If you were an Epic?

Carcinios

Insomniac

I never need to sleep. You never need to sleep, if I feel like making it so. The sleep center of your brain and your circadian rhythms are completely at my whim, mine to do with what I please. I can put you to sleep or awaken you in an instant. I can give you insomnia. I can give you a full nights sleep without a single REM cycle. I can make you sleep so deeply it seems like you're in a coma. I can put you to sleep and ensure that you get no benefits from it - and you get a lot of benefits from sleep. Sleep aids in memory retention, keeps your immune system functional, and, of course, reenergizes you. I can stop all that by stopping you from ever sleeping again.

Not as strongly but certainly as much fun, I can makes parts of you "fall asleep." This requires a direct touch to the specific part of the body, but that's worth it for the amusement of watching you try to do things when all of your limbs are asleep. It's not especially debilitating, but it is annoying as all hell.

I have to be careful, though. Being near a record player is like Russian roulette. Less common nowadays, but anything recorded on vinyl in the late 1970s causes me immense physical pain and creates literal static in my brain, disrupting my abilities. Which is unfortunate, because now half of my record collection is my greatest weakness.

(This isn't supposed to be me, BTW. Just an Epic I thought of when I realized what an Epic named Doctor Funtimes would probably be like.) 

Name: Doctor Funtimes 

Primary Power: She can transform matter with minimal effort—turning a carrot into a gun with a snap of her fingers, for instance. Of course, she would be more likely to turn a gun into a live hamster, but that's just her. The only caveat: She can't transform living things, and she can't create human life. So in other words, turning a pile of leaves into a pile of kittens is doable, but turning a person into a statue is out of the question. 

Secondary Power: Teleportation. This served her well in San Diego. And Tucson. And Miami. And Newcago. Boy, did it come in handy in Newcago. That Fortuity guy wasn't happy about his toilet seat. 

Weakness: 

Famous-characters-Troll-face-Troll-face-

Evilness: She isn't evil. Calamity didn't work on her that way. She's just an Epic who likes to pull pranks, that's all. Okay, okay, so she did turn all of the sidewalks in downtown San Diego into Jell-O. But watching the Pink Pinkness try to run across that was hilarious! The way she kept going slip, slip, boing! All of those humans would've thought so, too, if the Pink Pinkness hadn't been so angry. Oh, she took it out on them? Psh. Some Epics have no sense of humor. The Pink Pinkness had it coming. So did those losers, for not joining Doctor Funtimes' amazing party! What do you mean, they'll never be able to look at a whoopee cushion the same way again? 

Costume: A trench coat that used to be beige before she threw water balloons filled with dye at it. Her khaki slacks are almost unrecognizable, thanks to the paint and ribbons covering them. Her long dark hair is almost always covered in glitter. Her socks never match. She hates it when they match. The only somewhat normal thing about her appearance is her square-frame glasses, and even then she changes the color daily. 

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

• 2 months later...

Powers: Telepathic control over all birds.  Ability to transform into a bird or birds of any species at will.  

Weakness: If I see a bird that is more than 500 miles out of its normal range, my powers are nullified until a minute after it is no longer in view.

Cheesy name: Aggravated Aviator.  

Costume design: Cheesy bird headdress and faux-winged suit.  

Inevitable evil: I would talk.  And talk.  And talk.  And talk.  And kill anybody who wouldn't listen.  

• 1 month later...

he could only be killed by someone who wasn't afraid of him.

• my powers would be psychic, precog and enhanced reflexes.
  • my weakness would be I could only be harmed by aluminum bullets have to go through the heart, shrapnel doesn't count.
  • normal people would hate me because nothing escapes my notice, epics hate me because I am a reckoner and they don't know my weakness and no one makes aluminu bullets or guns.
  • name would be psy-fi.
  • my outfit would be a long leather duster
  • my weapon of choice would be a recurve bow.

(This isn't supposed to be me, BTW. Just an Epic I thought of when I realized what an Epic named Doctor Funtimes would probably be like.) 

