QF 10- The Scadrial Atium Rush

The Discovery*

As James W. Marshall placed down a log of wood, he stumbled backwards. His friend helped him move the log into place, but James tripped into the river. His friend laughed and reached forward to help James up.

James ignored the hand and reached into the river to push him up. His hand touched something cold, with a metallic texture.

Huh? He wondered. James looked down and saw a big bead of a dark purple metal. He pulled it out and examined it.

“What’s that?” His friend asked, grabbing at it.

“Hey, I found it,” James said. “It’s kinda pretty, ain’t it?”

“Yeah, it is. What’s it?”

“I ain’t know.” James put it in his bag. “Ain’t look like any metal I know.”

“Sure it’s metal? Might be some trash or somethin’.”

“Yeah, pretty sure. What ya thank it is? Atium, the lost metal?” James joked.

“Nah, that’s ridiculous.” His friend shrugged. “Send it back to Elendel for analysis.”

“Good idea,” James said, and later that day he sent it in a package back to the city.

-

The first of the many independent miners to come had a pan made of metal and an insane attitude. He believed the crazy reports that had gotten everywhere- that atium had been rediscovered. The miner sat down on the bank of the river and reached down.

It took him under an hour to find the tiny bead he was searching for.

It was beautiful.

It was a violet shade and when he polished it off with a cloth, it glowed in the afternoon light. Or maybe that was just him. He pulled out one of the glass bottles he’d brought and dropped the bead in.

“Atium,” he breathed out. It made a soft clink noise. “I found it.”

-

That night, as a larger group arrived and set up tents, a shadow crossed the camp. A person stood in the darkness. They were a scout for the larger group that was set to come.

“Atium. Rediscovered at last. No way are we going to let these ‘independants’ gain a monopoly on such a vital resource.” The corporate’s scout said as they wrote the report from the cliff. “I think something needs to be done about this.”

-

The next day, the first immigrant was found dead in the river. The bead of atium he’d found the day before was missing.

Rules

Welcome to the year of 1845! Atium’s been rediscover’ off in some distant land to the far west, so anyone who’s anyone is hitchin’ up their wagons and headin’ west to try their fortune panning for atium. But mayhap not everyone’s happy with this arrangen’ment so they’re wantin’ all the atium for themselves. Will you make your fortune headin’ west on the Scadrial Atium Rush? Or will you go to an early grave for askin’ one too many questions?

There’s two factions in this game- 
Independant Miners and Greedy Corporations. The Miners win if they kill all the CorporatesCorporates win if they outnumber the Miners. However, there’s a catch. The player that kills another player, last lynch vote or Corporate kill, gets the dead player’s atium. (The amount of atium is determined by the GM). There’s a secondary win condition for every separate player too: have the most atium on all teams by yourself. The Corporates have a shared google doc and know who each other are. 

Corporates get a kill per cycle and the Miners get a lynch. It is 24 hours day and night combined cycles.

Private Messages are usual rules. You can open one with any other player, so long as I’m in it.

Shop
All items can be purchased for atium. All atium spent in the shop returns to the pool of potential atium.
If you don’t start with an item, you start with an amount of atium. If it’s spent in the shop, it disappears from the game. The amount of atium that each player had isn’t counted in the original pool.

Buying an item or using an item 
both take up an action. You cannot pan for atium and buy/use an item at the same time but you can pan and turn off an item.

The cost of the items will be affected by how much atium the GM puts in the pool in the beginning(The amount of atium in the pool in the beginning will be affected by the number of players.) You can only have one of each item. You could have a Mercenary and a Thief for Hire, but not two Mercenaries. 

Items for Purchase
2a Larger Pan - Your chances of finding atium is raised to 100%. (requires an action to start, then is always on)
4a Mercenary - You can set them to guard your tent at night! If you’re attacked, your mercenary dies instead. If you’re robbed by a Thief, the mercenary catches them. If you’re investigated by a Metal Detector, the mercenary doesn’t catch them. (requires an action every cycle you want to use it)
4a Thief For Hire - You can send them to steal someone else’s atium! If you rob someone with a Mercenary, your action fails. (requires an action to use, one time use)
2a Metal Detector- You can use it to see how much atium and what items a person has. You cannot steal the atium or steal the item. (requires an action to use, one time use)
1a Can of Spray Paint- You can use it to post an anonymous message in the writeup. (does 
not require an action, can use whenever you want)
4a Medkit- Whoever holds it automatically uses it if they’re attacked. The Medkit delays death for one cycle. Then they die. It’s revealed that they used a Medkit. You can give it to someone else, but they won’t be told they hold a Medkit. (does not require an action, is passive)
12a: Dagger - Kill 
someone. (requires an action to use, one time use)

