Lerasium- the preservation metal

Cartith

In allomancy, atium is both the fastest burning metal and the most destructive. This is because it is of Ruin.

I propose that Lerasium has an opposite effect in hemalurgy. When alloyed with another metal into a spike,
I believe that it hold the charge at max charge forever, as it preserves the power. (EDIT: Taking into mind Kadrok's reply, an alternate, if severely over powered idea, would be that instead of taking the power completely, the power is copied, therefor preserving the power of the person who would normally be losing power. However, this could be balanced by the rarity of lerasium. I don't fully believe this, but its a possibility.)

In feruchemy, there is a diminishing return after a certain point, because it comes from preservation and ruin. However, if drawing strength from a lerasium+pewter alloy metal mind, I believe it will give a full return on the power even after that point, as it preserves the power, while still having a max on how much you could store at one time.

Atium alloys in feruchemy, on the opposite side, would allow you to store with no max rate, but drawing from that metal mind would have a much greater diminished return.

Edited by Cartith

Some interesting ideas there. Up-vote. I particularly like that rather than suggest that Godmetal-alloy-Feruchemy stores different traits, it stores the same traits in different ways. I haven't seen that suggested elsewhere, but I could be wrong. It fits with the effect of burning an Atium Gold alloy - same effect but in a different way.

My only objection is that in Hemalurgy an Atium spike depletes far more slowly than other spikes, and for Lerasium to do the same but better seems odd.

instead of taking the power completely, the power is copied, therefor preserving the power of the person who would normally be losing power.

So, unlike normal hemallurgy, a lerasium-alloy spike would not kill the donor? Cuz if it leaves him his power but kills him anyway, that would not technically help much.

I think Sanderson has said before that hemalurgy does not necessarily kill, hasn't he? I'll try to find citation. 

EDIT: My college's internet is having networking issues, which is causing a very slow internet speed. It might not be until later that I can find a quote.

EDIT AGAIN: Found it. 

BRANDON SANDERSON (PARAPHRASED)

One does not have to kill someone with Hemalurgy to charge a spike, but it rips off a large part of the soul. The person would not be the same.

source: http://www.theoryland.com/intvsresults.php?kw=hemalurgy. Question #42

Edited by Cartith

My only objection is that in Hemalurgy an Atium spike depletes far more slowly than other spikes

I have heard this a couple of times in the last week, but have never heard it before that.  Do you have a source for this? 

My only objection is that in Hemalurgy an Atium spike depletes far more slowly than other spikes, and for Lerasium to do the same but better seems odd.

Yeah. My own idea for Lerasium spikes is that you can't put them in people, but you can eat them and burn them to permanently get the power. Or maybe you can spike someone with it, but their body would just absorb it and it would go away.

It would have to be weaker than an Atium spike to be fair, but it wouldn't have the mental downsides of having spikes in you.

Yeah. My own idea for Lerasium spikes is that you can't put them in people, but you can eat them and burn them to permanently get the power.

That... actually fits pretty well with what we know of Lerasium, how it can re-write your sDNA but has a default option.

Atium allows one to see into the future, it stores age, and can be used as a wild card spike...

Lerasium rewrites spiritual web DNA to make one a mistborn. The other characteristics are unknown. 

I say this because seeing into the future and storing temporal youth seem to go together well as being temporal powers, but a wild card spike does not. Maybe this is because Hemuralgy is special with Atium the physical body of ruin. 

Lerasium in this case would be special with allomancy and its feruchemy and hemuralgy would be categorized together

If I had to guess, I would speculate the following:

- that a lerasium spike would steal a trait, while leaving the original body intact. Like it would steal a power, but not harm the person spiritually. Just copy the effect. I.E. you spike a thug, gain the power to burn pewter, but they retain the ability. It would go along with the idea of preservation. No idea if there would be a limit on what it could steal. 

Feruchemically speaking then, I would guess you could store something that preserves life. Atium minds store youth, counteracting the effects of aging (AKA the effects of ruin on your body). So in that logic a lerasium mind would store something that counters the effects of preservation on your body. (Love (emotion)?, fertility?, instinct?, etc?)

just speculations haha thanks for reading

• Chaos locked this topic