Hoid's Real Name?

FeatherWriter

4 minutes ago, The Invested Beard said:

I think the wording of the question should be what is his original name. Real name could be taken too broadly.

Maybe birth name? Either one will probably just get a RAFO though

Edited by Storms!

This thread makes me wish the The Liar of Partinel samples were still available. I read it so long ago that my memories of fain life have gone all white and fuzzy. I can also never unlearn of Kaladin the Paladin.

On topic: I think Hoid may not have an original name. Even if he did, I don't think it's significant because Hoid is more about being true to his essence than being labeled.

Liar plot details:

Spoiler

When we meet him as Midius in Liar, he's an apprentice to an old hermit dude named Hoid. Hermit Hoid is summoned for a quest then dies. Midius is now the last truthbender, so he takes on his master's name and heads out on his first big boy quest.

So, in a sense, taking the name Hoid was symbolic of taking the responsibility/role/title of his master. The other names I can remember follow suit as being types of titles.

Cephandrius Maxtori is "a long term identity." Identity is more descriptive of a person's role than a name would be, so my tinfoil belief is that this was some sort of descriptive title in a crazy space language. Cephal is a Latin root for head/skull/brain, Darius is a Persian name meaning possessor or king, and max implies biggest. Smush those together, change some letters, cross your eyes, make a bunch of assumptions about God Emperor Sanderson's intentions, and it's OBVIOUSLY a bragging title about being smart and not a proper name.

Speaking of which: Roamer, Dust, Wit, and Drifter are descriptions of attributes or roles that he possesses. He drifts and roams like dust in the wind, protected only by his razor wit.

That leaves Topaz. All I can say for that is that it feels more like a title than a name. Gems are often attached to power in the Cosmere, so maybe he was known for his awesome magic topaz so people started calling him Topaz. I feel like there's a WoB out there actually saying it was because he wore a Topaz.

Lunu'anaki doesn't count. Rock just called him that once.

So, these are all titles/attributes/roles. Not names. For all we know, Midius was a title bestowed by his master, Sith style. For all we know, Hoid was originally some nameless orphan nicknamed Stabby Pip who was adopted by a crazy wizard because he was a good liar. All in all, from his conversations with Shallan, it seems he's more into the idea that what's inside a person (their *ahem* intent) is far more important to that person's identity than the label on that person. So, if we ever learn his original name, my bet is that it won't matter. In fact, that'll probably be the point.

• Chaos locked this topic