Seattle signing report out 10/14/13

karaokeang

Okay, let's clear some things up, so at least the science is right:

• Surface tension is not a force - it's a result of a force. "Force," actually.
  • This "force" is cohesion, though a better way to call it would cohesive force (because it's not a real force)
  • Cohesion, or cohesive force, or force of cohesion, is a property of matter. It describes how well the atoms and molecules stick together in a substance.
  • Most importantly, it doesn't depend on the number of atoms or molecules in the substance, or compound, or object; it depends on their structure, how they are organized - their configuration. 

A good example of this. If you imagine a graphene molecule (which is a damnation strong molecule) and then look at some organic molecules, even with no understanding of science, you should intuitively understand that the structure of graphene gives is better rigidity. If you wanted to build a house out of only one molecule (because you are really weird or something...), graphene should feel like the right choice, because it's symmetric, it doesn't have any dangly bits, it doesn't have a weak spot, so to speak. Every one of those organic molecules (and pretty much every other complex molecule out there) has a strong core or center, but if you wanted to break it, you could just rip one of the "tails" off. You will also (kind of) notice that a graphene molecule doesn't have all that many atoms in it either - certainly fewer than those organic ones. 

So it's neither the density, nor the number of atoms, nor the distance between the atoms - at least not directly. All of those are parts of the shape of the molecule. And you can't claim that the higher (or even the lower) any one of those is, the more powerful the substance is. Because that's not the case. All that matters is the 3D structure.

A couple of reference Wikipedia pages: Cohesion (chemistry) and Surface tension.

P.S. Sorry, I like science...

Edited by Argent

Density though is completely unrelated to hardness, rigidity, etc.  For example, gold and lead are far denser than steel, but steel is much harder, as is copper, titanium, etc.  Also, (yes it is somewhat of a special case) solid water is less dense than liquid water.  Styrofoam is far less dense than lead, but hold out a sheet of lead and an identically dimensioned piece of styrofoam and tell me which will bend (yes, the effective forces at the end of each sheet is higher in the case of lead, I know). 

@ Argent- Graphene is very strong, but it is not particularly rigid.  It is actually quite flexible.

Edited by Shardlet

Whaaat? Time to abandon all theories (and hope! Abandon all hope!) from the last two days. Well, put them on hold at least. 

Also, Peter, if it's wrong because Brandon messed up during the signing, tell him he owes us more information!

Maybe this will work...

Hmm, maybe we say thank you for what we were given? It's kind of hard to answer rapid fire questions while signing books. Brandon didn't have to tell us anything in the first place, and Peter could have just let us stumble around in the dark, building theories off of incorrect facts.

Sigh. Some of this is wrong. I'm getting clarification.

But it's spelled Elsecallers.

There we go again to the draft board, Thanks for the clarification Mr. Peter. 

Ok how wanna ask Mr. Brandon again this question in the next signing =)

@ Argent Tks for the explanation kind sir, +1 upvote to you =)

Edited by Natans

What may be different is surface-tension (not final name), light (not directly confirmed, but not refuted), transportation v. travel.  Everything else is consistent with the info that Brandon gave at the signing.

It's possible - I thought to plea to someone to ask Brandon during the next signing whether we'll be getting new in-world art (likely) and new maps / endpages (possible, but not as likely). 

Brandon has said there will be more in-world art and previously said same end-papers for each volume.  No mention I know of for maps.

Hmm, maybe we say thank you for what we were given? It's kind of hard to answer rapid fire questions while signing books. Brandon didn't have to tell us anything in the first place, and Peter could have just let us stumble around in the dark, building theories off of incorrect facts.

I don't think anyone is being ungrateful and I think everyone is appreciative for the information we have been given.  I know I was just expressing my disappointment (this is too strong of a word and not quite right) that we had some information confirmed and was building theories and tables off of it.  I think both Argent and I were trying to be funny and trying to get new info on the sly.

@Kurkistan, your puns are like the light in the storm that dispels the mists of the city of the gods.

Also, all this has made me realize that I actually kind of like it when Brandon is wrong about stuff (on signings). Because we hear what he says there, take it for canon, run with it, make our theories, and then when he comes back to us and gives us the correct information, it feels like he has said something new.

Thank you for the kind words, Argent, but you ain't seen nothing yet.

I, for one, do not like it when my delicately crafted webs of theory are revealed to be empty due to a (understandable, but still not good) misunderstanding. Then again, I've never Invested much of myself into talk of Surges/Orders, so I'm fairly neutral on this particular point. :P

Ok, I finally have my questions that I asked Brandon transcribed virtually verbatim.  I only removed some umms and redundancies.  I am going to put each question into it's own quote bubble for clarity.  So, here they are (this will be a long-ish post):

Q: In the Kaladin-Jost sparring flashback, does Kaladin feel the Thrill?

A: Did Kaladin feel the Thrill that, Whaoo, that’s a good question.  I’m gonna RAFO that one because something odd is happening there that I don’t want to get into yet.

Q: At the Battle of the Tower, the Thrill Dalinar describes seems different from previously described Thrills.  Is something different happening here?

A: Something different is happening.

