Seattle signing report out 10/14/13

karaokeang

This is awesome. Told you guys that it would be Friction, not Heat :P Division is an awesome Surge name. Makes sense given the Skybreakers name and what little we have seen of Dustbringers. I'm surprised Brandon corrected Travel to Transportation. Windy told me Travel was a confirmed Surge, so I blame Windy for everything. I wonder what Surface Tension's precise name will be...

By the way, it is Elsecaller. Not Elscaller.

Also, wow, Bondsmiths. I missed that in the other topic. Very interesting.

Brandon called it Travel, so I'm innocent in all this. :P

Fine :P Brandon can rename and switch things around until the books are published, so that's a thing that can happen.

Also, clearly, Bondsmiths are Order 8, since they have the surface tension-y Surge.

Something banged on the gates 3 times.  The lock got cut by the Shardblade, then the gates just swung open. 

Semantics =)

If he used the blade he would have cutted the gate not banged ;) But a get what you said no more arguing of my part =)

I'm surprised Brandon corrected Travel to Transportation. Windy told me Travel was a confirmed Surge, so I blame Windy for everything.

He didn't correct travel to transportation.  He said both, but seemed to indicate that transportation was better than travel. 

I wonder what Surface Tension's precise name will be...

Depends a lot on Peter.  Brandon said he describes the effect and Peter does the science and math associations and then they decide.

He didn't correct travel to transportation.  He said both, but seemed to indicate that transportation was better than travel. 

Depends a lot on Peter.  Brandon said he describes the effect and Peter does the science and math associations and then they decide.

Lol! This does not surprise me, but it does make me laugh a lot XD

Based on the starfalls vision, I am calling the last surge as communication.  It could be detection also, but I see too many clues pointing to communication as a Stoneward ability. 

I believe that all Radiants can do detection via their spren as Kaladin learns that they are approaching the warcamps from Syl and the surgebinder learns of the presence of the shardholder in this reading.

Edited: added detection as general ability, but not surge, explanation.

Edited by hoser

I don't know, I am pretty sure the last surge will still follow the 'Forces' theme....

I was thinking something like Attraction or Magnitism... possibly something like Solidity... or how about Vibration or Resonance.

On the Surface Tension name, I think it will eventually be called Cohesion.

((Surface tension is caused by cohesive forces between the particles of a liquid))

Edited by MadRand

Rigidity seems to be the best term to describe the situation Brandon described.  I don't like "rigidity" as the name for the surge though, but I haven't happened upon something better in my vast scientific knowledgeness.  Cohesion sounds wrong to me.  Cohesion is an attractive force and doesn't fit the scenario Brandon described.

I now embark upon my first intentional double post (and I think you'll agree that it is properly done).  I recalled something Brandon said while I was hovering in the signing line that is way cool.  This is not official and there is no indication that even if this is happening, it will make it into WoR.  So, don't piddle yourselves with happy pee just yet.

Michael Whelan reportedly has (spontaneously?) began working on new endpages!

Again, there is no confirmation that he is actually doing it and there is definitely no indications from Tor that even if Whelan does do them, that they would be in WoR.  But, how cool would that be.

The physics of what you are describing doesn't hold up.  Distance between molecules and atoms doesn't really have anything to do with rigidity or hardness or strength.  Just density really.

Allow me a second chance =)

"Density is mass per volume. The more molecules there are in a fixed volume, the greater the mass and density. But think about it, if there are more molecules there is less free space. Therefore the higher the density, the less free space there is. 

So in a solid, there is very little space between molecules because the molecules are tightly packed. Because there are so many molecules, the mass is greater and so is the density. (USUALLY) 

In liquids, the molecules are still touching, but there is space (gaps) between some of the molecules. These gaps make the density lower, this is because there are fewer molecules per fixed volume. 

In gases there is a lot of space between molecules, meaning there is EVEN fewer molecules in a given volume. Because gases has fewer molecules, the mass is lower. Therefore gas has the lowest density. 

The less space between molecules, the more molecules there are. 

More molecules=greater density=less space between molecules. 

Conversely, If there is a lesser amount of molecules, there is more space between molecules and less density."

So maybe the "superficial tension" surge is related to the density of things ? Make something more or less dense (hard/soft) ?

(I give up, I'm a law school graduate, science definitly isn't my strong point)

Someone have any theory about what could make a towel hard was rock in a pseudo-scientific way =)

Edited by Natans