be actually happy about Renarin.

In addition, Adolin is great at fighting. If Renarin becomes a KR, he would not necessary be the one on the front lines, like Adolin. Szeth, with great knowledge about windrunner abilities, was practically defeated by Gavilar, and won by happenstance. Renarin being a KR and Adolin not would not mean that Renarin would become a great fighter overnight. He might never become one. He might be the support, the brains, the one with new ideas. This would complement Adolin, and they would make a powerful team together, on the battlefield and outside.

Edited by marianmi

Just saying, you can't consider lactose-intolerance as an illness because, by default, we are lactose-intolerant.

You can say lactose-tolerance is an illness.

*LOL

Edit. Wrong language term

Edited by Natans

Oh, I see, Marianmi, I read your post wrong, I didn't see lactose-tolerant in the second case, I misread it as lactose-intolerant.

It would complement each other, I'm just not sure how happy he would be that Renarin gets to one-up him at last. He does care about Renarin, I just think he's so used to being the better sibling that he would feel offended by it. It might not last, but I think Adolin would be hurt at first. He might not become an antihero, I just think it's much more likely for him than Renarin.

Edited by Mailliw73

It would complement each other, I'm just not sure how happy he would be that Renarin gets to one-up him at last. He does care about Renarin, I just think he's so used to being the better sibling that he would feel offended by it. It might not last, but I think Adolin would be hurt at first. He might not become an antihero, I just think it's much more likely for him than Renarin.

It looks to me like Adolin would be happy to have his brother fight by his side... And again, I don't think Renarin KR would be able to defeat Adolin full sharded. At least not until he gets all "leveled-up". And I don't see that happening very soon. In the meantime, I see Adolin becoming KR as well...

I don't think he would be able to defeat Adolin in full gear either, just that Adolin would be disappointed inside that his brother has more power than he does. I'm sure we've all felt that, when someone else gets something we wanted, no matter how much you love them, you feel that sadness inside, if only for a moment.

Given how much Adolin really cares about Renarin, I have serious doubts that Renarin gaining powers would be sufficient motivation for him to go dark. :/

Yep, I can't really see either of them being resentful of the other for becoming more awesome in any way. In the same way that we see Renarin trying to keep Adolin from letting his temper get the best of him...

“We should move back,” Renarin said.

“We are of rank enough to be here,” Adolin said.

“I don’t like how you get when you’re around Sadeas.”

--WoK, Ch. 12

“Adolin…” Renarin said warningly.

Adolin looked to the side. He’d held out his hand, as if to summon his Blade.

--WoK, Ch. 12

“Adolin!” Dalinar said. That was going too far. “Restrain yourself.”

Adolin clenched his jaw, hand to his side, as if itching to summon his Shardblade. Renarin stepped forward and gently placed a hand on Adolin’s arm. Reluctantly, Adolin backed down.

--WoK, Ch. 15

... we see Adolin being incredibly protective and defensive of Renarin. When Renarin's being hurt or threatened is when Adolin really loses his temper. In addition to this, we see that he holds Renarin's thoughts about him in very high regard and is actively looking out for him in just about everything he does.

Adolin forced himself to smile, however. He tried to be relaxed and confident for Renarin.

--WoK, Ch. 12

[sadeas talking about Renarin] "You saw how he ran out onto the field today. He even forgot to draw his sword or bow! He's useless!”  

Renarin flushed, looking down. Adolin snapped his head up. He thrust his hand to the side again, stepping forward toward Sadeas.

“Adolin!” Dalinar said. “I will handle this!”

Adolin looked at him, blue eyes alight with rage, but he did not summon his Blade."

--WoK, Ch. 15
He would make his relationship with her last, though. He was tired of Renarin teasing him for jumping in and out of courtships.
--WoK, Ch. 58

I mean, I barely went past the first few chapters to grab these quotes, except for the one I grabbed from the end. These two are like the perfect brothers and they're adorable and love each other and really I actually love both of them (but Adolin already has friends and is popular while Renarin just needs a lot of hugs, so Renarin gets a little bit more love from me.)

Adolin rested a hand on his brother’s shoulder, and Renarin smiled at him.

--WoK, Ch. 12

Come on. That is sickeningly adorable. Kholin brothers are still the best brothers.

Edited by FeatherWriter

Yep, I can't really see either of them being resentful of the other for becoming more awesome in any way. In the same way that we see Renarin trying to keep Adolin from letting his temper get the best of him...

... we see Adolin being incredibly protective and defensive of Renarin. When Renarin's being hurt or threatened is when Adolin really loses his temper. In addition to this, we see that he holds Renarin's thoughts about him in very high regard and is actively looking out for him in just about everything he does.

I mean, I barely went past the first few chapters to grab these quotes, except for the one I grabbed from the end. These two are like the perfect brothers and they're adorable and love each other and really I actually love both of them (but Adolin already has friends and is popular while Renarin just needs a lot of hugs, so Renarin gets a little bit more love from me.)

Come on. That is sickeningly adorable. Kholin brothers are still the best brothers.

WOW!

