Chapter 47 Annotation *Spoilers everywhere*

Link Von Kelsier Harvey

So, this new annotation came out today. Let's briefly discuss what we learned.

1) We now have a second example of someone who Returned for a specific purpose. This might give us insight into how Endowment's powers work.

2) We have learned that Returned often regain their memories when confronted directly with the reason for their return.

3) We have learned that Yesteel knows how to create sentient weaponry, and is not above giving this information away.

4) We learn that Lifeless have enough cognitive power and sense of self to potentially be view-point characters, and that keeping them in the dark is not a good thing.

Discuss.

I'm most interested in a Lifeless viewpoint character. Although I have a feeling it's going to be much like reading the viewpoint of some animal like a dog. Mostly instinctive feelings and actions.

And the thoughts of an entire army with swords like Nightblood is a very chilling thought.

Well, let's say that the capital of a country has about 30,000 people. That's enough to power at least 10 Nightbloods. That could end... poorly. Plus, if it is "Destroy Hallandren" or "Destroy Returned", Hallandren could be in trouble.

I'm approaching this from a different angle: what Command would make something similar to Nightblood - a sentient object - not be quite so... destructive, and what object would you put it in?

After all, I don't think Vasher, Nightblood, or what little we see of Shashara ever said that a sentient object had to be a weapon. they just did that because it made the most sense. "A sword that destroys evil? What could go wrong?"

Personally I'd go with a shield with the Command 'protect innocence.'

The thought of this has been running circles in my head for ages. I'm aware that it would have the same issues, but I haven't been able to come up with anything better.

The real problem is that to create a sentient object with a true, immutable, specific purpose, it would have to be "do some thing concrete to something concrete." Since sentient objects last forever (I'm assuming) and nearly nothing else does, what would you have such a being do?

heck, now my brain's just cranking out nonsense, like a sentient water can whose command is "water plants."

the limitation there being that a sentient object can only fulfill its purpose while being powered by Breath. to stop the Broom Paradox, all you'd need to do it focus on the thought "everything is clean" and put down the broom.

I would think that the mental will to resist the urge to clean would be very different from the will to destroy evil, and easier for a normal person to come up with.

Note that even when Nightblood was sheathed, it tempted people to destroy, but it couldn't tempt those with pure hearts (see the chapter when Vasher breaks in to the tunnels under the Court of the Returned {terminology check}). In other words, it could not tempt those who had no urge to destroy.

Edit: the point I'm trying to make here is that if you have no urge to clean, the brooms can't tempt you to clean. so sentient mundane objects could be fairly benign.

also, if i'm remembering right (I'll check my facts shortly), Vasher had to draw Nightblood a little bit in order for him to tempt anyone. if he was fully sheathed, he couldn't do anything but talk mind-to-mind.

which brings on the completely different question of what is that sheath made out of, that it can block that much of Nightblood's purpose?

Edited by cuaiir

Very good point about the sheath and one I was going to make. If something as powerful as Nightblood, which can drive men to kill, and be stopped (for the most part) by being fully sheathed, is the sheath a separate Awakened object, part of the same object somehow, or a different magic entirely?

Also, as for a Lifeless viewpoint character, I think it would be very similar to the monster, Hunger, made of earth in Servant of a Dark God by John Brown. It was sentient, but didn't really have memories or feelings, only a hunger for souls. It acted very much on instincts and didn't have much humanity. I won't go into further detail for fear of spoiling a book which we aren't even discussing. Just my thought process.

• 3 months later...

I'm approaching this from a different angle: what Command would make something similar to Nightblood - a sentient object - not be quite so... destructive, and what object would you put it in?

What I would put it in might depend on what I want it to do.

I don't think we can assume that all sentient weapons would be as destructive as Nightblood. According to the annotations, such creations imprint heavily with their first experiences of the world. If Nightblood had a different set of early experiences, it might not have ended up so destructive.

Wording also might help. Would 'fight evil' be less aggressive than 'destroy evil?'

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that the sheath is made of human flesh and stops nightblood the same way a body stops metal being affected by allomancy

My guess is that this would work if it was living flesh, since it would probably be either a Spiritual or Cognitive effect that offers that protection. And if it's possible on this world to make a living sheath, well, we'd be dealing with an entirely new system of magic.

What I would put it in might depend on what I want it to do.

I don't think we can assume that all sentient weapons would be as destructive as Nightblood. According to the annotations, such creations imprint heavily with their first experiences of the world. If Nightblood had a different set of early experiences, it might not have ended up so destructive.

Wording also might help. Would 'fight evil' be less aggressive than 'destroy evil?'

It would need a continuous source of evil to fight, then again, you could say the same of destroying evil too, so it's tough to tell.

This is a bit of a rant, but why would you only make weapons from this kind of awakening?

OK, OK, human knowledge always seems to be used for weapons first, better technology and life second. So historically, that's the most likely use.

I guess I'm just speculating about where it would go once people decided that they needed or wanted to use that kind of awakening for something else? What if the command used was "Do my taxes every year?"

I guess I'm just speculating about where it would go once people decided that they needed or wanted to use that kind of awakening for something else? What if the command used was "Do my taxes every year?"

Other than the fact that you would need to imagine perfectly the process needed to do the taxes? ;)

Heck, it's challenging with a guide for each line.

Fell, sword-lover