Limelight

A question that's been lurking around in my mind for quite some time now is that are you born an epic or is there a certain age at which you become a epic.

I have my doubts about David being an epic.. i mean he's definitely not one yet but if there is a certain age or a specific time in your life that triggers you becoming a epic then theres a chance David will become an epic in future sequels. 

Epics have only been around 11 to 12 years, so since we haven't seen an Epic that young, we've never met anyone who was born Epic. It's possible there are some.

I don't know that we've got enough information to know when someone might turn Epic. I can't find my copy of the book at the moment, but in the prologue I'm fairly sure David says something about "people started turning into Epics." The phrasing isn't crystal clear, but suggests to me that "people turning Epic" is something that still happens, not like every Epic turned at once.

If so, back when the first five chapters got teased, I told my best friend that that's what would scare me the most about that world. The idea that I could get struck with Epic-ness, and suddenly be evil. I'd walk around everywhere paranoid that it was gonna happen to me that day.

That's just left more questions as to what triggers the humans to become epics...like i know calamity but what traits does it look for in humans or if age is a factor and if they were good before they became epics or is it like just full-out power that corrupts them.But if that were the case shouldn't lesser epics be less evil that higher epics when their actually just as evil.

So many questions....Sanderson always does this, cant wait for firefight!!

I'm not sure there is an age at which you become an epic. I'm of the opinion that Firefight has been an epic for quite a while, and then there are other epics that obviously became epics much later in life. Personally, I wouldn't worry about suddenly becoming an epic. Why should I? As long as I continue to use my powers, I'll never regret a moment of it.

PS: Your worries are baseless Limelight, you're already an epic...though, I must say, you look nothing like I imagined.

I, too, got the impression that it just sort of strikes randomly, and is ongoing, rather like the Shaod. I don't think it's commonly known that using the powers makes you evil directly. I wondered if, rather than people living in fear that they would be "struck down" as an Epic and become evil, people would think to themselves that if THEY ever became an Epic, THEY would resist the temptation to abuse their powers, and THEY would finally be the superhero everyone had been waiting for. If such a person were ever turned Epic, I wonder if they would notice at all as their first forrays into exploring their new abilities turned them, and if they would care, even for a moment, before just giving in. I think that could be an awesome short story, not that Brandon doesn't already have enough else on his plate.

Epics have only been around 11 to 12 years, so since we haven't seen an Epic that young, we've never met anyone who was born Epic. It's possible there are some.

I don't know that we've got enough information to know when someone might turn Epic. I can't find my copy of the book at the moment, but in the prologue I'm fairly sure David says something about "people started turning into Epics." The phrasing isn't crystal clear, but suggests to me that "people turning Epic" is something that still happens, not like every Epic turned at once.

Rick'o Shea the Epic with powers similar to the Gauss Gun was described as a newer Epic as well. As in not one from the first couple of years before the US government collapsed.

• Chaos locked this topic