[SPOILER] Did Firefight know the secret?

Oudeis

So, Conflux knew that he couldn't gift to other Epics. Presumably, so did Steelheart. I can't think of a reason he wouldn't have shared that knowledge with his bodyguards, Nightwielder and Firefight.

The Prof told Megan the same lie he told everyone else, that his 'gifting' was really just tech based on study of Epics. Is it likely she figured out the truth?

I have two theories. One is this. She realized she couldn't work the tech, and suspected, even if she couldn't prove it, that she was being directly gifted the powers, which is why it failed. Once you suspect, and especially if you yourself are an Epic, one who spends a lot of time with other Epics, would it be long before you deduced the Prof's secret?

Other theory. The Prof is unlike any other Epic, ever. In so many ways. Megan didn't seem aware of the fact that Epics will stop acting like d-bags if they refrain from using their powers. She knew the tech was based on Epics, but since she's confident that she knows how Epics act, she'd be wrongly certain that no one there was an Epic. She might just dismiss her concerns by assuming the tech worked on a principle similar to gifting, which is why it didn't work.

I guess the crux between the two theories is, how much time did she spend with Conflux? He's a gifter who doesn't directly use his own powers and acts more like a human than an Epic. If she knew about him, she'd probably draw the connection between him and the Prof, and figure it out.

Thoughts? Anything else I'm forgetting?

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't read too much into that. Most Epics have multiple powers, and while it's hard to put a number on exotic powers like matter disintegration, Conflux powered all of Newcago's heavy military equipment and provided much of the power needed for Newcago to operate, which is even larger than you might expect because it's shrouded in perpetual night.

Pertuity had multiple powers, SH had multiple powers, FF has multiple powers, Nightwielder had multiple powers, the illusionist they killed outside Davids apartment had multiple powers. Sure, they aren't gifters, but I'd see gifting as an additional power set. I don't think the Prof could gift the entire planet, I think his ability to gift is finite and based on his personal power level in those abilities. We don't know that Conflux has a single power, and in fact I'd feel pretty confident that he has a secondary power that makes him immune to electrical attacks.

• Chaos locked this topic