Panning for Atium
You can spend a turn Panning for Atium. You can’t use an item while Panning unless it specifically says you can. Any questions about that will be CRAFOd (Check Rules and Find Out) so the glorious GM don’t have to repeat herself. You have a fifty percent chance of finding atium unless you have a Pan. Each team has a count of atium and so does each individual. After any team wins for any win condition, the player with the top amount of atium is revealed in thread. Even if their side loses, they get their secondary win condition.

THE MAGICAL ATIUM COLLECTION AWARD:
If you somehow manage to get all of the potential atium, you get this reward. Because it’s practically impossible and you must be a master of gaining atium, you get Absolute Bragging Rights. And nobody should challenge you because seriously, this should be impossible. It will be announced in thread.

Order of Actions
Lynch- Spray Paint- Pan Enhanced Atium- Pan for Atium- Metal Detector- Thief For Hire- Mercenary- Medkit- Corporate Kill 

For Purposes of Roleplaying
The Scadrial Atium Rush will be played in a region that looks suspiciously like California during the Californian Gold Rush. All roleplaying is in the California Gold Rush time, except on Scadrial with Atium.

And the signups are open! Welcome to QF10. The idea of a Scadrial game without allomancy came from Renegade's QF8. Signups will be closed on Sunday, September 27 (exact time to come). The writeup time will come soon as well. If you're on a mobile and can't change the color, write this PERSON WHO YOU ARE VOTING FOR[/color*], but get rid of the *s. I will try to keep a link to each cycle's writeup in my signature. And player list in the writeup.

Now, happy murdering each other!

*this may or may not be how the actual California Gold Rush started. Do not use this and substitute 'gold' for 'atium' for a history report. 
EDIT: I have switched the rules to the modified version. 

Edited by Alvron

Just dropping by to say that this looks awesome, but I'll have to sit it out. Way too much stuff to get done over the next few weeks. I'm happy to offer up a Heatherlocke as victim in a writeup, should you need someone to kill off.

Can I get access to the spec doc, should there be one?

RULE CLARIFICATIONS:

Yes, there's a Spec Doc and it's available to anyone who wants it. 

Questions; has the dagger been completely removed?
Will the prices change?
Can players give Atium to people?
Can a mercenary guard someone else or only you?

No.

No.

Just you.

Question:

• If I use a Mercenary, and am robbed and attacked, which does he block? Both? What If I'm attacked twice? What if I'm robbed twice?
  • If I don't have a mercenary, and am robbed twice, who gets the Atium? An even split?
  • Can I give items to people?
  • If I die, do my items go to my killer or are they removed from the game?
  • If someone is robbed and killed, who gets the Atium?
  • If I have a Medkit and a Mercenary, and I'm attacked, which is used first?
  • How many Questions do I have to ask before you kill me automatically?
  • If someone steals from the person lynched, who gets the atium? The thief or the last voter?
  • To repeat Hero, when is the Lynch in the Order of actions?
  • Is there a limit on how many Cans of Spraypaint will be posted each writeup?
  • Is there a limit on wordcount for the cans of spraypaint?

See order of actions. You can't be attacked twice. If you're robbed twice, the mercenary blocks one. 

An even split

Removed from the game

See order of actions

See order of actions

Two.

See order of actions.

See original post, I updated it. 

Four. If there's more, the Can of Spraypaint will be returned to the person who put it in last.

500 words. But I'm going by honor code here, I'm not going to count it up myself.

In response to MINERS BREAK GAME Situation, I have updated the original post. Please reread.

So whoever is lynched will not be able to take any actions?

Yes. And no actions against them will happen.

What about the rest of the questions I asked?

I put them in the Rule Clarifications post.

It doesn't specifically say anywhere that players only get one action, so I'm just making sure. 

Also, are PMs only one-on-one and do they count as actions?

Yes.

I've clarified that. And no. 

*long post by Joe*

There is as many items as can be purchased each cycle. I shall take your suggestions.

PLEASE RECHECK THE RULES FOR ITEM PRICES. 

