If you were an Epic?

Carcinios

• 2 weeks later...

Name: Sapien

Powers: Whatever it is, I'm the best in the room (for outside lets assume 50m). The smartest, the hottest, the fightiest. I can also gift this ability, but it can only work while they're in the same room as me, and they'll be the second best or third best, depending on the number of people I gift. This doesn't work on epic abilities, and things like attractiveness would be perceptive only, with no actual physical change. I can't use it to gain specific knowledge, so I can't be "the most biology-knowingest", but I can be the guy with the highest IQ or spatial awareness. My secondary power is the ability to affect sensation while touching a person - I can make them feel on fire, or like there are bugs on them, but they won't see or hear those things, only feel them.

Weakness: Other Epics. Being near something I can't be the best at turns off my powers as long as they're in my range

Brand of Evil: Subtle manipulation. I like joining a group of friends and using my gifting to play them off each other with jealousy.

Outfit: Civvies, because my powers aren't suited to making myself known in any way.

Edited by thefunkindofevil

Primary Power: Precision terraforming (not the right term, but 'terraforming' sounds cool). I control completely the attributes of chunks of earth (limited in size to 100 square meters at a time, maximum). I can change its composition, state of matter, and other defining factors, as long as the chunks remain in a form that is currently found within the planet. This allows me to transmute metals into other metals, transform solid rock into flowing lava, and create sand from the sturdiest of structures. As 'attributes' includes spatial position, telekinetic-like movement and shaping of earth is also easily performed.

Secondary Power: Transmutation of metals into other metals leaves their atoms unstable and highly volatile. These atoms can be chosen at will to release their energy in small-scale nuclear explosions.

Second Secondary Power: Cannot be harmed by materials that found their origins beneath the planet's surface.

Weakness: Besides having no prime invincibility (though that second secondary power helps me feel much more secure in my survivability), my notable weakness is that my powers lessen drastically in proportion to my distance from solid ground. Get me high (very high, if you want to be super safe, as my abilities are still considerable even when weakened) into the air or far out at sea, and I'll be a disappointingly underwhelming opponent. Good luck discovering this weakness on your own, though, even if it is logical in retrospect.

Cheesy name: Ashflow (I don't care that it's not a perfect description, I'm extremely attached to this name :P )

Costume: Incredibly dense, yet highly mobile, metal plate armor. In the form of a knight's armor, adorned with prismatic diamonds, and with intricate designs made of lava rivulets flowing throughout the plates. Although mostly just my arrogant showmanship, the lava's heat does make close combat uncomfortable for my opponents. While designed to be both impressive and practical, it should be noted that maintenance of the armor detracts a bit from my allotted volume of controllable earth.

In what ways am I a total *******? I enjoy the beauty of destruction, though I realize that destruction is only beautiful when delivered sparingly. Therefore, I only go on total rampages rarely. But when I'm in the mood for beauty, I will spare no one and bring Ruin indiscriminately.

Quirks/Misc.: Despite my incredible destructive capabilities, I generally challenge myself to complete my objectives using my powers with effective or showy (preferably both, whenever possible) ingenuity. I'm delighted with clever opponents, but will unleash my true wrath on those that I am forced to admit are cleverer than myself, both as a logical precaution and as an emotional expression of my insecurity. My atomic explosions are my trump card, and I only rely on them when desperate or in one of my rampages. Also fond of traps for my enemies, preferably to be placed as excessively and humiliatingly as possible.

Essentially, I'm the world's most terrifying earthbender to ever experience the glory of a Calamitous existence.

(Not sure if this has been done before or not :V)

Primary: Can "gift" Epics to suppress their powers temporarily 

Weakness: Epics feel threatened in his presence- and will be more aggressive towards him 

Cheesy Name: Nullify

Inevitable Evil: Constantly feeling vulnerable to Epics and abusing his powers causes Nullify to become more cowardly and twisted- concerned only for self-preservation.

Primary power: Omnipotence, complete manipulative capabilities of the entire universe.
Weakness: The universe, being inside the universe renders his powers completely useless.
Epic name: The Infinitely Infinitesimal

Edited by Voidus

New idea for an Epic... still fleshing it out. Haven't decided on any secondary powers or his weakness, but I know his primary power, how he uses it, and his name.

Atlantis.

His primary power is polymorphism with few limits. The biggest one is that he has be matter, he cannot be energy. Beyond that, he can change into any shape.

The reason he's called Atlantis is because the shape he's taken on, and pretty much never leaves, is that of an enormous ship roughly the size of Manhattan.