Q: When burning duralumin to enhance another metal’s burn, does a mistborn get only the sum total of the power of the other metal in a single burst or does he get more than just the sum?

A: I would have to make sure and look, but my original intention was the sum.

Q: Ok, because the thing I was wondering about is Elend with the duralumin atium burn because it seemed more than just the sum of a bead of atium.

A: Right, but the thing you have to keep in mind is the thing I’m kind of looking at having it all happen in a moment.  So let’s say you have enough steel to burn for an hour.  If you reduce a plane to a point it’s infinite, does that make sense.   And so it’s very hard to say is it the sum when you are going from a defined amount into a point, I mean a point is infinitely small.  Does that make sense?

Q: When a twinborn burns a charged metalmind, does he choose between getting the allomantic effect or the compounding effect or does he just get the compounding effect or does he get both?

A: Umm…drr drr drr…I believe it is only the compounded effect.

Q: If you shot Miles with pewter bullets through the heart, would the bullets become hemalurgically charged and remove Miles’s bloodmaking ability?

A: Umm, you would have to get them in exactly the right place.

Q: Oh, so it’s more than just the heart, it’s got to be the right place in the heart?

A: Well, you have to, it’s like acupuncture.  A hemalurgic spike has to be specifically placed.

Q: Well, I don’t mean for placement. I just mean for making Miles a donor.

A: You could hemalurgically steal Miles’s power.

Q: With pewter bullets?

A: I don’t know that bullets would work.  But they might.  How about this, it is theoretically possible to do what you just described.  If you knew what you were doing,  because intention is part of a lot of the magic system.  Intention is involved.  It’s tricky because Ruin did it to people who didn’t know what they were doing, but…

Q: But, Ruin intended to do it, though.

A: But, Ruin intended to do it and knows how to manipulate it so that intentions would happen.  Intention is very important, if you read through the magics, to a lot of them.

Q: It is part of the cognitive aspect.

A: Yes.

Q: Hemalurgically stealing an attribute from someone is usually fatal to the donor.  Is that because of the damage to their spiritweb or from the physical damage from the spiking itself?

A: Umm, I would say both.

Q: Could a Nalthian with the proper knowledge and skill create a hemalurgic spike by spiking a Rosharan having some spikeable attribute?

A: Umm, Hemalurgy is of great interest in the Cosmere because it was designed and can be used by anyone on any of the planets who has the right intention.  It is of great interest to people for that reason so the answer to your question is: it can be done.

I should followed up a little on a couple of the questions, but I was not quick enough on my feet.  I will be posting the other Q&A's from other people in the line after I transcribe them.  Wetlander had some great questions she said I could post and I may be able to flesh out some of karaoke's and hoser's answers.  There were a couple of other people that gave me permission to post their answers as well.  So, more to come.

Edited by Shardlet

Nicely done, Shardlet. :D

Commentary:

-Thrill info is interesting.

-Definitive answer that Duralumin doesn't add any power to the burn (*pats self on back*). Nice to have. :)

-Answer to the compounder question was surprising to me. Maybe even incorrect? He seemed more than a tad hesitant, and the insta-burn of even Invested Aluminum suggests the necessity of some Allomantic burn rather strongly.

-Info on Hemalurgy is very interesting. Nails down that you don't need any special metals or magic or people to get the job done. Intention, though, gives us the reason why Miles can get away with letting himself by shot and stabbed and blown up all the time without ever getting unlucky: no one is trying to create spikes, so they never get created.

-Definitive answer that Duralumin doesn't add any power to the burn (*pats self on back*). Nice to have. :)

Although, it does in a sense since it essentially brings the power to an essentially infinite level by expending the entire quantity of the power in an actual instant rather than a second, half-second, nanosecond, femtosecond, etc.

Also The Duraluminum is the DIRAC DELTA FUNCTION it is like an infinity at one point that ends up being just one when you add it up over time instead of infinity like if you press the pedal to the medal in your super magic car you go from 0 kph to 100 kph in 0 seconds so you have INFINITY accel but you dont go INFINITY distance

Shardlet That Is great but I still sort of wish I knew about how trees go because that would be cool to be doing mechanical magic you just get a bunch of trees no need to hurt snyone just take the health of a tree that can live for 5000 years and you are fine.

I get what you mean.  But, It seems that this will have different effects depending on what metal you are burning.  With steel or iron the effect is going to be more definite.  But, this better explains what happened with Elend and the atium bead.  The effect of that atium burn was compressed into an instant, which yielded an effect that was essentially infinite and let gave him a massive info dump.  With tin, the rush of sensory input would overwhelm your brain.  With steel we see Vin chuck a dozen or so horses and riders without an effective anchor.  With brass or zinc we see control over Kandra and Koloss or complete emotional flatlining or extreming of humans.  With practice, who knows what could be accomplished with duralumin enhanced emotional metals.  Duralumin pewter makes you virtually invulnerable for that instant.

Totally. The compression gets you crazy instants of crazy power, the uses of which we've barely explored. I just want to emphasize that the Duralumin doesn't contribute to that power. The awesome affects are instead a function of how high the bandwidth is for that instant--like when a Feruchemists "Hulks out"--rather than an increase in the final amount of power getting through.