You must have all the Renarin quotes cataloged, I readed WOK four or so times and didn't catch this "Brothermance" quotes before. Nice =)

Nothing against anyone here (I allready ultrapassed my downvote limit from a day) But I really didn't get how or why Renarin or Adolin could turn "anti-hero". C'mon both are more in the path to radiantness than anything. 

Renarin is calm and smart and Adolin, with the Dalinar's Vision conflict, really man up in a good way in the last book. I could bet that both will turn out to be Radiants soon than later. =)

Keep in mind that Adolin has gone more zen in the second half of TWoK. He is much more in peace with himself and the Codes. That makes him less likely to turn into Vader. 

What's up with you people needing main characters to join the Dark Side? Those of you familiar with The Wheel of Time - how many of the main characters introduced in The Eye of the World went bad? There is nothing wrong with a big epic like The Stormlight Archive establishing some foundation characters the reader can (mostly) rely on. We don't need antiheroes just yet. Plus, plenty of Heralds walking around...

WOW!

You must have all the Renarin quotes cataloged, I readed WOK four or so times and didn't catch this "Brothermance" quotes before. Nice =)

A.) Have read WoK straight through 4 times, and in pieces, about 8 times

B.) Obsessed with Renarin and after the wiki edit, am now intimately familiar with all of his quotes

C.) While doing fic research (and later, wiki research) often get hung up on Kholin brother feels.

D.) Uncanny ability to remember pieces of quotes and phrases to use the "find" feature in Kindle to grab exactly what I need.

So... not "catalogued" unless you count my personal mental coppermind index of "Hey Feather, you should keep track of everything to do with Renarin in case someone tries to say that he's evil again. You may need some sources to cite in whatever essay you end up writing." That and quick access to the Kindle version for copy-paste!

Yeah, I don't really see Adolin freaking out that Renarin gets Radiant powers and he doesn't. This is the same Adolin, who at the end of the book when he's about to die with Dalinar because Dalinar trusted the visions (and wrongfully interpreted them to mean that he should trust Sadeas), says, "You are right to follow the Codes. You were right to try to unite Alethkar. And I was a fool for fighting you on it every step along the path." (Ch. 66 "Codes", pg. 907) He gets some pretty prime character development, especially for a character who's not in the spotlight for most of the book. Renarin's even further from the spotlight, so I'm hoping for great progress from him. But yeah, I've got the feeling that their brotherly bond (which I too find adorable) will be too strong for petty things like jealousy and/or envy to get in the way. They might, but it'd probably be a small five minute thing, and then they'd be over it by the next chapter.

A.) Have read WoK straight through 4 times, and in pieces, about 8 times

B.) Obsessed with Renarin and after the wiki edit, am now intimately familiar with all of his quotes

C.) While doing fic research (and later, wiki research) often get hung up on Kholin brother feels.

D.) Uncanny ability to remember pieces of quotes and phrases to use the "find" feature in Kindle to grab exactly what I need.

So... not "catalogued" unless you count my personal mental coppermind index of "Hey Feather, you should keep track of everything to do with Renarin in case someone tries to say that he's evil again. You may need some sources to cite in whatever essay you end up writing." That and quick access to the Kindle version for copy-paste!

LOL. A little excessive but nice  =)

Well, all of his fantasy books so far have included some type of magic that runs through bloodlines, so the Kholin family being radiant central really isn't all the far-fetched.  Plus, it is a fairly standard fantasy treatment.

Actually, Brandon is bucking that trend with the Stormlight Archive.

Source:

BRANDON SANDERSON (Paraphrase)
He talked about the link between his magic systems. One of the core principles is 'investing'. In a lot of his systems people are through some mechanism invested with magic powers. In Elantris through the Shaod, In Mistborn it's genetic, in The Way of Kings it depends on what someone has done.

Okay, it seems I may have ruffled a few feathers earlier, so I'll be a little more serious. :P

I believe that there are three major factors that will play a part in Renarins development.

Kaladin, Shardplate, and a bonding spren.

Lets say Renarin gets his Plate. So he has his Plate and he seeks additional training in arms since he hasn't really had an opportunity to really practice the craft of war. It seems to me that since Kaladin has just set up a massive training program and since Renarin will be associating with Kaladin, he will do some of his training under Kaladins tutelage. Now, at the same time as Kaladin starts to influence how Renarin thinks of the glorious art of warfare, Renarin will have attracted a spren.

I believe that Renarin will become competent in the arts of war, but will set them aside due to Kaladins influence, and the influence of his spren and instead become a master at creating fabrials and learning the secrets hidden in his Shardplate. I believe that Renarin is destined to become a Bondsmith and become the head of that Order.

Now that lil Ren is out of the way, on to Adolin.

I don't for a minute think that Adolin will become even a little bit dark. I also believe that he will eventually become a Radiant. I believe that by the end of book three that Kaladin and Adolin will be fast friends. Adolin just has to let go of his preconceptions about Kaladins place in the world and they will get on right as rain. I believe that Adolins friendship with Kaladin will help both of them become more well rounded people. The master of the sword and the master of the spear will stand side by side. It just has to end up that way.

Ahh, Gloom, that is actually one of my biggest hopes for WoR - I'm right there with you!

Although I'd also really like the four young'uns all bffs together, but the idea of Kaladin and Adolin's relationship there felt like it had the most substance at the end of WoK.