He is the entire ship. Part of his shapeshifting allows him to construct mini-brains throughout himself, so for example he has the pumping station where he uses his massive muscles to force water through turbines to provide limitless electricity. This whole section is controlled by a very, very simple brain. Its job is to basically keep this one simple motion going forever, to deal with four or five common, simple issues, and if a set of heuristics tells it that something has "gone wrong" it halts the entire operation and sends a signal along the nervous system to his primary consciousness asking for more direct assistance.

He travels the oceans of the world, occasionally attacking coastal cities for fun. Perhaps he's a trade magnate.

I'm still working on secondary powers, his weakness, and a cast of lesser Epics who work for him on the ship. Trying to avoid the urge to go munchkiny and give him complementary secondary powers... his main power is pretty OP as it is.

His Prime Invincibility is basically his size. You'd have to hit him with enough nukes to vaporize all of his mass at once. As a polymorph without limit, if even just as much of him as it would take to make a person survives, he can swell back into a city within an hour. He can also survive as smaller than human, so he could turn into a hummingbird and try to escape. Smaller than a hummingbird is problematic. Technically this means you don't need to know his weakness to kill him, since he's theoretically killable as-is, but it's functionally impossible through conventional means.

I do know he tries to obfuscate his weakness by enacting a long list of arbitrary restrictions. No gemstones other than green ones are allowed on board. Whistling "Camptown Races" is punishable by death. In fact, if you observe someone whistling Camptown Races and don't personally try to strangle that man until he dies, you are to be put to death. No pet birds over the age of five and a half or Dachshunds younger than four are allowed on board, and just no cats period. That sort of thing. Maybe one of those hundred things is his weakness. Maybe one of them is a part of his weakness. Maybe they're all just a trap to trick people into looking into the wrong things.

Cheesy name:  Wiseacre

Primary power:  Proximity competence.  Is mentally as proficient in any given subject as anybody who is within visual range or earshot.  This includes somebody communicating from afar via a mobile or even an Epic Power, and works in either direction -- if you can see him *or* if he can see you.  Even if you don't actually see/hear him, what matters is that you could.  If not practiced, the proficiency will leave when the subject does.

Does not specifically gain muscle density or superpowers or the like, nor does it confer specific factual knowledge.  For instance, Wiseacre might gain mathematical skill around a mathematician, and even some esoteric knowledge about mathematicians and the history of mathematics.  However, Wiseacre does not have an equal proficiency at remembering what you had for lunch yesterday as you do.  That's specific knowledge, rather than proficiency.  This said, if your lunch was broadcast on reality TV, and an avid fan of the show was watching, then he may very well know.  Also, people may generally be considered proficient in their own autobiography, so Wiseacre will have some general knowledge of your history.

Secondary power:  Practicing in the presence of a proficient person makes the proficiency more "permanent" at an extremely accelerated rate -- including factual knowledge.

Weakness:  Sensory deprivation.  This is a two-way (or many-way) street though.  It's not enough that Wiseacre can't see or hear you -- you and everybody else can't see or hear Wiseacre.

That might seem like it's really just not activating his main ability, rather than an actual weakness, but he actually loses his "practiced" proficiencies as well.  In fact, under these conditions, he remembers relatively little (not nothing) since Calamity, since memory is really tied with the mental state in which the memory was formed, and much of that mental state doesn't actually belong to WiseAcre in the first place.

Evil manifestation:

He was tired of being ignored and thought of as less than he truly was, so now he inflicts the same curse upon others.  People with specialized skills are kept under his employ performing menial tasks, and specifically kept away from their areas of competence.  People without specialized skills are experimented on until they die.  His compound has constant, massive surveillance.

Note the nature of his ability isn't really a prime invincibility, but it makes him difficult to assassinate on purpose.  He is proficient at assassination around assassins; proficient at Epic biographies whenever a lorist is in contact; can take a pretty good guess at any approaching Epic's weakness; and is as good a shot as anybody trying to take him out.

He's more likely to have trouble in a random act of violence.

------------------------------------

Came up with another while doing the first.

Cheesy name:  The Surgeon

Primary power:  Shapeshift others.  Size can change, mental faculties may or may not change at the surgeon's discretion.  Your full mental faculties remain intact -- even if you are transformed into an insensate object like a statue.  You are, however, influenced by your new biochemistry.  After turning into a frog you will instinctively want to eat flies.  And you'll start to be attracted to frogs.  If you are transformed into a human of the opposite gender, you will *probably* (though not certainly) find your attractions shift over time.  You will age at a rate relative to the lifespan of the thing you were transformed into, so you could be aged forward a lot if you were a fly, and you could age not at all if you were an inanimate object.  You can also be explicitly shapeshifted back to a younger or older age.