PLAYER LIST:

1. Shallan, Cation Vinid

2. Alvom, the Wanderer (guy who wants a Shard)

3. Phattmer, Exisa (a guy who claims he's a "coinshot" with a gun)

4. STINK (a guy)

5. Nabs (a guy with a complicated backstory)

6. The Pooh with a name (a guy, I think)

7. Doctor McNinja (a guy with a history of multiple quick fixes)

8. Joe, Joel Tormander (a mistborn guy)

9. Lami Willen

10. Orlok, Locke 

11. Ripple, Lady Abigail (a lady)

12. Venture, Maximus (a guy)

13. Bridgeboy. Slade (a guy who's a mercenary)

14. Downax, Dow (a guy)

15. Alvron, Swift (a Steelrunner guy)

16. Feligon, Nifergo (a scoundrel guy, I think)

17. Kipper, Kipper (a guy in the band, Kipper and the Cryptics)

18. a smart guy, Surtile (a guy who follows the path and is also very smart)

20. Lopen, Lopen (a guy who's a fan of THE Lopen)

21. polking horn, Rel'Dan (guy who's a poacher)

22. Paranoid King, Tommy (a guy who wants another guy dead)

Edited by Winter Cloud

Alvom overlooked the dusty landscape, perched atop a colossal tree adorned with bark the color of blood. From this height he could track the winding rivers of western Scadrial for miles, flowing from the top of a distant mountaintop through small, rigid valleys shaped like fingers. Some rushed for the ocean to the north while others weaved across the countryside, only to meet at a deep depression to the south where they coalesced into a massive lake, its surface glimmering like crystal in the presence of a dawning sun.

Dozens of Scadrians were scattered across the horizon, each sifting through the numerous streams in search of the lost metal, Atium. How it was lost the Wanderer was unsure, for the last time he visited this world it was relatively prevalent among the nobility of Luthadel. Somehow during his absence the Lord Ruler had been killed and the world had been moved to a safer position within the Void, ashmounts eliminated and prosperity breathed back into the dying terrain.

Instinctively he knew Leras was dead, and that his power, as well as Ati’s, had been claimed by another. It explained the sudden and drastic change in the world, though what events led to this shift the Wanderer could only guess. He suspected it would have been a very interesting story to tell, but it could not be helped; his attention was required elsewhere. Now, however, the etherealm was at peace. Maybe not for long, but long enough that he could indulge in a visit to one of his favorite places created in the wake of Adonalsium’s shattering.

For now he would remain anonymous, suppressing his own abilities so that he may remain unnoticed, though perhaps one day he would approach this new god, seeking answers. If he could he would avoid that, bearing in mind the last time he revealed himself to a Shard. Seldom did they appreciate outsiders. Instead, to sate both his boredom and curiosity, he would assimilate himself among the Scadrians and see what information he could glean by joining them in their pursuit of wealth and power.

His guise this time around shouldn’t be hard to fabricate, considering the circumstances. He could easily pretend to be just another worthless unknown; a poor, middle aged man, desperate to gather enough Atium to support his family and elevate their status in this new era of discovery. It seemed a good enough role to play as he panned the Scadrians minds for information.

EDIT (for question): Winter, out of curiosity, why did you decide to make it so the last person to vote for someone obtains the Atium from the lynch? Personally I would have chosen the first to receive it, since they instigate the vote, and because it seems otherwise people may be encouraged put in votes last minute, which might make it harder for the Independent Miners to win.

Edited by Alvom Halbin

Joel Tormander, a Mistborn sent to investigate the Atium Rush is signing up.

Questions; has the dagger been completely removed?

Will the prices change?

Can players give Atium to people?

Can a mercenary guard someone else or only you?

Edited by The Only Joe

Nabs returned to the trading post to find it crawling with travelers, prospectors, thieves, and money seekers. He scratched his scrabbly beard and spit in the dirt, scowling at the newcomers. "What in ruination is goin' on here?" He demanded of nobody in particular.

Hereaux Wanab III, high lord of House Wanab, stepped up beside him, brushing a bit of the road dust off of his finely tailored suit. "It's obvious, isn't it? These people have come seeking easy wealth and quick prosperity. It would seem that our little trading post won't remain little for much longer. It will be a town before a year has passed. Maybe even a city by the end of the decade."

"Rust and ruin!" Nabs cursed, spitting again. "There ain't enough gold in them hills ta make these people rich. There is barely enough for us." That reminded Nabs- his reserves were running low. He fished out a small gold nugget from his pocket, then swallowed it with a swig from his canteen.

