Legion II

Argent

• 2 months later...

I cannot speak for anyone else, but I thought that Legion did not feel like a complete story the way Alcatraz I, Steelheart, and The Rithmatist did.

In each of the novellas with a dedicated subforum we are introduced to a new fantastical world, we get to know the main character and see him develop over the course of the novel.  For Legion we are shown a world that is very much like ours (with a few fantastical elements) and Steven Leeds is the same person at the end of the story that he was at the beginning.  

Steven's primary desires and goals are hinted at, but never really developed.  For example, we learn that things can get bad if he takes too many hallucinations on an excursion, but we only get a hint of what those bad things are.  We learn that there is someone that may know more about what is going on with Steven's hallucinations, but we don't know who she is or what she knows or even if she does know anything unusual.

Altogether, Legion to me feels more like a television series pilot than a novel.

I cannot speak for anyone else, but I thought that Legion did not feel like a complete story the way Alcatraz I, Steelheart, and The Rithmatist did.

In each of the novellas with a dedicated subforum we are introduced to a new fantastical world, we get to know the main character and see him develop over the course of the novel.  For Legion we are shown a world that is very much like ours (with a few fantastical elements) and Steven Leeds is the same person at the end of the story that he was at the beginning.  

It also should be noted that the Rithmatist, Steelheart, and Alcatraz are novels not novellas.

It also should be noted that the Rithmatist, Steelheart, and Alcatraz are novels not novellas.

Thanks, I am never quite sure what books fall under what classification.

Even so, I feel that even some of Brandon's shorter works feel more complete then Legion.

Firstborn -

Dennison starts out lacking in confidence and skill. In the end he gains confidence and defeats his brother at his own game.

Defending Elysium - 

Jason starts off trying to solve a mystery and believes humans are barbaric.  He solves the mystery and decides that humanity has the right idea after all.

Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell - 

Silence starts off under a load of debt, and she has a conflict with her daughter regarding how much danger is appropriate to share.  By the end she is able to collect her bounty and defend herself from her attacker/creditor.  She also saved her daughter after being saved by her daughter.

In Legion the main character starts off wanting to find and talk to the woman that helped him control his powers and by the end he has a week lead that might eventually lead him where she is hiding.

Well, Firstborn is somewhat of a special case.  In my opinion it is the most character-driven of his works that I can think of off the top of my head.  And, as Topomouse pointed out, Legion is/was intended to be essentially an episodic procedural crime show.  Legion was written to be a pilot show in order to sell the idea to studios.  The scope of the plot is far more limited in its importance to the world it is set in than most (if not all) of Brandon's other works.  And, as you pointed out, you have a small plot-line to over-arch the entire series (the search for the woman), but this plot is not integral to the story line of the novella (at ~18,000 words it is on the extreme short end of the novella range).

Yeah, with Legion Brandon is experimenting with a different format of storytelling. It's more like a serial than a series...but I'm not sure you could even call it a serial because a true serial probably wouldn't have finished off the Isreal mission in one book, and would have been even shorter than Legion was. So yes, it's like Shardlet said, episodic. 

• 1 month later...

If you look at Brandon's website today, you can see that the title for the sequel is called "Deep Skin" and that he already wrote 40 procent of the book, which probably means its going to be a novella again. I'm not sure how to feel about that; I tought Legion was good as a concept, but the story was just to damnation short to be good. It felt unfinished and the fast pacing made the story too rushed. 

Well, I sure didn't mean the story was bad, just that I felt it was too rushed. Brandon is just not the type of author to write short books. The Emperor's Soul was fantastic, but again, to rushed. Now he has finished WOR and Firefight, which book is he going to write next? The Rithmatist II? I hope so :)

• 3 weeks later...

I hope Deep Skin is released the same way he did the first book.  It was a great little package.  The news this could be Emperor's Soul length is exciting.  I only reread Legion the other day and it reminded me how much of a tease it was and how much I want to spend more time in that world.