Name: Doctor Funtimes 

Primary Power: She can transform matter with minimal effort—turning a carrot into a gun with a snap of her fingers, for instance. Of course, she would be more likely to turn a gun into a live hamster, but that's just her. The only caveat: She can't transform living things, and she can't create human life. So in other words, turning a pile of leaves into a pile of kittens is doable, but turning a person into a statue is out of the question. 

Secondary Power: Teleportation. This served her well in San Diego. And Tucson. And Miami. And Newcago. Boy, did it come in handy in Newcago. That Fortuity guy wasn't happy about his toilet seat. 

Weakness: 

Famous-characters-Troll-face-Troll-face-

Evilness: She isn't evil. Calamity didn't work on her that way. She's just an Epic who likes to pull pranks, that's all. Okay, okay, so she did turn all of the sidewalks in downtown San Diego into Jell-O. But watching the Pink Pinkness try to run across that was hilarious! The way she kept going slip, slip, boing! All of those humans would've thought so, too, if the Pink Pinkness hadn't been so angry. Oh, she took it out on them? Psh. Some Epics have no sense of humor. The Pink Pinkness had it coming. So did those losers, for not joining Doctor Funtimes' amazing party! What do you mean, they'll never be able to look at a whoopee cushion the same way again? 

Costume: A trench coat that used to be beige before she threw water balloons filled with dye at it. Her khaki slacks are almost unrecognizable, thanks to the paint and ribbons covering them. Her long dark hair is almost always covered in glitter. Her socks never match. She hates it when they match. The only somewhat normal thing about her appearance is her square-frame glasses, and even then she changes the color daily.

These sound familiar. ;)

So...Nighthound is Dr. Funtimes's weakness? :P

They do. Sadly you didn´t find them before Funtimes was censored.

Nighthound prime is everyone´s weakness. :P

The censored one is her secondary weakness. More of a consequence than an actual chunk-of-glowing-Kryptonite weakness. It was her primary weakness until I tweaked her character, gave her a better outfit, and made her waaaayyyy crazier than the one you'd expect from this profile. ;) 

The censored one is her secondary weakness. More of a consequence than an actual chunk-of-glowing-Kryptonite weakness. It was her primary weakness until I tweaked her character, gave her a better outfit, and made her waaaayyyy crazier than the one you'd expect from this profile. ;)

Once Current!Funtimes' weakness has been revealed, I'd be curious to see what her original was. It's always interesting to see the process by which ideas shift and change. I designed one alien race that has gone through so many redesigns since its conception that it's hardly recognizable as the same species.

Once Current!Funtimes' weakness has been revealed, I'd be curious to see what her original was. It's always interesting to see the process by which ideas shift and change. I designed one alien race that has gone through so many redesigns since its conception that it's hardly recognizable as the same species.

I know what you mean. My WIP used to be set in an alternate history version of the 1920s, but now it's set thirty years in the future. How the heck did that happen? 

I know what you mean. My WIP used to be set in an alternate history version of the 1920s, but now it's set thirty years in the future. How the heck did that happen? 

Well if it's a time travel series then it's understandable. :P

I'd try to make some kind of knowledgeable comment about writing and how this sort of thing happens, but given that I don't have any writing achievements to my name, I think I'll just keep my trap closed about the topic. I have noticed that ideas tend to mutate over time, however, especially if you read a lot and expose yourself to new ideas on a regular basis.

You've actually made me curious about this WIP of yours. Do you mind saying anything about it?

• 4 weeks later...
Alternate Epic #1:

"Superstition"

Powers: 

What I believe, or convince myself in, will be true for me. The assumption, of course, is that the system I believe in is internally consistent, balanced and not what is considered OP in books like Sanderson's. This means direct influence over anyone is impossible for me, but if I believe that I am a rioter, I can swallow Zinc and burn it, utilizing the power as a real Rioter would. I cannot use two contradictory beliefs at the same time, for example, I cannot be a Windrunner-Edgedancer, and if I believe that I have 10k breaths, people will see the light distortion.

note: if I honestly believe that I am a gifter, it will be true. If I honestly believe I am a Windrunner, I will need to find stormlight. If I honestly believe that gravity does not work on me, I might just "float the storm away". But if I honestly believe that someone else is a Mistborn, I might just give them heavy metal poisoning.