Meanwhile, Hereaux was replenishing his reserves as well. The house lord retrieved a bottle of wine from the cart and filled a small goblet. He added some gold dust from the pouch in his sleeve, then leisurely drank the wine. "I suspect it's not the gold they have come for. It's something else, something... more valuable."

"More valuable than gold?" Nabs said, scratching his beard. "Hmm... Come on. Let's go check it out!"

"Indeed," Hereaux said, following.

Signing up as Nabs, a gap-toothed prospector who has long since blown the fortune he inherited from his family, and Hereaux Wanab III, successful businessman and house lord of House Wanab. One of them is a Gold misting who has been burning Gold for so long that he had become a Savant, and the other is his gold-shadow. However, it's been so long that neither one of them can remember which one is the real one (Hint: it's Nabs).

Looking forward to this game. :)

I will be joining this game.

Doctor McNinja will be venturing to California with his shiny new lawman badge. He has a feeling his skills as both a lawman and doctor will be needed in a place like this.

---

I am taking this game to have happened before the previous two QFs that Doctor McNinja was in. This could lead to some interesting scenarios should he die in this game. 

Question for the GM: Just to be clear, the game ends when the Atium runs out, meaning the pool of Atium that supplies the Atium people get when panning, right? And this is the same pool that Atium goes into when you buy an item, right? So if people are buying items on a regular basis, and Atium keeps going back into the pool, wouldn't that make it so that the game essentially goes on forever (until one team kills the other anyway)?

Also, I foresee another (potential) problem: The village could conceivably adopt the tactic of every player just panning for gold every turn until it runs out. Yeah the Eliminators will kill a few of them and steal some Atium along the way, but if the players did this it could be possible for them to force an early end to the game with enough villager players left with enough atium that the smaller Corporate team probably won't be able to compete with them. There is a little risk to that strategy, but not a whole lot, and I'm guessing that as the GM that isn't the way you want to see the game play out. 

EDIT: Also, the lynch kill is notably missing from your Order of Actions section. Exactly where it ends up (namely, before or after the Corporate Kill) can affect a number of things. 

Edited by Herowannabe

I for one won't be using that strategy. Nearly risk free? A Guaranteed win? Boring.

However, I agree with changing the win conditions to a normal wipe out/outnumber the enemy team. Currently the Independents could wipe out the conspirators, and the game wouldn't end because there would be more atium left to get.

Question:

• If I use a Mercenary, and am robbed and attacked, which does he block? Both? What If I'm attacked twice? What if I'm robbed twice?
  • If I don't have a mercenary, and am robbed twice, who gets the Atium? An even split?
  • Can I give items to people?
  • If I die, do my items go to my killer or are they removed from the game?
  • If someone is robbed and killed, who gets the Atium?
  • If I have a Medkit and a Mercenary, and I'm attacked, which is used first?
  • How many Questions do I have to ask before you kill me automatically?
  • If someone steals from the person lynched, who gets the atium? The thief or the last voter?
  • To repeat Hero, when is the Lynch in the Order of actions?
  • Is there a limit on how many Cans of Spraypaint will be posted each writeup?
  • Is there a limit on wordcount for the cans of spraypaint?
Edited by The Only Joe

I for one won't be using that strategy. Nearly risk free? A Guaranteed win? Boring.

Oh I totally agree, which is why I brought the possibility of it up before the game started, so the GM can nip that nasty little scenario in the bud.

It shouldn't be too hard to figure out the strategy I plan on ensuing: LYNCH THE INACTIVES!

Seriously though, as an inactive player, the ONLY good you can possibly do for your team is to be a repository for any Atium you gathered or started the game with before going inactive. Much better to have that Atium in the hands of someone else who can use it or protect it behind a guardsman. 

So be forewarned everyone, I'm telling you now before the game starts and I get assigned to one team or the other: The Contribution Crusade will be in full force this game. I will be advocating the lynchings of any players who go inactive. And if you see the eliminators start killing off inactive players, you'll know that either I'm an eliminator or that the eliminators are trying to cast suspicion on me. 

Also, if anyone wishes to join this noble cause, I have new signature-legal banners ready to be distributed! :D

333x100 pixels:

20811290081_0d40fc3d97.jpg

131x50 pixels:

20964843084_c01f55b1cb_m.jpg
Edited by Herowannabe