This shift is permanent unless The Surgeon himself dismisses the shapeshifting.  Even if the weakness is invoked, previous shapeshifting remains in place.  If the Surgeon is killed, victims are trapped forever (similar to how Newcago didn't turn back from steel when Steelheart died).

To shapeshift you for the first time, you must be touched.

Secondary power:  Can remove previous shapeshifts at will, regardless of range.  That said, somebody who has been transformed into a statue for 10 years is pretty much guaranteed to be insane at release time.  This can be selective:  a man who is made younger and given horns can have the horns removed without re-aging him.  But new transformations can't be applied without being nearby:  somebody who was 80, then de-aged to physically 20, then turned into a mayfly and released for two weeks, will physically be about 80 again when the mayfly transformation is removed.  If the de-aging is removed, he would die imminently.

Weakness:  Powers do not work in the presence of something that fools The Surgeon into thinking it is something else.  Basically, something wearing a convincing disguise.

Note that the fact that the weakness triggers can actually cause The Surgeon to detect the disguise and get his powers back for a second attempt.  So you need something that is still convincing upon close examination, or possibly several decoys and a lot of confusion.  Certain Epics would be very good at this.

Evil manifestation:  Takes hostages in family groups, turning them into small animals, or their legs to stone, or whatever amuses him, to get others to serve him.  All of his hostages spend time back in their old body, but never the whole family at once.  This means people serve him to keep their family safe, but nobody dares try to kill him, because it will condemn their family to forever be transformed.

My real biggest fear in life is being a nobody, and become alone. Thankfully, I'm a somebody...but I'll try to base my powers around that.

1. I would have full immunity. It would be similar to Steelheart's impenetrable skin and Limelight's sheild and healing ability...I would be able to stand on my sheilds and fly around, so I can smash my fist into someone at high speed and not care about /me/. My offensive power would be my knowledge of hand to hand combat. A defensive Epic would be fun for a Reckoners book, eh? Also, this popped in my head, when I fall in love with someone or when I think someone's pretty, my powers would increase tenfold.

2. The weakness would be when I'm away from everyone, when I'm isolated. My power would be diminished when I'm not surrounded by people, so I have to be in busy streets and converse with people. (An epic that wants to kill everyone but can't, so you can imagine him sometimes being grumpy or frustrated).

3. My name? Immunological? Dangerous Flowers? Glowing Paradise? Suggestions anyone?

4. He's commonly viewed as an unpleasant short-tempered guy that likes flirting and hot chicks. (Mwahahaha, A Playa Epic). Um, usually goes to parties and become extremely drunk. Also he punches guys that upset him...a lot.

I think that would be a good epic to be included. That'd be awesome if Sanderson himself took this into consideration. Wowowowow.

I was going to post an epic with a sort of energy redirection, but he could take in energy, store it and release it in a different form, but then I read firefight and saw

Obliteration and Newton.

Edited by Redbird3000

Ravage

Very powerful telekinesis. Secondary would be super reflexes. One of my favourite techniques would be to telekinetically pull knives out of my belt and make them hover around my head, randomly shooting forward to stab my opponent.

Weakness would be if I feel fear, my powers stop working.

For fun, I randomly collapse buildings around me.

Still, it makes my mind go wild with speculation about encounters, fights, statuses, all the rest. I spend half the time waiting for the book by thinking too much about it, which makes me enjoy the book substantially less. Especially since (unless I am very lucky) I am going to be able to get it in about 5 months. Much more time to drive myself mad.

I know that i wrote it harshly, but I detest knowing things prior to reading, it colours my experience. I do not ever read the back cover pitch of a book. Actually, I do not do it until I feel intimately familiar with the book. And this is a bit more than a pitch, I believe.

Anyways, sorry if I was harsher than the Lord Ruler's thumb. I did not mean to be so rude when I wrote it.

• 5 weeks later...

Ability: Able to create a bubble of frozen time around myself to any degree, which cannot be entered or left. I move normally in it, at the same pace of the outside world, but everyone else is frozen. Yes, the bubble can be moved or expanded. There is no size limitation.

Being a Higher Epic, his Prime Invincibility means that a bubble is triggered one second before something would harm or kill him, enveloping only him. This means that, regardless of whether he is aware of your attempt, it is always foiled. For example, if you were to try and snipe him, frozen time would catch the bullet directly before it hits him.