Inherent Weaknesses:

This power is directly capped by what I can really believe, as well as what my minions can. It makes for very few people who I can really transfer to and be effective, and I am not sure how good I am in fooling myself. When a belief system is proven inconsistent, it will be unusable for me until I fix it.

Epic Weakness:

If I am too engaged in something (e.g. a book, or something that is happening), my powers are void. I will not be aware of it unless I happen to be actively using the powers at the moment. This means that in really dangerous situations, I am basically human, and thus checkmating me by giving me an engaging survival challenge can take away all of my defenses, as well.

Costume:

Probably some homage to favorite books. Like a mistcloak or something. Or a different sort of clothing each day (according to mood). Typical week:

Suit, Biker, Leather, Casual, Gay, 17th century France, Blade Runner, Naked

Evil:

Making homages to possibly obscure events, books, and anything in between. A hook down a neck, suspending a corpse in a flying position, that kind of thing. Also, anything else other Epics do.

Alternate Epic #2:

"Faceshift"

(also named in the streets "Elaine de Sad", a name I told my minions to spread, after the known sadist)

Powers:

Control over the body's form, which gives me the ability to control how my body is, including muscle, bone and fat amounts and their location, colour of the skin, eyes and hair, height, gender, as long as it can still be considered human. Invisibility, or example, is not a possible feat using it. I usually spend my time as a female whom I would be attracted to - hence the nickname "Elaine".

Complementary power - self-healing and reformation of the body. Defaults to current state of the body. While not exactly prime invincibility (it is not regeneration), it does make me harder to kill.

Weakness:

Learned, well-practiced practicioners of medicine (most chiefly, doctors). If I am aware of their immediate presence (i.e. that they are doctors and close), I cannot use the first power. If they wound me in any way, this wound could not be healed by my second power. It can be healed by time or medicine.

Alternately, my powers are void without the bracelet.

Costume:

Changes with the faces. The vast majority of the time, it will be tailored to complement the body well, although sometimes it will be utilitarian, for example when the body is made for combat. A friendship bracelet will always be present, with stripes in these colours: White, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Violet, White.

Evil:

I would not like getting my beautiful body and clothing soiled by the unworthy humans, so all killing will be either at a distance or in a way that produces very small amounts of blood. Instead, this Epic's casual evil ranges from the rare torture to the more common acts of sexual abuse, rape, and sexual acts that are public and humiliating - partially because they are so damaging to the soul. This is done by both genders, to people of both genders.

Yeah, I know I'm late to this thread. whatevah.

1. Power: 

2. Weakness

3. Why he's a jerk

4. Description

Predator

1. He has the collective abilities of the animal kingdom: regeneration, surviving the pressure at the bottom of the Marianas Trench, lifting 500 time his body weight, punching faster than the speed of sound(mantis shrimp), creating clones from amputated body parts(starfish), etc.

He can also completely or partially transform into any creature, example: he could simply grow a pair of wings or he could turn into a heron, or he could turn into a heron with a scorpion tail. Transformations do not have to be the size of the actual creature. Can also sense fear.

can't transform if sprayed with flea-treatment. however, he can still use abilities of whatever form he's in.

3. He hates humans, except children.

4. When human he's tall and muscular and with brown skin. He wears dark grey cargo pants, a o.d. green shirt, and a dark grey vest.

White Noise

1. Can shut's down the senses of everything within 10 miles. this is a permanent effect within a 50 foot radius. Everything becomes a blur and all that can be heard is white noise. He can choose to shut down one of the five or all of them. secondary powers make him undetectable by any device or power unless you're within a 100 feet. Can sense life within a mile radius and has limited extrasensory abilities that alert him of danger. Also utilizes an extensive spy network. Has a teleportation epic as a body guard, along with some well trained minions. 

