@Sera: thanks again for the thoughtful reply. I'm pressed for time at the moment, so I cannot respond in kind just yet, but I do value detailed feedback, and negative feedback more than positive. Since you are concerned about distracting, I'll send a private message later, if that is alright by you?

Sure. Let me know if you familiar to Lambert's Cosine and specularity in this pm, because they're fundamental in my climate musings and I'll need to explain and show how I'm using them otherwise.

Edited by Sera

What do you think of a tribe of sapient leopard seal-type beings living beside a tribe of humanoids, polar buddy?

Sounds awesome! Would they be capable of speaking and interacting with the humanoids? Would they have opposable thumbs, or would they basically just be super clever seals?

I'm considering a society of remote raptors in the mountains, comprised mainly of scholars, shamans, and shepherds on the surrounding tundra that rear furry dinosaurs like these:

Leaellynasaura_new.jpg

We'll need to establish more details on the raptors as a whole, though.

Sounds awesome! Would they be capable of speaking and interacting with the humanoids? Would they have opposable thumbs, or would they basically just be super clever seals?

I'm considering a society of remote raptors in the mountains, comprised mainly of scholars, shamans, and shepherds on the surrounding tundra that rear furry dinosaurs like these:

Leaellynasaura_new.jpg

Definitely capable of interacting with humans, though lacking opposable thumbs and other humanoid traits. I like the idea of two vastly different races developing parallel and symbiotic cultures alongside one another. Is there any basic kind or kinds of magic allowed, or can we just go hog-wild with it?

Definitely capable of interacting with humans, though lacking opposable thumbs and other humanoid traits. I like the idea of two vastly different races developing parallel and symbiotic cultures alongside one another. Is there any basic kind or kinds of magic allowed, or can we just go hog-wild with it?

Eh. I made a little rulebook to keep everything consistent, but in all likelyhood, you'll be able to fit anything you want to do into that system. If you can't, we'll alter the rulebook.

Go ahead.

Edited by Mckeedee123

Eh. I made a little rulebook to keep everything consistent, but in all likelyhood, you'll be able to fit anything you want to do into that system. If you can't, we'll alter the rulebook.

Go ahead.

Although, I don't think you ever explained what you meant with setting seven common colors (types?) of Lemures and six sections of the spiritual plane.

Personally, I'd be more interested in what limits there are for not "main" races, like Twi's leopard seals.

That's what I was hoping for. So essentially the "shouldn't be able to take everything over" guideline from the beginning?

Right. Talking leopard seals that live on the coast? Awesome! Giant pugs made of animated steel that can breathe radioactive fire and resurrect the dead? Also awesome, but sadly not permissible. :P

Right. Talking leopard seals that live on the coast? Awesome! Giant pugs made of animated steel that can breathe radioactive fire and resurrect the dead? Also awesome, but sadly not permissible. :P

What if the pugs can only function if everyone around them loves them or would that be to easy a condition? :P

What if the pugs can only function if everyone around them loves them or would that be to easy a condition? :P

Too easy. :P

For the seals, the primary magic I wanted was one allowing them to communicate with other sapient races. Some form of pictorial telepathy, perhaps, or something allowing them to impart the meaning of their songs to other races. Other forms of magic they'd possess wouldn't be more outlandish than that.

Although, I don't think you ever explained what you meant with setting seven common colors (types?) of Lemures and six sections of the spiritual plane.

I didn't? Oh. I'm reconsidering that, but I had the general idea when I wrote that that the colors would have vague elemental associations for people to use. Mostly, it would affect what kind of demigods manifested, but again, I'm not sure if people are interested in the system...

-White Lumuoles don't do anything, and are practically invisible, but they create mineral deposits of magic over time.

-Reds are associated with fire, industry, and fertility.

-Blues are associated with water, scholarship, and mental acuity.

-Yellows are associated with electricity, pride, and sovereignty.

-Greens are associated with wind, life and happiness.

