Poll: Blade vs. Plate

11thorderknight

Just a fun poll for those of us with time to kill: if you were a Rosharan noble and could choose whether to own a Shardblade or Shardplate (but not both), which would you choose?

My thinking: if you had only one or the other, Plate is definitely more useful in war. It's not as flashy as a Blade, but it pretty much lets you walk through an enemy army unharmed, and gives you the strength to pretty much be a walking tank. Even if the enemy's eyes don't burn when you smack them, they're still just as dead. A Blade, while badass, leaves you open to injury like a regular person, and in a large-scale conflict you'd definitely be taken down eventually. A Blade, however, is probably better against another Shardbearer, since it at least gives you a fighting chance to touch the guy. Also, it can be kept hidden, which can be nice, and you're never without it. Plate, however, has to be taken on and off, and requires transport, storage, money for gems, attendants, etc. Unless you're paranoid and sleep in it, you're always vulnerable at some point.

If I had to pick, I'd take the Blade and keep it hidden, but it's a close call. And if I had to acknowledge the shard publicly, I'd probably choose Plate.

I'd take a Blade. Unless you're a KR, you have to get outfitted in plate before each battle. Unless your Dalinar Kholin, you only wear your plate in battle. With a Blade, I'm always armed even if no one can see it. I can cut through any obstruction, so I'm not likely to get trapped, and I would be able to put up a good fight against most opponents. I could even theoretically kill me a thunderclast.

I get a smaller one like Szeths, and you get a gigantic one. ;)

Seriously though, Shardblades are much lighter than steel. The difficulty with a large Shardblade is more a matter of its mass than its weight. 

Yeah, I'm torn. The Blade is so convenient, but the Plate is so dummy-proof! Lack of sword skill would probably lead me to choose Plate.

This is actually a pretty good point if your going to go into battle. The Plate would be much more advantageous to an inexperienced warrior than the blade would. After all, wielding a hammer doesn't require as much skill or training as a sword. This isn't to say that skill and training aren't advantageous to have, but that you can get away with having less skill with bludgeoning weapons and still be effective.

Seriously though, Shardblades are much lighter than steel. The difficulty with a large Shardblade is more a matter of its mass than its weight. 

I think the size would be the trickiest aspect of it.  For all intents and purposes, on a planet, mass and weight are the same.  (Yes, I know Roshar has reduced gravity and momentum is independent of weight but not mass).  Also, I haven't seen the mass or the weight of a blade being discussed in the book.  The fact that a blade can be effectively weilded without plate (evidence, Lyss, although it is not inconceivable that she has a blade similar to Szeth's) suggests that the mass and weight of a blade is not a particular issue.

I'd take a Blade. Unless you're a KR, you have to get outfitted in plate before each battle. Unless your Dalinar Kholin, you only wear your plate in battle. With a Blade, I'm always armed even if no one can see it. I can cut through any obstruction, so I'm not likely to get trapped, and I would be able to put up a good fight against most opponents. I could even theoretically kill me a thunderclast.

On the other hand, once your plate is equipped, you don't need to worry about someone giving your hand a hard smack and disarming you for the next ten seconds.

Blade is niftier, but Plate is more practical for a war zone.  In a lot of ways it's just a defense vs offense decision.  So if I thought I was going to be in a place where threats would be approaching at any times from any direction, I'd go with Plate.  If I was living a fairly normal daily life, I'd go with Blade, because it's always on hand, and you never know when you might need to cut through something really big.

Also, why title the thread as "Poll" and not use the actual poll function?

Assuming I'm Alethi nobility, but not undergoing a gender change, I think I'll go with the blade. I'm really more of a defensive person, so I'd prefer plate, but since everyone knows it's "unnatural" for women to be interested in war, I'd probably be expected to give my plate to my nearest male relative, like a good Vorin girl. So I'll pull a Shallan and have a secret shardblade.

/>Assuming I'm Alethi nobility, but not undergoing a gender change, I think I'll go with the blade. I'm really more of a defensive person, so I'd prefer plate, but since everyone knows it's "unnatural" for women to be interested in war, I'd probably be expected to give my plate to my nearest male relative, like a good Vorin girl. So I'll pull a Shallan and have a secret shardblade.

Solid reasoning there upvote coming at you for going for a great in universe answer. Now hopefully you didn't get it from killing your evil dad.

My first instinct is a blade, but as I think about it, it all depends on what kind of a scenario I'm in. As has been said, if I was on a battlefield, I would probably want plate, but normal life, a blade.

But give me gold or pewter, and I'd take a blade any day. ;) even if they wouldn't heal me or enhance my strength that fast, I have a blade that destroys the soul of anything it cuts.

Assuming I'm Alethi nobility, but not undergoing a gender change, I think I'll go with the blade. I'm really more of a defensive person, so I'd prefer plate, but since everyone knows it's "unnatural" for women to be interested in war, I'd probably be expected to give my plate to my nearest male relative, like a good Vorin girl. So I'll pull a Shallan and have a secret shardblade.

My reasoning as well. A girl's gotta hold on to the advantages she can get! Plate's bulky too, and takes a while to put on. Blades are in your hand in ten heartbeats everytime. (I think I'd probably just summon and then drop my shardblade a lot whenever I was alone just to see it coalesce and dissapate. That's got to be incredibly cool to see/do!)

Not to mention, I'm always more a fan of agility and dexterity in a fighting style over strength and power. Plate may be more protective/usefull/easier to use, what have you, but I'm gonna say, an unPlated Blade wielder is so incredibly awesome and beautiful in the most amazing way. Szeth's fight scenes would be so amazing to see, and I'm praying that Shallan will have an excuse to learn to use hers too!

I'd take Shardplate. Then I'd go looking for some other Shardbearer that has only a Shardblade, and take it for my own once I've killed him. We know Shardplate can survive at least one full-on blow from a Shardblade on just about any individual piece. So even if my opponent wears the best normal full plate armor money can buy, that won't be of much use when I grasp his Shardblade with my gauntlet as he tries to slash at me, step in, and punch him in the breasplate or helmet with my other gauntlet. Given the power of Shardplate-enhanced physical blows, I'll probably crush his chest through his armor, or make his head all but explode in his helm. And then voilà, I'm a full Shardbearer.

I'd take Shardplate. Then I'd go looking for some other Shardbearer that has only a Shardblade, and take it for my own once I've killed him. We know Shardplate can survive at least one full-on blow from a Shardblade on just about any individual piece. So even if my opponent wears the best normal full plate armor money can buy, that won't be of much use when I grasp his Shardblade with my gauntlet as he tries to slash at me, step in, and punch him in the breasplate or helmet with my other gauntlet. Given the power of Shardplate-enhanced physical blows, I'll probably crush his chest through his armor, or make his head all but explode in his helm. And then voilà, I'm a full Shardbearer.

Well I hope you don't pick Szeth to try your luck against.

I'd personally prefer a blade myself.  I'd rather have a hidden weapon than a visible defense.

This is exactly what I was getting at - in a fight, having Plate is a bigger advantage than having a Blade. The advantage of the Blade is that you always have it on you and it can't be stolen, and is easy to hide, whereas Plate has to be cared for, costs gems/money to fuel and repair, and must be elaborately put on and taken off.