I think we might be getting tripped up by some terminology. I think you have categories of names that we are getting mixed up: Orders, powers, and surges.

For example: Order = Windrunners, Powers= Lashings, Surges = Gravity and Pressure.

Similarly, "Soulcasting" is the power, but "transformation" is the surge that enables it.

Based on the way Brandon described it, ("Shallan has transformation and Lightweaving") I'm not sure that "Lightweaver" is an Order or a Surge, I think it is the Power, fueled by one or more Surges. Lightweaving as a surge doesn't follow the pattern of the other surges at all. And "having Lightweaving" would be a weird thing to say if it were the name of the Order.

This is how Szeth can use Lashings without being a Windrunner, and Hoid can use Lightweaving without being a [whatever Order uses Lightweaving].

I'm pretty sure we have confirmation that "Lightweavers" is a Radiant Order (we do).  Personally I see the Lightweaving as a manifestation of a "Light" surge.  Why one order associated with it gets the name, I dunno.

Also, as far as I remember Hoid has access to Yolen Lightweaving not Roshar Lightweaving.  We know they are analogous manifestations of investiture that has something to do illusions but presumably they have different sources.

Ah, good call. 

Also, based on the forces still unaccounted for, I'm guessing the 2nd surge for Order 7 is electricity/electromagnetism. Transformation wouldn't really account for Jasnah's lightning trick. (sorry if this is super obvious, but I didn't see it on the table in the OP)

It's been some time since I read that scene but as far as I remember Jasnah didn't shoot lightning at all. She shot stormlight in a shape Shallan thought looked like lightning and when the stormlight touched the muggers, they transformed. That could mean that power came from a combination of two surges. Or it could simply be that non-fabrial Soulcasting also works from a distance.

PS. I don't disagree electromagnetism could be a surge, I have it on my own table as either the 8th or the 9th surge. I'm just saying I don't think it had anything to do with what Jasnah did.

Edited by cem

I second that - remember, we've seen Szeth "throw" stormlight at objects in order to Invest them with altered gravity in a couple of his battle scenes......i think it was described as sort of like throwing paint at a wall. Just because people using fabrials need to touch an object in order to soulcast it doesn't mean that a Radiant would have to. It probably is less efficient in using stormlight though, which contributed to her gem cracking.

As for magnetism - it could definitely be Surge 7/8, since the 8th order is associated with metal. I've noticed that from what we've seen, most of the orders have one of their surges that are somewhat more thematically appropriate than the other one. The Windrunners seem to be an exception, both Gravity and Pressure fit pretty well, but that's probably because they were the first to be placed on the chart and Brandon had more freedom with them. For the rest...Skybreakers certainly fits with Pressure, but not as much with Heat or whatever it will be called. We don't know exactly what Stonewards will have, but Travel is a strong contender given the Starfalls vision. Which is fine, but does that really fit thematically with stone? And with Order 4...well, let's just say their surges are a thematic stretch. I'm not being negative, just saying that what orders it's next to in the chart isn't completely predictive of what a surge will be. 

Anyway, along those lines....I think Transformation actually fits really well at 6/7, because it's the border of Water and Oil...two things that don't mix, and require a transition to go from one to the other. But light at 5/6 is totally random, especially since crystal/lucentia is #4 and i really expected it to be at 3/4 or 4/5. So, basically what i'm saying is that we have no idea what 7/8 will be.

@Askthepaperclip Unfortuantely we have WoB that Jasnah's second surge is neither Light nor Electromagnetism

@11thorderknight I would say Light as 5/6 is "totally random" 5 is Pulp/plant-life which is basically dependent on light.  Also so far on my table I've noticed that odd-numbered Orders have surges that match better while even-numbered Orders have mismatched surges.

@11thorderknight I would say Light as 5/6 is "totally random" 5 is Pulp/plant-life which is basically dependent on light.  Also so far on my table I've noticed that odd-numbered Orders have surges that match better while even-numbered Orders have mismatched surges.

Uh, maybe. I wouldn't call it much of a pattern at this point but odd numbers do seem to have more of a similarity between their pairs of surges. Though, to be honest Steelhunt surges are so mismatched that it could be making me prejudiced in this.

Edited by cem

Uh, maybe. I wouldn't call it much of a pattern at this point but odd numbers do seem to have more of a similarity between their pairs of surges. Though, to be honest Steelhunt surges are so mismatched that it could be making me prejudiced in this.

Umm... Steelhunt spoilers shouldn't be posed...

You're right though, its just a pattern I noticed.  Whether or not is real or not is another matter.

Edit: fix the quote to match cem's edit

Edited by WeiryWriter

• Chaos locked this topic