Fur Elise on violin. When he hears the last note he will lose his power for 30 minutes. Also, when using his powers over a large area he cannot selectively protect his minions, which can make them vulnerable and less effective

3. He's known for being willing to play both sides, helping either Epics or humans.

4. An unassuming man of average height and build. Wears a casual suit without a tie. Loves music and can actually play most instruments. Sometimes misses being human.

Edited by Fatebreaker

• 1 month later...

Primary power: Illusionist. I can create both light and sound. I also have two different types of illusions, one that I can see/hear but no one else can, and one that everyone else can see/hear but doesn't exist to me. If I make an illusion of a wall between us, you won't be able to see me, but I can see (and shoot) you. The illusions that only affect me are great for having my own personal theme song playing exclusively for me and for practicing. I can also do complete invisibility--the illusions that affect only others won't block my eyes. 

Secondary power: Super speed. I can move as fast as I want. However, my reaction times do not improve, and my feet can only get so much traction. And if I'm running at 100 mph and trip, I'm going to die. This is far more useful for short bursts--I can move my legs faster and accelerate faster than anyone else. I can move my legs as fast as I want, so long as I don't slip. I can quick-draw a gun at impossible speeds and throw punches and dodge as fast as I can think to do it. When I'm taking it easy and having fun, I can move fast all day. But when I truly put effort and push myself, I will get tired. 

Cruelty: I'm a prankster, through and through. A merciless prankster who finds it funny when you take a fall and kill yourself, whether you thought there was ground there or I simply pushed you. It's also funny to punch you in the face. And to slash your cars tires at a stoplight. And to scare you with an illusion. But when it comes to serious combat, I'm ruthless. I'm throwing up an illusion wall, dashing to the side, quick-drawing my gun and blowing a hole in your head. If I can't win fast, I'm a coward and will run. 

Weakness: Anyone who is laughing can see through my illusions. 

Name: I enjoy annoying people. So, I make up a name, use their name, give them something ridiculous or with a meaning I find amusing. 

Primary Power: I would have the ability to turn into the mist. Sort of like Nightwielder, but with mist. I can control the water vapor, so I could make it rain and absorb the water from the lakes and stuff. I could manipulate the weather. I can make the mists solid, well, solid enough that it can imprison rival Epics.

Secondary Power: Regeneration, if you can hit me.

Weakness: I am weak to people who have turned 5 in the last 24 hours. 

Cruelty: I like to kill people slowly. You can't stop me, I'll eradicate a village, a town, a city, a country, a continent.

Name: Ghostslayer

Description: I go around as a ghostly apparitions, long ghostly white hair flowing behind.

Primary Power: I would have the ability to turn into the mist. Sort of like Nightwielder, but with mist. I can control the water vapor, so I could make it rain and absorb the water from the lakes and stuff. I could manipulate the weather. I can make the mists solid, well, solid enough that it can imprison rival Epics.

Secondary Power: Regeneration, if you can hit me.

Weakness: I am weak to people who have turned 5 in the last 24 hours. 

Cruelty: I like to kill people slowly. You can't stop me, I'll eradicate a village, a town, a city, a country, a continent.

Name: Ghostslayer

Description: I go around as a ghostly apparitions, long ghostly white hair flowing behind.

--Rated "N" for Nightmare Inducing.

• 1 month later...

Two epics, one more serious, one just for fun.  I'll let you decide which is which. 

Epic #1:

Name: Deceit

Primary Power:  Near Perfect Mind Reading - Unlimited range on this one, but the farther away, the greater the focus required.  Also, more focus is required when searching for specific thoughts/memories.  So, in a room full of people, this epic could perfectly read stream of consciousness thoughts and accurately predict exactly what every person is going to do based on those thoughts.  However, if he/she (haven't decided a gender) wanted to know a specific secret or bit of information, they would have to focus on the specific person, blocking out the thoughts of others.  He/she can also use personal connections to hop from one mind to another (example, reading your mind could allow him to locate and jump to the mind of anyone you know.  This process is easier the better you know the person).  This power also functions as an almost prime invincibility, as it gives pre-cog like powers, except it does not work on non-sentient objects.

