Hemalurgy is Cosmere Universal (absolute confirmation)

Shardlet

Might I point out the Ruin's system works on every planet for the very simple fact that Entropy exists everywhere in the cosmere? At least that's how I make sense of it. Everything degrades, its one of the few shards that seems to have an omnipresent effect on the whole of how the cosmere works by simple fact of physics. Even Nalthis breaths can't overcome it since even the best effort to keep lifeless and the like from falling apart eventually fails.

If for that fact alone it probably explains why Hemalurgy is equally universal.

It also points out to me that Ruin probably was one of the biggest potentially weapons (and probably still is) against Odium.

Edit: With all this talk of the Space Opera!Mistborn anyone really wanting Brandon to write an Intergalactic Conflux book after the majority of Cosmere has achieved Star Trek/Star Wars level society?

Edited by Darkarma

So Ruin is affecting all planets. All shards are parts of creation. Even though they all have their own domains, this indicates they have something of a consensus reality.

No matter what shard I am, if I make a magic system, I'm making it *Cosmere wide.* Like making amendments to a group charter or constitution. I have to write these exceptions of "standard physics" into the same reality that everyone else inhabits.

If you buy this interpretation, it's important to note that planets and their shards aren't dictating what magic exists. They're dictating access. Allomancy exists everywhere, but can only be accessed with the correctly coded sDNA.

Hemalurgy is actually incredibly clever -- it doesn't need to wire access or provide power or fuel a reaction or any of those conditions other systems need, because it leeches all of those things from the target system.

When I view it like that, universal hemalurgy is the only thing that makes sense.

Yeah, I think of it more as like a hack using normal human physiiology.  Essentially the bindpoints are universal to all humans (something from original Yolen physiology?) and pressumably, the way investiture affects and is channeled through humans is also somewhat universal.  So, Ruin developed this system.  It's workability may have predated Ruin, but was not introduced until Ruin perhaps figured it out.

Just a point. I agree that the existence of bindpoints is universal to all humans. But I think that some specific bindpoints would vary between the different races as some of them have noticeably different physiology. I expect some bindpoints are universal, the heart for instance, but that there are some that are more race specific.

It is entirely possible that I could be wrong. To tell for sure we would need to know notably more about things like:

-What some more of the bindpoints actually are, do they all pierce specific vital organs that all people (and other spikable creatures) in the cosmere have?

-We had confirmation a while back that you could grant abilities to animals through Haemalurgy, so it stands to reason that you could steal some. I don't think every animal in the cosmere has all the same bindpoints as, say, a Scadrian human.

-Parshendi as an example. I expect they are eminently spikable just like everyone else, however I also think they have some very different physiology to your average human, so bindpoints may vary.

Actually, 'humans' is a bit of a weird/in-specific term in the cosmere. I should have used 'people' in my last post.

I thought we might be able to resolve the metal question tonight.  I asked Fog (who is/was at the signing tonight) to ask Brandon if a functional hemalurgic spike could be made from metals from planets other than Scadrial.  Alas, it was RAFO'd:(   Apparently Brandon does not wish to completely give us hemalurgy yet.

Edit: Feel free to click on the link and give Fog some love for agreeing on the fly to ask the question for us.

Edited by Shardlet

Thanks to Fog for asking the question for me

too bad it's a rafo but I guess that means it is COMPLICATED

does anyone knwo how to gget this forum to do new lines

because I press enter and it does not always make a new line

sometimes it gives me one

but most of the time when my post pops up it has no new lines at all I am putting extra enters into this post but I bet its going to just get rid of all of them again.

Thanks to Fog for asking the question for me too bad it's a rafo but I guess that means it is COMPLICATED does anyone knwo how to gget this forum to do new lines because I press enter and it does not always make a new line sometimes it gives me one but most of the time when my post pops up it has no new lines at all I am putting extra enters into this post but I bet its going to just get rid of all of them again.

Sounds like a browser issue.  But, I would start with some periods first. ;)

• Chaos locked this topic