In lesser powers, anything in frozen time weighs almost nothing to him. As an example, he could lift vehicles in frozen time with no effort. He can decide the exact amount of momentum anything has leaving frozen time, though not its direction. Going back to the previous example of were he to get shot, he could either stop the bullet's momentum completely or stop it, tap it to give it some momentum in the other direction, and then have it leave frozen time with its original momentum in the other direction, towards the shooter. The bullet must have some initial momentum, or he needs to tap it to give it some, for him to affect it.

People immunized to frozen time (see Weaknesses) still move more slowly and with less physical strength than he does in frozen time. He is also a Gifter, but if a field were drawn up around him by someone else, he would still be able to move at his normal pace. People whom he has Gifted his powers to cannot effortlessly lift anything in frozen time, and suffer the same speed and strength reduction as those immunized while in frozen time.

Weaknesses: If anyone in the bubble is asleep, drunk, high, mentally unstable, or otherwise not thinking properly, they are pulled in with me. Thus if you were asleep in the time bubble, for example, then you would wake up and be able to move at your normal pace instead of being frozen. If caught in the bubble like this even once, it will be unable to effect you again, even if you are caught in it while awake. Anyone immunized cannot move objects in frozen time.

Cheesy name: Stopwatch.

Evil Manifestation: Setting up intricate executions in stopped time to anyone who even annoys me. For example, if someone accidentally trips over me, I'd stop time at the moment they tripped, go find a rabid dog, and put him where I had been standing. If impatient for one of these executions, I'd simply create a bent time bubble that only contains half the target; the other half will still suffer normal time. In practical terms, half your head is in another dimension. This works even on people who have previously immunized themselves to my frozen time bubbles, as it works on anyone for the first tenth of a second after it is created. I'd use it in this way as a weapon, spamming time bubbles, creating, shattering and re-creating them a hundred times per second to slice my opponents to pieces. The edge of the bubble, when materialized over someone, acts like a blade.

When there is any protest or riot, Stopwatch will take a sack of bullets, head into the middle of it, freeze time, and place those bullets hovering into the air. Giving them a small tap to provide them with the momentum, the bullets would be facing all directions except where Stopwatch was standing. He would then increase their momentum to the point where they might as well have been shot from a gun, then break the time bubble.

Edited by TenzinKendrick

Epic name: Metronome
Primary power: Chronoperception- Metronome can tell the time with complete precision and also calculate the exact length of time needed for a given event to occur.
MO: Metronome spends his time trying to convince anyone that will listen that he is actually an Epic and not just a random Vanilla with a weird talent.

Okay we get these what superpower questions all the time so let's go a bit more Steelheart on this.

1. What would your power/secondary power be?

2. What is your weakness?

3. What is your cheesy name?

4. In what way does your inevitable evil manifest itself (why do ordinary people really hate you?)

A description of your costume would be fun as well.

Name: Magnitude

Power: Magnify and readuce vibrations. Stamp on the ground, magnify the vibration by a few million so it feels like a the ground moves in a wave flowing away from me. Toppling buildings etc. Flick a building and magnify vibration so it essentially explodes. Throw a pebble into a lake and cause a tidal wave.  

Secondary: Feel and read vibrations from close locations. Feel the vibration of someones footsteps long before they come into sight. Hear vibration of peoples whispered voices in the air from across the room. Can feel the vibration of peoples hearts and read the different emotion the heart betrays. Fear, anxiety, excitement, greif etc. so would tell if somone near me is about to shoot me, unless they could control their emotions perfectly.

Evil: Rage. I have a problem with rage anyway. I'd quite easily kill somone who cuts me up whilst i'm driving or really annoys me in some way. If I had these powers, I'm pretty sure I'd be pretty hard to calm down. E.g. Destory a city because someone didn't say thank you when I held the door open for them.

Weakness: No prime invincibilty, but being touched by a female negates my powers also. Women is my weakness now so having powers wouldn't likely change that lol.

Costume: Suit and tie. I wear a suit 6 days a week for work and twice a week for church. Feels like I wear nothing else. Don't see why that should change.

Edited by Tyson

Out of curiousity, how many people in this thread have read Firefight?

I don't think this is a big spoiler, but I'm being careful:

Given what we learn about weaknesses in Firefight could seriously effect that part of this thread.  I just think it might be good to make it clear that that might contain spoilers, or...something.  Or have a different thread.  Seriously, it could easily make you rethink what you choose.

Out of curiousity, how many people in this thread have read Firefight?

I don't think this is a big spoiler, but I'm being careful:

Given what we learn about weaknesses in Firefight could seriously effect that part of this thread.  I just think it might be good to make it clear that that might contain spoilers, or...something.  Or have a different thread.  Seriously, it could easily make you rethink what you choose.

In that case, my weakness would be HowToBasic videos.

Don't ask.