Comic books!

The Question

Who else here reads comic books? What are you enjoying now?

I'm loving Daredevil, Batman, Nightwing, Justice League, The Flash, Captain Anerica, and Uncanny Avengers. X-Factor was my favourite series, but it finished it's ten year run in August.

Both Forever Evil and Infinity are quite good. I'd recommend them both, but Infinity might be easier to jump into as it features Thanos (Seen at the end of Avengers.)

Big fan of comic books here! Though my relationship with the big two is kind of love/hate, heh.

I grew up as a DC reader (Batfamily mostly... the Cassandra Cain Batgirl series remains my favorite superhero book of all time) but now the only comics I really follow are from Marvel or indies. Here's my current pull list:

Hawkeye - The slice-of-life pacing, fun tone, and the consistently awesome, designy art make this my favorite ongoing from Marvel.

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man - The fun, young Spider-Man book. Been following since the original USM with Peter... Bendis goes from strength-to-strength and is always paired with awesome artists.

Saga - Huge BKV fan (though funnily enough, I haven't read Ex Machina yet) and Fiona Staples is such an incredible artist. So so good.

Lazarus - The badass team of Rucka and Lark reunite, there's no way I could miss this book having loved Gotham Central so much. :P Very cool premise and Forever is an awesome lead character.

I also pick up trades for a few other series... but those're the ones that I like to follow month to month. I did also recently finish going through Faith Erin Hicks' tie-in comic for the PS3 game The Last of Us and the entirety of the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic comics. I highly recommended both for any fans of the sources.

Edited by ExMachina

@Exmachina: Cassie Cain Batgirl is one of the best comic series of the last decade or so. It's remarkably good. As much as I love Barbara Gordon (and Stephanie Brown, for that matter) Cassie is my favourite Batgirl.

@Featherwriter: Kid Loki surprised me by how good it is. I was not expecting to like a Loki series as much as I did. Young Avengers is good too and features several characters I really like and don't get to see enough.

@The Question: *high five for the Cass Cain love* Yeah, I love all 3 of those ladies but Cass is still my favorite... I do wish DC would bring her out of limbo, especially since Steph is coming back despite Babs being Batgirl now.

Awesome username and avatar, btw. :)

@Feather: I keep meaning to pick up Young Avengers! I read and enjoyed the original Heinberg/Cheung run and the new additions to the team (especially Kid Loki and America Chavez) look cool. Plus I've been a fan of Gillen from his video game journalism days, I should really give his comics a try...

• 6 months later...

I'm reading, mostly, DC Comics at the moment. Forever Evil has been... interesting, but a tad disappointing. They seem to have set up a lot of cool ideas with it which won't get paid off, unless we get an Earth-Three comic.

I keep meaning to go back and pick up the full StephBats run. I miss that era of Batman; Synder is a good writer, but I found his stuff so... dull in comparision to Morrison's, so I haven't been reading Batman lately. I have been enjoying Lemire's Green Arrow run, but if I'm being honest, that's probably at least as much for the art work as it is for the writing- maybe even more.

Licensed materials, I've been picking up the trades of the My Little Pony comics. The quality tends to go up and down quite a bit, but when it's good, it's fantastic. Volume 3 is one of the most enjoyable comic experiences I'v had in a long time. 

Double post...but in fairness (to myself), Forever Evil has had such an erratic schedule I didn't realise it was released until I saw it on the shelf. Anyone else pick up a copy?

Earth-3 is one of my favourite earths, so glad the Big Three survived at least. I can't believe Earth-3 Lex being the father of the child didn't occur to me until yesterday... still made for an interesting reveal though. I liked the issue, but... for an event focused around them, with a six issue prologue, I expected the Crime Syndicate to get a larger focus than they did. Yes, they got screen time in Justice League, but those just whet my appetite. I wanted to see more of Earth-3!

And Batmans plots had better have a great pay off. I don't have the same vitriol for the SuperWondy relationship I've seen some fans have, but a DC Trinity love triangle? Not exactly what I was hoping for.

I'm also not sure how to feel about the final page reveal. It feels obvious in retrospect, but... I was hoping Forever Evil would be relatively self-contained. Still, I guess we'll see how Johns plays it out.

I'm reading pretty much everything these days.  I think my current favorite title (though it's dipped a little, I feel) is Hawkeye with Matt Fraction as writer.  Some really creative stories with perfect artwork.

I'm loving the teen titans comics at the moment, and avatar comics too.

You'll be disappointed then Teen Titans has ended.  There's no way DC will let that title stay dead for long, but for now, it's too bad that they stopped it.

Double post...but in fairness (to myself), Forever Evil has had such an erratic schedule I didn't realise it was released until I saw it on the shelf. Anyone else pick up a copy?

I know what you mean.  The timing of releases is screwy.  They just released two weeks ago a Forever Evil: Aftermath title called Batman vs. Bane, but the actual Forever Evil plot line hasn't been resolved yet.

Actually, Teen Titans has already got a scheduled re-release; June/July, new number one written by Will Pfeifer.

The name is familiar, but I can't place it. Ah well.

The particularly weird thing about the release is how the solicits affected the reveals. If you don't read the solicitations or visit comic web sites, you would probably be surprised by the reveals... but I did read them. The fact I knew how FE was affecting Justice Leaguie moving forward wasn't a big deal; the fact I knew about it for months on the other hand annoyed me. A lot.

Yeah, that's one reason why I stay away from the solicitations.  Spoiler free!  I used to visit comic book websites, but it felt like all the opinion articles whined about how bad current comic were and how great the past storylines were and I got tired of that.  I know that's a generalization, but it was enough to make me decide that just reading the books was good enough for me.

• 1 year later...

I don't actively set out to read comics. But I've read a handful of series. I really like Chew, Fables, Unwritten, and I binge-read Bone twice in-a-row two summers ago now. I also really like Tang Girl and a couple of others that I've only read a few issued of but absolutely loved the stories, settings, characters, and artwork.