-Oranges are associated with earth, strength and resolve.

-Purples are associated with light/darkness, illusion, and fear.

Whatever they are, they should be pretty loose. Cracking down too hard on original races and regions would go against the spirit of the project.

Personally, I retracted my opinion that sapient races would edge each other out. It happens all the time with varieties and races of hominids, but then again, hominid species had identical ecological niches. Twi's seals probably wouldn't edge out the humans in their region because they would (presumably) get most of their food from deep underwater while the local human population would fish more shallowly. I think the best way for the raptors to work would be for their societies to be less "formidable" than the adjacent human ones (who would do high-density farming), but also be adapted to environments that humans aren't very good at eking out a living in, like jungles and mountains.

I'll probably be including Autenots and Hakkites, but they'll be out on the submerged continent islands.

Edited by Mckeedee123

I didn't? Oh. I'm reconsidering that, but I had the general idea when I wrote that that the colors would have vague elemental associations for people to use. Mostly, it would affect what kind of demigods manifested, but again, I'm not sure if people are interested in the system...

-White Lumuoles don't do anything, and are practically invisible, but they create mineral deposits of magic over time.

-Greens are associated with life and happiness.

-Oranges are associated with strength and resolve.

-Purples are associated with darkness, illusion, and fear.

I like that system! :D Are all of the associations derived from physical properties of the lumuoles themselves, or are there any associations that are purely cultural values? If the latter, would they vary from race to race?

Personally, I retracted my opinion that sapient races would edge each other out. It happens all the time with varieties and races of hominids, but then again, hominid species had identical ecological niches. Twi's seals probably wouldn't edge out the humans in their region because they would (presumably) get most of their food from deep underwater while the local human population would fish more shallowly. I think the best way for the raptors to work would be for their societies to be less "formidable" than the adjacent human ones (who would do high-density farming), but also be adapted to environments that humans aren't very good at eking out a living in, like jungles and mountains.

I'll probably be including Autenots and Hakkites, but they'll be out on the submerged continent islands.

All right, I can work within that framework.

For the seals, they would indeed fish more in deep water as opposed to the humans' more shallow fishing. I also imagined their cultures existing more or less in harmony, based on the fact that each assists the other in unique ways. An alliance between species, if you will.

So, I'd be free to do what I want (in bounds) with the whte minerals?

Just a thought--I was planning on making my tundra-mountain raptors a fairly scholarly bunch, possibly with a few monasteries sprinkled around the mountain range. If blue lumuoles are associated with water, could they allow entities to form an affinity with ice or snow as well?

Just a thought--I was planning on making my tundra-mountain raptors a fairly scholarly bunch, possibly with a few monasteries sprinkled around the mountain range. If blue lumuoles are associated with water, could they allow entities to form an affinity with ice or snow as well?

Well, those things are just water in a different form, so I don't see why not. (by the way, part of me finds it weird that we have three elements yet no earth and wind. :ph34r: )

I like that system! :D Are all of the associations derived from physical properties of the lumuoles themselves, or are there any associations that are purely cultural values? If the latter, would they vary from race to race?

Nah, what's listed there are the actual emotional states covered by that variety. A predator that induces euphoria in its prey would be using magic based on Green Lumuoles, for example.

So, I'd be free to do what I want (in bounds) with the whte minerals?

Yep. That's why they exist. Presumably, your regions would be the location of massive, weak hotspots that have a small population of disparate White Lumuole colonies. Over millions of years, the failed colonies that fell to the ground would build up mineral deposits.

I can't see why not.

Well, those things are just water in a different form, so I don't see why not. (by the way, part of me finds it weird that we have three elements yet no earth and wind.  :ph34r: )

Good point. If you want, we can tack earth and wind onto Orange and Green Lumuoles, respectively.

You wouldn't happen to be thinking about creating 4 adjacent island societies that specialize in manipulating earth, wind, water, and fire, would you?  ;) Because I would be so down for that.

Edited by Mckeedee123