32 posts in this topic

I have a great post I read about the relationship between the Cognitive, Spritual, and Physical Realms. I am more inclined myself to believe that the Dor is Spiritual as the Cognitive determines intent (from my understanding), the Spiritual determines the power (see Preservation in Allomancy, Endowment in BioChroma, etc) and Physical is the action that has been acted out. I might be off base, but this is my understanding as it is.

Be warned: That post has some interesting ideas, but is wrong in its basic theory.

Be warned: That post has some interesting ideas, but is wrong in its basic theory.

Hm, I'm going to need to read up on them a bit then. Thanks!

/>Yes, color "fuels" the initial Command. But it isn't needed for the next infinity as the Breath keeps animating objects and doing significant work, suggesting that the power source for vast majority if the things done by Awakened items is actually the Breath, not the color. As I've discussed in the past.

I Dont think that awakennings need extra power they are like heamlrugic spikes kinda where you just have a spike with a thing in it, and it gets stuck on, like if you stole human strength and put it into someone theres no question ''hey where is power for strength coming from''? SAying it is like interest makes it sound like you are saying that you get more of the same kidn of power as you already have so a breath should just get bigger and bigger if you hold it without doing anyting, but breaths get smaller and smaller because old people have smalelr breaths than kids.

The Only part of aawkeneing that needs fuel is the transfer of breath beacuse the moving breath is the only time you move the investiture otherwise you just have an alvie object moving around and that doesnt need magic fuel at all it is an alive object.

/>   

I Dont think that awakennings need extra power they are like heamlrugic spikes kinda where you just have a spike with a thing in it, and it gets stuck on, like if you stole human strength and put it into someone theres no question ''hey where is power for strength coming from''? SAying it is like interest makes it sound like you are saying that you get more of the same kidn of power as you already have so a breath should just get bigger and bigger if you hold it without doing anyting, but breaths get smaller and smaller because old people have smalelr breaths than kids.

The Only part of aawkeneing that needs fuel is the transfer of breath beacuse the moving breath is the only time you move the investiture otherwise you just have an alvie object moving around and that doesnt need magic fuel at all it is an alive object.

Aside: Robot, I am growing weary of expending the effort required to parse your posts, the deficienies of which have been brought to your attention numerous times in the past. Please start capitalizing, spelling, spacing, and punctuating in at least a semi-articulate manner, or I am afraid that I will begin to simply gloss over anything you have to say in the future.

That said:

I think we may be speaking at cross-purposes.

The power we see in most uses of magic is that of "spending" Investiture for a finite effect: burning Steel for a Push, drawing an Aon to teleport, Lashing an object for a short period of time.

There are also cases where people or objects gain some ongoing Investiture: Nightblood, Shardplate, Shardblades, Hemalurgic spikes, people, etc.

We do not say that this second class of objects does not expend energy to create their magical effects, as clearly something is going on. It follows, then, that (Nightblood in death-mode and active Shardplate excepted) they provide their own power.

I argue, then, that human souls are of the second class, providing their own "fuel" as they go. As Breath are part of souls, it follows quite naturally that they behave the same. You are right to say that, to a certain extent, an Awakened object is just "an alive object", but I think you are wrong to say that this means it doesn't require "magic fuel": clearly something odd and power-requiring is happening when you have stick-men and dead squirrels running around on their own power.

Perhaps the word "fuel" is misleading here, but, at the core, I am simply saying that Breath provides its own continuous power supply, and so Awakening is, primarily, "fueled" by Breath.

Edited by Kurkistan

Perhaps the word "fuel" is misleading here, but, at the core, I am simply saying that Breath provides its own continuous power supply, and so Awakening is, primarily, "fueled" by Breath.

Is there, perhaps a better term to facilitate understanding? It does get a bit convoluted when you consider that there are several "moving parts". For example, the power of Allomancy comes from Preservation,  however, the magic still requires the "burning of metals". Similarly, Surgebinding uses Stormlight (albeit Stormlight is much more magical than a mundane metal) but it doesn't necessarily mean that Stormlight is the fuel entirely by itself. For example the Spren may be involved.

If you have a better terminology, I'll be happy to update my post to reflect that.

Sorry, I didn't meant that to go against you, chrono. I agree that it's convoluted: really, I can't think of a better term off the top of my head to cover all the types of Investiture, besides maybe "Investiture", which doesn't get us far. "Fuel" is useful in certain contexts and misleading in others, just like all jargon.

I believe the bond with the investiture is the engine. The magic is the fuel. Nightblood was invested. He requires Breath for fuel. An Allomancer has to kick start his engine by snapping, and requires metals for fuel. A Surgebinder has to be bonded to an engine and then uses Stormlight for fuel. The Shaod may be the engine and the fuel. The somatic components give it direction.

I can't say I'm certain of this, because Brandon really knows how to make his magic systems complex, but I think this is the gist of what he has done.

Edited by Gloom