Secondary Powers:  Mental (as in not light-based) illusion generation, and shape shifting. 

Weakness: Mind Reading and Illusion powers do not work on people he/she cares for.  This is especially debilitating since her/his mind reading powers act as supernatural empathy.  The more time this epic spends in the mind of another, the more she/he comes to understand that person, and is more likely to care for them.  Thus, the full extent of this primary power is used conservatively to avoid triggering the weakness. 

Brand of Evil - Liar liar pants of fire.  Enjoys making people believe things that are not true just for the the fun of it, uses abilities to cause general confusion and chaos. 

Epic #2

Name: Ms. Frizzle. 

Primary Power:  Can endow any school bus with the transformative powers and limited sentience.  This power can only be used on one bus at a time.  There are no limits of the bus's transformative capabilities, and it is also able to transform anyone who is inside at the time of transformation.

Secondary Power:  The ability to create perfectly matched thematic outfits at will. 

Weakness:  Her powers don't work when she is afraid.  Good thing she isn't afraid of anything ;)

Brand of Evil:  Enjoys putting third graders in life and death situations for educational purposes. 

EDIT: Realized this is a bit off topic since I'm not saying which epic I would be.  Let's say I'd be Deceit, and in that case the gender would be male.  Though, on the other hand, I would also totally love to be Ms. Frizzle, so I guess it works either way. 

Two epics, one more serious, one just for fun. I'll let you decide which is which.

Epic #1:

Name: Deceit

Primary Power: Near Perfect Mind Reading - Unlimited range on this one, but the farther away, the greater the focus required. Also, more focus is required when searching for specific thoughts/memories. So, in a room full of people, this epic could perfectly read stream of consciousness thoughts and accurately predict exactly what every person is going to do based on those thoughts. However, if he/she (haven't decided a gender) wanted to know a specific secret or bit of information, they would have to focus on the specific person, blocking out the thoughts of others. He/she can also use personal connections to hop from one mind to another (example, reading your mind could allow him to locate and jump to the mind of anyone you know. This process is easier the better you know the person). This power also functions as an almost prime invincibility, as it gives pre-cog like powers, except it does not work on non-sentient objects.

Secondary Powers: Mental (as in not light-based) illusion generation, and shape shifting.

Weakness: Mind Reading and Illusion powers do not work on people he/she cares for. This is especially debilitating since her/his mind reading powers act as supernatural empathy. The more time this epic spends in the mind of another, the more she/he comes to understand that person, and is more likely to care for them. Thus, the full extent of this primary power is used conservatively to avoid triggering the weakness.

Brand of Evil - Liar liar pants of fire. Enjoys making people believe things that are not true just for the the fun of it, uses abilities to cause general confusion and chaos.

Epic #2

Name: Ms. Frizzle.

Primary Power: Can endow any school bus with the transformative powers and limited sentience. This power can only be used on one bus at a time. There are no limits of the bus's transformative capabilities, and it is also able to transform anyone who is inside at the time of transformation.

Secondary Power: The ability to create perfectly matched thematic outfits at will.

Weakness: Her powers don't work when she is afraid. Good thing she isn't afraid of anything ;).

Brand of Evil: Enjoys putting third graders in life and death situations for educational purposes.

EDIT: Realized this is a bit off topic since I'm not saying which epic I would be. Let's say I'd be Deceit, and in that case the gender would be male. Though, on the other hand, I would also totally love to be Ms. Frizzle, so I guess it works either way.

Don't be silly. Everyone knows The Friz is really a Time Lord with a bus-shaped TARDIS. :P

Epic name: The Glut
Primary power: Choco-location, knows the precise location of all chocolate within the same solar system as him.
Secondary power: Pure energy! - Can gain different powers by eating different types of chocolate, dark chocolate increases his healing factor, white chocolate causes him to become intangible, milk chocolate increases his strength.