TwinBorn Combonations

mowque

Prolly a little too "real world" but, for Brass/Bronze, "Heatseeker"

EDIT (to add a thought): I notice you X out all of the allomantic Aluminum/Duralumin possibilities, presumably since they are no different from the Ferring without the useless-on-its-own power. I recommend that you remove those X's for the two Compounders, since even if a Trueself with allomantic aluminum has no useful advantage (that people in Alloy of Law times would know of) over a mere Trueself ferring, the ability to Compound Identity might well be quite interesting. May I suggest the name... Truest-self?

Edited by Darnam

One thing, there probably shouldn't be a Nightwatcher. That's the name of a character in TWoK and I highly doubt Brandon would use it again.

Edit: also, what is the 0.39 on each line for?

The .39 is the percentage of likelihood spread out across evenly among all chances. Wax however, states that some (he names Coinshots) are more common them others. Once I have them all named, I'm going to assign some percentages so when I (fan-fiction) write a story I can just plug in a population and it tells me the odds of how many of each type live there.

Prolly a little too "real world" but, for Brass/Bronze, "Heatseeker"

EDIT (to add a thought): I notice you X out all of the allomantic Aluminum/Duralumin possibilities, presumably since they are no different from the Ferring without the useless-on-its-own power. I recommend that you remove those X's for the two Compounders, since even if a Trueself with allomantic aluminum has no useful advantage (that people in Alloy of Law times would know of) over a mere Trueself ferring, the ability to Compound Identity might well be quite interesting. May I suggest the name... Truest-self?

Good point! I didn't think of the Compounders.

I don't think it's possible to compound any of the enhancement metals; burning them just sort of, uses them up. It does remove some of the more nonsensical combinations. Infinite investiture would certainly be ridiculous.

If you burn them allomantically, you might have a point. But both Vin and Miles showed us that when you ingest a metal with a feruchemical charge, there's a separate "pool" of power to burn. Miles doesn't have to review his own past just to access his own stored health, nor does he have to burn health when he wants to review his past. I don't think it removes anything, and things aren't impossible just because they're ridiculous or nonsensical.

Verify what exactly?  He isn't a compounder... Or am I missing something?

Early in the book, I believe before we even meet Wayne, we've got a Wax viewpoint where it is mentioned that Wayne has claimed to know the nicknames for every possible Twinborn combination. Wax is skeptical.

Early in the book, I believe before we even meet Wayne, we've got a Wax viewpoint where it is mentioned that Wayne has claimed to know the nicknames for every possible Twinborn combination. Wax is skeptical.

Ah okay, that makes more sense.

But both Vin and Miles showed us that when you ingest a metal with a feruchemical charge, there's a separate "pool" of power to burn

@Darnam I agree with this, isn't this separate "pool" of power also burned to release its power? Or at least that its power is expressed allomantically. All the enhancement metals are released in a flash (no aluminium or duralamin left over and I assume, no nicrosil or chromium). I posit that it would be impossible to store this energy feruchemically and you would thus be unable to start a compounding loop. 

I agree that it just because something is ridiculous, it doesn't mean it can't happen, but this logical (to my mind, at least) explanation would remove the danger of "story-breaking" or just plain difficult to conceptualise powers.

I do not think it is a coincidence that all of the more esoteric powers (luck, identity, investiture and to a lesser extent, connection) are connected to the "one-and-done" enhancement powers.

Edited by HumorSpren

@Darnam I agree with this, isn't this separate "pool" of power also burned to release its power? Or at least that its power is expressed allomantically. All the enhancement metals are released in a flash (no aluminium or duralamin left over and I assume, no nicrosil or chromium). I posit that it would be impossible to store this energy feruchemically and you would thus be unable to start a compounding loop. 

First, there's no reason you can't store a huge burst of power feruchemically.

Second, I don't think you're right that enhancement metals all get used up in a flash. Aluminum does, but that's because aluminum cleanses you of all metals, including itself. Duralumin does not. In the book, the first time Vin burns duralumin, she keeps it going for several seconds while she tries to figure out if it's having any effect.

If a Trueself Compounder stored some identity in an aluminummind, then ingested the aluminum, he'd feel two pools of power. If he burns the normal allomantic aluminum, it will cleanse itself, presumably destroying both pools. However, he could leave that pool alone, and only burn the feruchemical identity. This would give him a ton more identity than he stored (whatever that means) which he'd either have access to right away, or he could store in a second metalmind.

I'm still not seeing why you think any of that means a Trueself can't compound.

• 3 months later...
  • Chaos locked this topic